The Corona virus in Los Santos

Hugh-Gi-Oh

COVID-19, aka the Corona Virus, has reached Los Angeles, and it's hitting it hard. There's over a dozen cases already, and as of wednesday last week, Los Angeles county and city officials have declared a state of emergency

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-03-04/los-angeles-county-declares-coronavirus-emergency-6-new-cases

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-03-01/heres-where-coronavirus-cases-have-been-reported-in-california

This is of course really terrible, but the question is, what's this mean for our RP?!

Los Angeles is Los Santos (debatable, the continuity is yet to be decided by the administration, but I'm gonna assume so in here), so I think it'd be reasonable to assume that the fourteen-or-so cases in Los Angeles also imply that there are just as many cases in Los Santos. 

What can't we just assume,though? We can't just assume that Los Santos is in a state of emergency. We need the government faction to actually put it in a state of emergency. And I think we should do that.

What does a state of emergency mean for us?

Not all that much. A state of emergency allows the government to act with less restrictions. In some cases that means that the police don't have to wait for approval before undergoing operations. It can mean that citizens are forced to change their daily routines. Only under the most extreme circumstances, it can even mean curfew and martial law. The exact limits of this particular state of emergency will have to be decided by the government. Fortunately, the extent of a state of emergency can all be found in our good old Wickerpedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_of_emergency

Why even bother?

Because emergency breeds panic and paranoia, and that's an interesting setting to RP in. News agencies use the 'state of emergency' as a cool headline, "Los Angeles is now in a state of emergency!". In reality, that barely means anything for the citizens, really, but try googling "What does the Los Angeles state of emergency mean for me?" and you won't find that much answers. Because news agencies profit off panic and paranoia. And y'know what? So do RPrs! Panic and paranoia are fun things to RP! Where I live IRL, the stores have been raided almost empty of hand soap and sanitizer, and a bottle of soap now costs you fifteen bucks. Fifteen bucks! Per bottle! Preppers are a thing, panic is a thing, people freaking out way too much over way too little is a thing, and even though it's all really sad and terrible, it's also an interesting change in setting for RP that still aligns with realism while deriving from the usual stuff we go through every single day in this server. 

Players! Call FD more with pointless paranoia about the corona virus. Create some more RP that's not only gunshot wounds and script fires for FD. 

Gov and legal factions! Start a state of emergency and use those newfound powers to excercise your full legal capabilities on these dumb citizens!

Admins! Start an epidemic! Create more server-wide events! It'll be fun! It'll be glooorious! 

Or not. What do you guys think? Maybe you think this is a terrible idea. Tell me. 

• Upvote 3

I'm not sure if I want to say yes to this for realism or no because I personally wouldn't enjoy it. We're dealing with the virus irl already, one country more than the other. Do we really want to bother going on a video game and deal with the same issues? I'd rather have a break of it all. 

33 minutes ago, Hugh-Gi-Oh said:

Admins! Start an epidemic! Create more server-wide events! It'll be fun! It'll be glooorious! 

as much as I'd love to do clickbait shit on the server, some people on the server can barely roleplay at a basic level, no thanks.