Jail sentences and their given times.

Dustyboi

Now this is just from my personal opinion and personal experience. I won't use any names for the people I'll be mentioning, and I won't be adding my own charges/given time to show that I'm not just going off of a bias.

So the jail sentencing is kind of a hassle. Like the saying goes, don't do the crime if you can't do the time. While I agree with this saying, the times some are given is kind of overkill. For example, I've spoken to several people both ooc (when things are slow in the pod) and ic when I got the chance; and charges that I would have expected higher times on are getting lower times than the more menial crimes. One person I spoke to only did two crimes, those being wreckless driving and evasion; they received a few days, four or five if I recall. On the other hand, a murderer received twelve hours for their time. 

While I understand that they may have left out some details regarding their crimes and whatnot; one person I spoke to had 20 days for their sentencing. I completely understand that this is the use/meaning of having the prison in the first place. To hopefully change a character's ways through the means of having that threat of sitting in county again, or developing a character on the inside in a different light. While this is a good reasoning, I feel that some of the times tend to be a bit overkill, and will make some players a lot more bitter toward those players that play as law enforcement, even if they aren't to blame for the sentencing time and whatnot. Because of this, I have a feeling that it will raise the rate of shootouts rather than those coming peacefully when being arrested; as they'll want to kill the police chasing them instead of having to sit in county.

• Upvote 1

Murders are never given shorter sentences than those who evade. It just doesn't happen. The sentence for 1st Degree Murder is 20 days. The Sentence for Evading is 1 day. That being said, the sentences are under review and I am working very closely with FM to ensure they are both fair and wanted by the vast majority of the community. 

16 minutes ago, Copacetic said:

Murders are never given shorter sentences than those who evade. It just doesn't happen. The sentence for 1st Degree Murder is 20 days. The Sentence for Evading is 1 day. That being said, the sentences are under review and I am working very closely with FM to ensure they are both fair and wanted by the vast majority of the community. 

This.

Also, I don't really agree with the fact that the times are overkill, they're right at the sweet spot. Your time goes down even when you're offline, as a plus, and most servers don't even have this type of system in place.. The way it currently is, with the sentences the goal is, what I'm assuming, to make your char think twice about committing felonies that'll reward you with more than 5 days in prison. It's better than constant pursuits that occur on no real IC basis. It's all about instilling that fear that if you commit a crime, you'll do the time. 

With your second point, about this resulting in more shootouts, I just don't think that'll come to fruition simply because rules are in place to prevent that. If people get into shootouts with police to avoid jail time, it's usually very obvious that that's the case. 

I like how cops can lock you up for 72 hours just for "investigation" that is without even being certain a crime is committed yet.

In my case i was detained 72 hours on a investigation.... for TRESPASSING

Or that if you plea no guilty to a non violent charge you still get to spend 99999 days in prison to wait for a judge.

Also for... trespassing

Cops are completely out of control and the management actually designs it that way.

Cops gleefully enjoy the authority they are given over other players just by their mere interaction

Edited by Rey
  • Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, Rey said:

I like how cops can lock you up for 72 hours just for "investigation" that is without even being certain a crime is committed yet.

In my case i was detained 72 hours on a investigation.... for TRESPASSING

Or that if you plea no guilty to a non violent charge you still get to spend 99999 days in prison to wait for a judge.

Also for... trespassing

Cops are completely out of control and the management actually designs it that way.

Not sure how you're blaming the cops for being out of control, when the person who pleas for those punishments did so on their own authority with full knowledge. They could always plead No Contest, and still have rights to appeal for 30 days with no extra time. 

4 minutes ago, Brett said:

Not sure how you're blaming the cops for being out of control, when the person who pleas for those punishments did so on their own authority with full knowledge. They could always plead No Contest, and still have rights to appeal for 30 days with no extra time

Under coercion of a 9999 days prison sentence in wait for a judge, that will take upto 24H at minimum.

You either go to jail

•  not guilty
  •  guilty
  • or no contest.

Either way you are going to jail.

I wouldnt want this system changed either if you could  lock people up and waste days of their life.

Actually i would because i dont consider myself a playing to win or playing to grief

Edited by Rey
  • Upvote 1
  • Applaud 1
28 minutes ago, Rey said:

Under coercion of a 9999 days prison sentence in wait for a judge, that will take upto 24H at minimum.

You either go to jail

•  not guilty
  •  guilty
  • or no contest.

Either way you are going to jail.

I wouldnt want this system changed either if you could  lock people up and waste days of their life.

Actually i would because i dont consider myself a playing to win or playing to grief

Yes? That's how it works. If you get arrested you can choose your plea. I don't see here what's the problem.

Edited by Max3

A cop can be convinced of a crime and there is no way you are going to defend your character in a reasonable amount of time..

You are just going to jail, and maybe after they wasted a week of your gametime you might have a chance in court.

Its a play to win, The whole "How do you plead" or "Anything you say will be used against you" its just  window dressing there is nothing underneath besides the whims of a player.

Give people 3 options but they all lead to the same place. Try doing that in some actual RP and see how long it takes before you get reported for Power Gaming

Edited by Rey
  • Upvote 1
Just now, Rey said:

A cop can be convinced of a crime and there is no way you are going to defend your character in a reasonable amount of time..

? I've seen people post bond in 24 hours or less. That's realistic.

Just now, Rey said:

You are just going to jail, and maybe after they wasted a week of your gametime you might have a chance in court.

Sounds a lot like goin to jail irl.

Just now, Rey said:

Its a play to win, The whole "How do you plead" or "Anything you say will be used against you" its just  window dressing there is nothing underneath besides the whims of a player.

Yea, let's just stop mirandization as a whole. Amendments? What are those?

1 minute ago, Rey said:

Give people 3 options but they all lead to the same place. Try doing that in some actual RP and see how long it takes before you get reported for Power Gaming

Guilty: You do the time as you did the crime.
Not guilty: You get held until the end of your court case, like irl, unless you post bail.

No contest: You serve the time without saying you did the crime. You CAN appeal it the same way you can appeal in not guilty or just move on like you could in guilty.

My take away? The system, while it has its flaws, is in place to promote development and give a realistic basis for people to decide how they plea instead of force you into a guilty plea.  

• Upvote 1

Guilty: You do the time as you did the crime.
Not guilty: You get held until the end of your court case, like irl, unless you post bail. 

No contest: You serve the time without saying you did the crime. You CAN appeal it the same way you can appeal in not guilty or just move on like you could in guilty.

So the roleplay only starts after the cop got his due and served you some nice jailtime. Its starting to become clear.

Edited by Rey