Hector Arellano: Wrong Path

Centi

Introduction:

Growing up in Rancho wasn't as hard as we thought it would be at first... Since pops made it through the selection process for a unit in the projects, I didn't realise how gang infested the area was until I hit around thirteen. Sometimes you just can't help but notice how heavy the activity is. 
Pops never really trusted me with kicking it with other homeboys from the block, he'd always ask who's this and who's that, snoop around my shit being over protective and all that. But you know, nobody stays the same, he changed after mom died, stopped caring all of a sudden, I get it though, I did too for a while. Her death came outta nowhere, nobody expected it but we all got over it with time, except him.
Crib felt more lonely as time passed, at some point I started going outside alot more, met kids my age and got along with most of them. Every now and then we'd notice a big homie riding down the street in a cool whip and a perfect chick, ballin an all that. We'd talk about it, you know, that's what being "cool" meant to us back then. We all had dreams, we all wanted to be like those "big homies" on the block, we just didn't know what it takes to get there. My brain never really thought past school.

N7Zn3Lt.png

Book I: Fourteen

DQGqd39.png

Chapter 1: JC

Justin, or JC was one of the people I got along with back then, he was young too and none of us were blind, it's not like he hides his ink or anything. Oh man, this dude was BAD influence, sometimes he tries to encourage me and the other kids to do shit like bang up a wall, nothing too heavy. It was all fun and games, and if you didn't tag along? You'd just be a loser and a lame in your friends' eyes and obviously no kid my age wants that. 
I remember the first time he put a couple of spray cans in my backpack, he told me specifically what I was supposed to ruin the walls with, so I did. Maybe I had no idea what the fuck the words meant, or maybe I just didn't care as much as I should have.

w1oyhDd.png

Running down the alley after being spotted by a cruiser made me feel a little scared I'm not gonna lie, but the excitement hit hard after I was safe back on the block. I never got this much attention from an official before in my life, this was the first time.

Chapter 2: Their reasons

Luis and Brycen. These two were my closest friends. Luis was the smart one, he'd always think five times before he does something, which made him the lamest because he always plays it safe when it comes to anything that could be dangerous. Brycen on the other hand didn't give two fucks about danger, he was young and a bad influence too. 

There's only a few reasons for somebody to ride, some are born into it, some are doing it for home support, and some kids just have no guidance. With us it was a little different. While young around a gang you tend to like fashion and expensive things, we weren't introduced to drugs by the high-ups yet so we could get the things we like. You could notice from the way we talked that we wanted to be "cool" too, find somewhere to fit in, we felt as if being in a gang would've made us better than anybody who isn't. Maybe we didn't have the balls to reach out though, or maybe we were just scared. After all, this is just talk, we're so fucking young and, us in a fucking street gang? ...Nah that's crazy.

Chapter 3: Marcia

CS2CBfP.png

Growing up on the block brainwashed all of us when it came to Surenos, we believed everything we heard from the side of the greenlit gang without hearing the other side of the story. We've grown to hate them more and more as time passed, it became a habit at some point. 
I was once on my way to the clothing store in Strawberry, that's when I met Marcia. She was a street worker from Chamberlain, a Sureno hood. She was fucking crazy, man. Public indecendy was her kink, I guess... She kept texting me after we first met and I wasn't really interested, so I decided to share the conversation with Brycen. He suggested that we rob her, said it'd be "cool" and "gangster". I never robbed someone before, I mean... so many things can go wrong, right? I'm already nervous.

UlsqRZM.png

6dDSC1B.png

wuv1iTf.png

It went surprisingly well, my mind took a while to process it though... And when Brycen emptied her shit on the table? It was more than what pops gives me in six fucking months. 

Chapter 4: Lin and her niner

tNnPrep.png

I never understood Linette, me and the boys had a theory that she might be a vampire when we were younger.
She got a baby in the house, not sure if it's her sister's or whose it is, but what I knew is that she kept a gun in the house for safety. Me and Brycen had that "Guns are cool guns are gangsta!" mentality. We visited her and she showed us her gun... It was the first time I held a gun, Brycen's first time too probably. We posed in front of my phone's camera with it like the dumbasses we were, I was a little uneasy around it I won't lie, but holding a gun for the first time obviously made us feel powerful, even though we were joking around and trying to act all gangsta and goofed around it alot, we respected how lethal the firearm was.

Chapter 5: Maybe step it up a little

After that thing with Marcia. We really appreciated how much cash we got from her, we enjoyed it all, spent it on clothes, food, video games, all that fun shit. We wanted to do it again, it seemed like easy money, who doesn't like money? But our ignorant asses didn't think about the risks. We robbed somebody else a few days later, this time we both had knives and the man might've had a bulge on his waist. We took his expensive watch and some cash, Brycen was pleased, we parted ways and I went home, took some time to finally think about the risks, what if the man had a gun and we slipped? What if he shot us and we lost our lives for a few papers and a watch? Made me think back of when Linette let me hold her gun. Imagine how easier it would be if we had straps instead of four inch blades?

Edited by Centi
  • Upvote 10
  • Applaud 1

Book II: Value

You can't value your life too high around these parts, you might lose it all of a sudden just like that, even if you're not caught up in any suspicious shit.

yCce5ey.png

To this day I still don't know that I had a gun aimed at my head, I didn't see past the tint. The guy was just baked, he could've pulled the trigger for no reason and everything would've went dark. I went back home clueless, watched a movie to sleep, thank God for that tint, I would've needed sleeping pills if I seen the MAC.

Chapter 6: Barbie and Maria

azsllSZ.jpg

Not gonna lie, Barbie was a bitch the first time we talked, straight up lost interest in the conversation and walked away without saying a thing. Maybe she was on her period or some shit, I didn't take it personally. We live on the same block and hang out with the same people, of course we'd get closer sooner or later, and eventually we did. One time we went out to bang up walls across the tracks, I can't remember why... But she had this crazy idea of sneaking INSIDE an op's crib and banging up his walls from the inside, crazy right? Yeah after that I realised that we'd get along just fine. She was as young as we were, and she never took shit from anybody, which I really liked about her. Last time I walked by Barbie's crib, I found two black dudes living there. I called her a few times and nobody answered, I thought I said or did something wrong and made her ignore me. If only I knew that the poor teenager overdosed in her crib and died earlier.
She had a best friend called Maria. Maria had problems, mental problems, which made her take some kind of prescription pills, but often she abuses them for recreational purposes. Knowing how young she was and the fact that she had nobody to guide her, of course she'd get addicted. Her reactions to the drugs made people dislike her, which made her feel alone most of the time and there's nothing worse than loneliness. I myself didn't care what others thought about her, I liked talking to her, she was interesting. 
Here's the sad part; Me and Maria got together a few weeks later, we got so used to each other to the point that she droppd the L bomb way too early into the relationship. I put so much effort into helping her quit her addiction and into being there for her, only to find out that she fucking died from inside a jail cell. 

In4wCUi.png

Chapter 7: Amateurs

I mentioned being in a jail cell earlier, right? So we've attracted some attention after hitting a few licks, the big homies noticed the drip and we weren't so quiet about it. I don't know what Brycen spent his money on, but I know I spent some of it on a piece.
This is Los Santos, it ain't hard to get strapped up. When I showed Brycen the gun he was so excited. It was a quiet day, streets empty, I carried the pistol with me for extra cool points like the dumbass I was as I walked with Brycen around the block. We spotted some dude by his lonely, I peered around and I couldn't see anybody else.

Qr0bU5W.png

We didn't have any masks, we thought we were scary enough for the guy to just run away and forget about it, but he walked up later with a bunch of cops after snitching.
Best part is, we were just kids and they found nothing on us, no evidence supporting the snitch's claims. They let us go after a few hours. I don't think he enjoyed watching me and Brycen walk out of the station so early.

iUA75HE.png

Chapter 8: Plan B

U8syED9.png

Jo's one of the teenagers from the block, sometimes she says or does the goofiest shit ever but we all still loved her. The thing I like most about her is how she takes the "bullying" well by learning from it and becoming a better version of herself. I don't know what kind of fucked up problems she got going on in her head, but I know that she is most comfortable when hanging out with us on the block. She works at the local 24/7 store yet her clothes are sometimes more expensive than everything in my wardrobe combined, she even showed me a diamond necklace once. No way she makes all that bread from the store, right?

vOAL2N5.png

She was under Camila's wing along with a few other young chicas, Cam sells them work and it's always a win-win at the end of the day for everybody, they all make their fair share of paper. I've always seen Jo push drugs out in the streets but never stuck my nose in her business, never really talked to her about it. She made it look easy though, got me all curious and interested.

Getting locked up got me expelled from school, they didn't fucking like me anyway, maybe it's because I was brown. It's all they love doing to us, either lock us out or lock us in. Who gives a fuck anyways, fuck school right? Pops at this point stopped caring a while ago too, I had to find a way to support myself, he's in a bad condition and the day he passes away is the day I become all alone out here.

((Shoutout @ch0lo for the characters' artworks))

• Upvote 4
  • Banks locked this topic