Roleplaying the CoronaVirus situation from your character POV.

Just now, Daquan Kingston said:

It is a completely personal choice based on your character's persona. I will have to say however that you should know that this is beyond our own selves, as we can contaminate people with a weaker immune system so I would advise you OOCly to be a little bit more altruistic and responsible.

If I get any symptoms I'll of course stay home,I'm not a meat head, and don't give me advice on how to live any part of my life on a OOC level unless I ask you to do so. It comes across as condensing, especially with the "responsible" part. 

Agreed. The thread is just reminding us to ensure consistency in how we portray our characters. 

That’s to say, if we’ve been portraying an informed, law-abiding character who keeps abreast of world and national affairs because that character generally cares about what's happening around him or her, then a pandemic — one whose reach includes the country in which your character lives, and one over which several U.S. states have declared a state of emergency  — should cause your character to feel some concern and you should be portraying that in a way that’s compatible with how you’ve been portraying your character’s nature. But if, on the other hand, it is not in your character’s nature to care (and you’ve been consistently portraying your character that way) then your character is free to show indifference without running into questionable portrayal.

Essentially, just because staff have announced that a local outbreak will not be officially sanctioned does not mean characters who have consistently cared for world or national affairs can suddenly ignore this pandemic. While their decision does mean the incidence of COVID-19 here will stay at zero, it is not a licence for everyone to portray their character being indifferent. In short, just make sure your reaction is compatible with how you’ve been portraying your character.

• Applaud 1
4 minutes ago, Midsummer Night's Dream said:

Agreed. The thread is just reminding us to ensure consistency in how we portray our characters. 

That’s to say, if we’ve been portraying an informed, law-abiding character who keeps abreast of world and national affairs because that character generally cares about what's happening around him or her, then a pandemic — one whose reach includes the country in which your character lives, and one over which several U.S. states have declared a state of emergency  — should cause your character to feel some concern and you should be portraying that in a way that’s compatible with how you’ve been portraying your character’s nature. But if, on the other hand, it is not in your character’s nature to care (and you’ve been consistently portraying your character that way) then your character is free to show indifference without running into questionable portrayal.

Essentially, just because staff have announced that a local outbreak will not be officially sanctioned does not mean characters who have consistently cared for world or national affairs can suddenly ignore this pandemic. While their decision does mean the incidence of COVID-19 here will stay at zero, it is not a licence for everyone to portray their character being indifferent. In short, just make sure your reaction is compatible with how you’ve been portraying your character.

This assumes everything in the most perfect way. Glad to see I am not the only one to look at it this way.

We are a high RP server I suppose people should manage. And real events like these would make RP more interesting. How? Well you have a case let’s say... you call FD and you give em a chance to wear hazmat suits and something new. Not a daily fire or car accident. Plus it reassures you’re going along with reality of what’s happening in the real world. My character is scared because the stocks are going down but since no one RPs it are we in a parallel world?

59 minutes ago, Chuck Lee said:

We are a high RP server I suppose people should manage. And real events like these would make RP more interesting. How? Well you have a case let’s say... you call FD and you give em a chance to wear hazmat suits and something new. Not a daily fire or car accident. Plus it reassures you’re going along with reality of what’s happening in the real world. My character is scared because the stocks are going down but since no one RPs it are we in a parallel world?

You're not alone, I'm RPing my character worried as well and I'm avoid nightclubs/bars and places with high amount of people too.

I honestly am leaving Belgium and going to Romania due to fears of Coronavirus, my university closed and a lot of people are sick here in Belgium. Romania is putting anyone coming from infected areas into quarantine and the situation is dire in Italy, a lot of people dying.

I am strongly against roleplaying CoronaVirus at this time.

• Upvote 1

If you want to passively RP the current events of the Corona Virus epidemic... Then by all means, run with it! Go buy out hand sanitizer and disinfectants from your local 24/7, or RP watching the news and panicking ICly... I think it would be selfish (not saying you are) to suggest others do the same..... 

Character development and all that jive is awesome... But some people (Me being one of them) like to focus on goals that don't exactly dwell on developing a fear of a OOC current event.... Nor would I enjoy the virus being allowed in game, as it would be merely a troll fest, with no real base of RP'ers to contribute effectively, or ineffectively to solving such an issue.

• Cara locked this topic