Property Tenants (Potential Guidelines/Rules)

Dust

Evening all,

(Disclaimer)

I'm not sure whether this has been discussed or mentioned before and if it has, I'm sorry about bringing it up again.

I've recently joined the community about 2 weeks ago so my information on how everything is supposed to work is fairly limited. 

It came to my attention twice that some property owners on the server are allowing multiple tenants to rent their property. This is going to be a touchy subject and I'd just like to let everyone know that this isn't to start an argument or to annoy anyone, I'm simply giving my opinion on a matter I think to be completely BS and unrealistic. 

I found a place to rent in mirror park last week. I was really happy as it was a one bedroom house with a garage. I thought I hit the jackpot in what seems to be a pretty difficult housing situation. Anyways, that's besides the point. The point is I went home one night after working at a bar and I noticed another player in the house. It then made me realise that whoever owns this property is clearly renting to multiple tenants to (in my opinion) abuse the script to make money.

It simply doesn't make sense for a ONE bedroom house to have 8 tenants living under the same roof. (I found the number through an admin). 

Different circumstances could lead to multiple tenants living under the same roof such as a mutual agreement between friends but this wasn't the case. This was me living in the same house with a complete stranger. 

I rent in real life and if I was to come home after work to find a stranger moving his things in to my place I would be calling my landlord straight away and taking legal action.

My point from this thread is for us to have a discussion about how we can make this more realistic. Property owners should have to follow fair guidelines and rules to prevent this non-RP happening.

What do you guys think? You think a small interior with one bedroom can fit 8 strangers? Possibly 2 in the bed, one in the bath tub and the rest on the floor perhaps? (joke)

I look forward to hearing your suggestions!

Edited by Tex96
  • Upvote 6

Nah, yeah, that must've been a hell of an encounter. Don't think it should be allowed especially given the frequency of houses available on GTA V compared to previous games where a housing issue would've been prominent. This should definitely be looked into, and amended to a certain extent. Having 6+ people renting out a one bedroom's kinda iffy.

I'd imagine it making sense if you had a large, poor, family or something alike, but otherwise, no.

• Upvote 1

I would strongly advice the developers to just throw in an OOC message something along the lines of "Make sure you're renting out the property in a realistic way, any abuse of the rental system will result in OOC punishment." whenever a user makes their property rentable. This will serve as a deterrent to people abusing it as trying to track down people that abuse this or implement scripts is just a waste of developer time.

Or, another suggestion would be to add an expiry to renting, such that the owner would /setrentable and for the next X minutes the property is rentable, after that it is no longer rentable til the owner of the property does the /setrentable command again. This will combat the issue of randoms renting a place without the landlord's knowledge and ruining the roleplay for the actual tenants.

here we have an IC and OOC problem.

IC, making a contract with the terms and conditions, if the contract specifies that there will only be one tenant and you find more people living inside the house, it may result in complaints and lawsuits, unless the contract specifies that there will be more tenants in the house, I always do the RP of the contract in which only me and my tenant will live in the same house, and no one else.

OOC, Many people don't do a contract RP, so they abuse the script and abuse of the new tenant, even deceiving and hiding data, since they can rent the property but omitting the fact that there are or will be more tenants, which is lacking totally meaningless, because when you enter the house if there are many tenants or minimally there are people living inside, you will see it and you will know it, but due to the time differences and that no one does a 24-hour RP at home,  you won't be able to see it.

1 hour ago, Dios said:

Nah, yeah, that must've been a hell of an encounter. Don't think it should be allowed especially given the frequency of houses available on GTA V compared to previous games where a housing issue would've been prominent. This should definitely be looked into, and amended to a certain extent. Having 6+ people renting out a one bedroom's kinda iffy.

I'd imagine it making sense if you had a large, poor, family or something alike, but otherwise, no.

I agree, there are definitely circumstances where having multiple tenants would be realistic. I just think there are a lot of cases currently in the server that don't make much sense.

1 hour ago, adamplayer said:

I would strongly advice the developers to just throw in an OOC message something along the lines of "Make sure you're renting out the property in a realistic way, any abuse of the rental system will result in OOC punishment." whenever a user makes their property rentable. This will serve as a deterrent to people abusing it as trying to track down people that abuse this or implement scripts is just a waste of developer time.

Or, another suggestion would be to add an expiry to renting, such that the owner would /setrentable and for the next X minutes the property is rentable, after that it is no longer rentable til the owner of the property does the /setrentable command again. This will combat the issue of randoms renting a place without the landlord's knowledge and ruining the roleplay for the actual tenants.

Good ideas, should be discussed further and see what others think!

39 minutes ago, Jennie said:

here we have an IC and OOC problem.

IC, making a contract with the terms and conditions, if the contract specifies that there will only be one tenant and you find more people living inside the house, it may result in complaints and lawsuits, unless the contract specifies that there will be more tenants in the house, I always do the RP of the contract in which only me and my tenant will live in the same house, and no one else.

OOC, Many people don't do a contract RP, so they abuse the script and abuse of the new tenant, even deceiving and hiding data, since they can rent the property but omitting the fact that there are or will be more tenants, which is lacking totally meaningless, because when you enter the house if there are many tenants or minimally there are people living inside, you will see it and you will know it, but due to the time differences and that no one does a 24-hour RP at home,  you won't be able to see it.

I understand your points. I quite like the idea of a contract but not sure if that should be forced upon property owners (I know that isn't what you were saying).  As for OOCly I agree with you, not everyone is going to do contracts which is understandable, it's still a game at the end of the day.

On a side note, I understand people want to make a profit, I totally get that but at the end of the day there should be a limit. Like I said above some of these places just make no sense to have many tenants. I also think that the person that begins renting should have access to information of the owner so they are able to contact them ICly and have the potential of resolving it in game. 

Edited by Tex96
  • Upvote 1

Totally agree, it's bollocks that 8 people can rent one property. More to the point, we live in 2020 where health and safety regulations would have to adhere to. Moreover, a tenancy agreement would be done regardless and would state how many occupants are legally allowed to live in the property. I also experienced this in mirror park whereby many people were renting the same property as me. It kills the immersion. Furthermore, there would be some clause to state that you cannot have some sort of shared rental ownership. I can understand if it was a flat / room mate that has been agreed upon, however, any random tom dick and harry should not be able to /rentproperty unless you spoke to the landlord and asked if a 'friend' could move in / partner. If it is a 1 bedroom property, you could have 2 people in it, perhaps under the owners discretion could you have a friend sleep on the couch temporarily but not leasing permanently. Where I'm from this would be illegal. IRL. 

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, pateuvasiliu said:

I literally called the cops on a surprise room mate once. I got told to ''take it IC'' when I complained that this was a clear abuse of the script, as realistically no one would accept to rent a 1 bed house that already has someone sleeping there.

It should be against the rules.

I agree!

I did find it quite funny when I found out there were 8 tenants, sure some of them are inactive but that isn’t the point.

I was also told I’d be updated about the report but the admin never got back to me as I assume it isn’t considered a priority by the admin team.

Any other opinions and/or suggestions are welcome! 

Thanks to everyone that has shown support so far, it’s appreciated. 

Edited by Tex96

I really like the realistic renting approach. I don't like the approach of letting just anyone rent, and letting them rent through a command especially. The housing market would be much more realistic if we had to arrange such landlord arrangements ICly. Sure, you should be able to have 8 people in a one bed if you REALLY want to in my opinion, but it should have to be facilitated ICly. 

• Upvote 1
18 minutes ago, shareef2 said:

I really like the realistic renting approach. I don't like the approach of letting just anyone rent, and letting them rent through a command especially. The housing market would be much more realistic if we had to arrange such landlord arrangements ICly. Sure, you should be able to have 8 people in a one bed if you REALLY want to in my opinion, but it should have to be facilitated ICly. 

Thanks for the post.

I agree that the housing market should be more realistic and I've been told by management that they are currently reviewing the current system and in the process of coming up with a better way of handling renting.

I agree on your last comment (about the 8 tenants) but I have a little point to make. Although yes, if you really wanted to you could have 8 tenants in a one bedroom, I would argue that this should be considered illegal (as it would be in real life). As long as everything is dealt with IC'ly and the owner of the property is aware that what he is doing is against the law, I have no issues with it at all!

My main issue about all this is, is the fact that people are renting to multiple people to make more money, which in my opinion is abusing the script. 

Edited by Tex96