What is proper rich/wealthy roleplay?

Busch

15 hours ago, Henning said:

Complete and utter bullshit.

I had the luxury of growing up around people of significant wealth. I have a relative who is a VP at a fortune 500 company working in trucking and logistics sector another was the President of North America for one of the largest hotel chains in the world. 

The ONLY characters who have come anywhere close to RPing wealth correctly are the Busch brothers.

Funny that you two get denied a house in Rockford hills but there are people who have those properties IG, simply based on their relationship with Property Management. I'm sick and tired of people using the same old "Nobody will RP it correctly" excuse when (And I know this is pretty rude) a majority of you have no IDEA what people with actual wealth acts like, especially businessmen.

I agree with you 100 percent, there are some people that don't even deserve to have hundreds / millions of in game money because they simply could not obtain it IRL realistically speaking and I have lots of examples, I have personally found a way around each IC law that is meant to take money away  from you and that's a major flaw. On the other hand there are individuals that can't think more than a 17 years old teenager yet they drive Pariahs and have fancy 2 story houses. Most people use flipping  cars as a method to earn money because if you're the kind of lucky but not so wise person you can easily get your hands on some green, then you don't have to pay taxes nor wait months to find an owner willing to buy your specific car and I find it exaggerated that you can buy a car today and sell it the next day in game.

As my last idea I am not happy that players cannot purchase mansions yet even though there are hundreds of unscripted ones, collecting dust and only whoever is in good terms with PM get their hands on some.

1 hour ago, eTaylor said:

Wouldn't it just be easier to roleplay coming from a wealthy family? You don't need ridiculous income, and with the right background have a likely excuse. Besides, Los Santos is arguably the most ideal cesspit for characters like that and fully facilitates the vanity of it all. Roleplaying a spoiled rich brat over some executive CEO probably gives you more expressive freedom anyway. 

You still need the money to do so, kinda. Initial welfare checks only get you like 200K in 40 hours. A spoiled rich brat is more likely to live in a fancy big apartment and drive a flashy car.

Edited by Engelbert
Just now, eTaylor said:

Well, what do you need to portray a rich character? 

Honestly if you are aiming for a rich brat portrayal, the usual way is a flashy guy, cause they are more likely to parade in designer clothing, visit only the expensive clubs and if possible drive a sportscar or a Suv...upgraded too, cause cabrios are more the woman thing. Plus an apartment, cause not many young people are going for actual houses. You can rp living with parents in a a house too, but unless there's someone willing to rp it and provide a house and car or something, you need to buy them on your own. Which means you need a high income, least in the beginning.

3 minutes ago, Engelbert said:

Honestly if you are aiming for a rich brat portrayal, the usual way is a flashy guy, cause they are more likely to parade in designer clothing, visit only the expensive clubs and if possible drive a sportscar or a Suv...upgraded too, cause cabrios are more the woman thing. Plus an apartment, cause not many young people are going for actual houses. You can rp living with parents in a a house too, but unless there's someone willing to rp it and provide a house and car or something, you need to buy them on your own. Which means you need a high income, least in the beginning.

Well there's the part where you're stuck between the fact that you probably don't just want to give everything to everyone, and having people work for stuff. Either way, if you just get a Novak. All you'd need is $28k and just not spend the $200k bonus, + the $100 for the clothes.

5 hours ago, Engelbert said:

Answer is no, cause realistically your income shouldn't allow it. So the correct answer to roleplay wealth and how to do so, is to take a look at economy first and surround yourself with people that roleplay their characters according to their concepts. Because in the end, a corporation is only as good as it's employees.

People who say this miss the obvious truth: How many people would RP garbage truck/truck/taxi drivers/gas station workers if they were not getting paid anything? It's not like trucking is this high adrenaline experience that makes it worth RPing it by itself. People do it for the money.

And if they're not allowed to use that money because they have to RP being poor they won't do those jobs at all. That's the issue with making this very clear discrepance between the money you get paid and the money the server says you'd actually have.

33 minutes ago, pateuvasiliu said:

People who say this miss the obvious truth: How many people would RP garbage truck/truck/taxi drivers/gas station workers if they were not getting paid anything? It's not like trucking is this high adrenaline experience that makes it worth RPing it by itself. People do it for the money.

And if they're not allowed to use that money because they have to RP being poor they won't do those jobs at all. That's the issue with making this very clear discrepance between the money you get paid and the money the server says you'd actually have.

Well yes and no and it has to do with the economy you know, where people can simply save up for more expensive cars from the income they get from scripted jobs. Which is where your concept comes in play if you in for realistic portrayal, a gas station clerk can hardly save up for a new Rebla GTS, but he maybe could buy a used one from a dealership, cause there they go for less usually. Now here's where the economy comes to play because an hourly wage in a shop is 4K, do this for few hours every day and you can buy two or three Reblas in few months. Yeah unrealistic, but highly possible. Even though Rebla GTS, that I used for example is based BMW X5 which is like higher middle class car, not really a millionare one. But grind can used to purchase anything on the server, which is why Admins require you to roleplay every single action in scripted jobs and jobs themselves are limited to few hours per day. Cause you can have millions on your account from long term roleplaying a shopclerk, but if you roleplay a shopclerk, you don't have them infact. You CK your character and rename them, to start playing a millionaire and voila, it makes sense now. And that's exactly how millionaires who don't rp amassing their wealth are born.

@eTaylor 

Novak costs 228K so you still need them, but there are cars which are based off luxurious ones and still are cheaper than their real life counterparts. Small public secret, people living in Mirror Park where most expensive housing is located currently, drive relatively cheap cars, which kinda cost more in real life. So it call comes down to portrayal at the end. A small detail added to the game would help infact, background check, a poor character selection would have modified welfare checks, however a wealthy character backround could have the amount of current welfare checks paid all at once upon selecting, this however would require heavy surveiilance from Admins, which I am sure they don't wanna bother with.

Edited by Engelbert
36 minutes ago, pateuvasiliu said:

Ultimately, people should be picking a job that's relevant to their character. If the only intention is to grind it out for the cash, buy everything you want and then bail - then you're not roleplaying. Plain and simple. So yes, grinding out fishing, trucking, garbage collecting or whatever low-tier script job is available and then knocking around in a Cheetah "because I have made the cash for it" when it doesn't make any sense for your character to do so is inherently not endorsed.

If you want to roleplay being wealthy you should at least concoct a story that makes sense, not just "I fished for 200 hours, my character can afford this fancy car now" - when realistically they wouldn't be able to.

• Upvote 3
17 minutes ago, Anselmi said:

Ultimately, people should be picking a job that's relevant to their character. If the only intention is to grind it out for the cash, buy everything you want and then bail - then you're not roleplaying. Plain and simple. So yes, grinding out fishing, trucking, garbage collecting or whatever low-tier script job is available and then knocking around in a Cheetah "because I have made the cash for it" when it doesn't make any sense for your character to do so is inherently not endorsed.

If you want to roleplay being wealthy you should at least concoct a story that makes sense, not just "I fished for 200 hours, my character can afford this fancy car now" - when realistically they wouldn't be able to.

Haven't the Busch brothers done that? They've run a company for almost a year, a company with ten employees, which in a server that averages 150-250 players is actually quite big. They've got accountants, managers, secretaries and of course they have truck drivers. There's also no abuse of the mechanic on their end, the company its self makes very little per delivery so what these guys are doing is providing a service to the community. They've built an actual company that you can work for that isn't a nightclub conglomerate or garage. 

There seems to be this unfounded fear in the community that if these properties open up, somehow RP quality would decline. But I raise this question, By forcing everyone to live in the middle class or lower parts of the map, regardless of their wealth how are we improving RP quality in those areas? There are people who own three houses in mirror park and have 4-5 cars, wouldn't we rather have those players buy one, INCREDIBLE HIGH priced house in the hills? Giving the server low, middle and upper class communities. Providing the opportunity for businesses and RP built around that community?

I wouldn't give a fuck if I saw the GTA version of a Ferrari parked outside a mansion in Rockford but outside a middle class home in mirror park? Come on...  

• Upvote 5