Jail sentences and their given times.

Dustyboi

If you had actually read my post carefully, you’d see I started from a hypothetical perspective to illustrate the issues with monotonous counselling.  I didn’t actually say our public defenders were in a trance-like state. 

I did not say our criminal court is monotonous. In fact, I used the word “becoming,” and expressly said it was “on the cusp of becoming [so].”  

I am typically very particular with my words; please don’t distort them.

@TNG

What’s the controversy over saying that the criminal docket is becoming monotonous, anyway?

Is guilty plea after guilty plea, day in and day out, not repetitive?  And haven’t defendants been doing that lately? 

I haven't made this personal in the most significant stance

(Look at how many times the words “you” and “you’re” appear in your first reply.  You virtually made the subject about I was talking about myself when it originally wasn’t.  That’s not taking it personal?)

Edited by Midsummer Night's Dream
27 minutes ago, Midsummer Night's Dream said:

TNG, I didn’t insinuate anything about myself.  Please keep this impersonal as I have everyone else has been doing so far.

(By the way, I didn’t suggest solutions but an obvious one would be overhauling recruitment and training)

At the end of the day this is a game, and people roleplay what they want to roleplay. Some people may watch a show like Better Call Saul or Suits and suddenly be inspired to roleplay an attorney. Whether their interest sparks from a show, an interest in law or just the roleplay surrounding it, it's important to understand the people behind the characters and the practicality of everything from a wide perspective. GTA: World is a community consisting of people from across the world. This is reflected in the judiciary as it consists of players of all walks of life, and have an interest in law. They aren't all law students, and they don't all have an absolute perfect understanding of the various fields in law. 

That said, I the judiciary is doing a pretty damn good job operating in a system that isn't perfect, but it doesn't have to be. The real system isn't perfect, and the perfect system simply doesn't exist. Like I said before, this community has managed to produce a judiciary that doesn't only represent it's real world counterpart. It even manages to generate the same effects, that while being an incredibly limited and compacted version. A version that's ever developing, and a version that values real life legal experience without cutting out people that may not have that. That's not nothing, and creates so much more roleplay around it than I think most even expected.  

49 minutes ago, Midsummer Night's Dream said:

San Andreas v. Mowei Kulani:  the indictment is defective because it does not allege premeditation for the first-degree murder charge (penal code provides that premeditation must be an element of first-degree murder).  The indictment must allege facts tending to show premeditation in order to put the accused on notice — a requirement of the Sixth Amendment’s notice of accusation clause.  The indictment does not contain such a theory.  The accused has not been put on notice as to that charge; and so if it went to trial, they’re going to trial without being able to prepare and respond to the prosecution’s premeditation theory — in other words they would have been sent to trial blind.  If it doesn’t go to trial and there’s a guilty plea, instead, on the defective indictment, the accused will have been punished for supposedly premeditating a murder without ever knowing when — because San Andreas did not put that in their allegation — or how premeditation was made out.

It's really messed up to comment like this on an on-going case for all parties involved, it's an in-character issue and this just incites metagame. Let the defense, procecution and judge figure these things out. I respect that you have a specialization in this field, and it's great that you're able to exercise that here. But things like this just rub off wrong, it comes across like you just want to know everything better. If you truly have a vision and really want to improve training why don't you step up to those responsible. Offer your experience and knowledge for the betterment of the existing system. The operators of the judiciary are by far the most approachable I've ever seen across communities, but it all comes down on how you initiate your own approach. I'm absolutely sure they'd more than welcome your points for improvement. 

Furthermore, don't take this as a personal attack. You have expressed a lot of stances but you don't come across as a person who really looks beyond the surface and dives into the depths of what certain changes may do. It's a system, I'd even go as far as to call it a climate. And like everything else, changes within that system don't just effect a single "issue" but the entire operation. The operators of the judiciary have a very clear understanding of this, and am confident in their assessments because they're able to look at issues not as they come, but as they are. And they're doing this with volunteers, people who want to do this because they like doing it. Guided by people who do their best to provide the best judiciary system for the entire community, for all types of players whether they are police officers out on the street, drug dealers in the sticks or corporate managers. 

15 minutes ago, TNG said:

@Midsummer Night's Dream - If anything, you're making baseless accusations and you've concluded that public defenders operate in a trance-like fashion and that they're asking everyone to plead guilty, without providing legitimate grounds for such claim, nor proposing any solutions for what you believe is so monotonous. I haven't made this personal in the most significant stance, but there is no need to strawman out of all of the baseless accusations you have made. It is extremely disrespectful to every public defender who has volunteered to engage in the legal system, to provide free counseling for those players who simply cannot afford the expense of a trial. So again, I would resort to my previous point, people have been appointed to ensure this system works flawlessly, and if you have an issue with something specific, you can feel free to address it with the right party. But at this point, it's just a multitude of non-objective posts making the entire system seem so flawed, unjust and bad - and it's very disrespectful at the very least.

Anecdotal, but when I had to work with a public defender they did everything I expected from a public defender and with very satisfactory roleplay and an incredibly generous bargain. Sure the system has flaws, but they're the same challenges we face in the real world, and as such I don't feel it's an issue leadership necessarily has to be preoccupied with from an out-of-character standpoint. This is something for in-character advocates to figure out, and for attorneys to work with, and for the populace to deal with.

4 minutes ago, Midsummer Night's Dream said:

@TNG What’s the controversy over saying that the criminal docket is becoming monotonous, anyway?

Is guilty plea after guilty plea, day in and day out, not repetitive?  And haven’t defendants been doing that lately? 

Does that not mirror real world statistics? Is that a bad thing?

Edited by eTaylor
typo*
  • Upvote 1
1 minute ago, eTaylor said:

The operators of the judiciary are by far the most approachable I've ever seen across communities, but it all comes down on how you initiate your own approach. I'm absolutely sure they'd more than welcome your points for improvement. 

It’s already been tried and that person didn’t follow up. 

I’m not too sure about approachable either, especially from my own experience. 

Just now, Midsummer Night's Dream said:

It’s already been tried and that person didn’t follow up. 

I’m not too sure about approachable either, especially from my own experience. 

Being approachable doesn't mean that everything you bring forth is immediately implemented or upheld like the greatest idea since the theory of special relativity. Most of the leadership is in discord, and I've never had an instance where they weren't courteous or didn't respond - even with issues they aren't even directly responsible for.

50 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

and as such I don't feel it's an issue leadership necessarily has to be preoccupied with from an out-of-character standpoint. This is something for in-character advocates to figure out, and for attorneys to work with, and for the populace to deal with.

Sorry, I forgot to reply to this.

I agree that flaws should be addressed mostly in-character by advocates and judges, but that isn’t what’s been happening.  I would prefer not to get into it too much because it’s the subject of a report; but it might help one see, if they were to look around or even discuss issues with relevant decision-makers, that those decision-makers have too much regard for things on an out-of-character level  (sometimes, things that aren’t necessarily applicable)

41 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

Being approachable doesn't mean that everything you bring forth is immediately implemented or upheld like the greatest idea since the theory of special relativity. Most of the leadership is in discord, and I've never had an instance where they weren't courteous or didn't respond - even with issues they aren't even directly responsible for.

I’ve tried and not only was my experience different, but there was not a follow up.  It’s as plain as that.  

It's really messed up to comment like this on an on-going case for all parties involved, it's an in-character issue and this just incites metagame. Let the defense, procecution and judge figure these things out.

I admit it was a lapse of judgment on my part to use an on-going case to respond to Copacetic’s counter narrative.  I picked out the first one I looked into without intending to give anyone information that would be useful IC. 

I think I’ll leave it there. The discussion got tiresome when it was taken personal by another poster earlier.

Edited by Midsummer Night's Dream
40 minutes ago, TNG said:

you've concluded that public defenders operate in a trance-like fashion and that they're asking everyone to plead guilty

Even if they do, I find that highly realistic RP for a public defender.