What is proper rich/wealthy roleplay?

Busch

52 minutes ago, Azria said:

That in itself is backwards realistically. People act as if Busch gain so much from that. Do the research and figures. Busch as a company take 10 to 20 percent. The individual takes 80 to 90 percent. Hmmm, interesting yes? Who benefits? Plus factor in the costs of maintaining such a large company with a large fleet. The whole server is a grind fest whether you are out there selling drugs, guns, sex, or being smart in business. It's all the same.

Uh..... They both benefit... But Busch does nothing for that money outside of buy a truck with profits earned from the labor of others...….

If one driver makes a single delivery for 400, and Busch takes 10 percent, that's 40 dollars... Now lets say that driver does 10 deliveries (A short grind)… That's 400 in Busch's pocket...

Now multiply that by say...  employees a day (I am sure they have much more) - But we will start with low numbers for sakes of conversation...

Thats 4000 a day.... For what? 

You mentioned Maintenance... Do they pay gas? What's that cost? Pennies on the dollar?

Do they pay for real maintenance? Do they have all of their fleet serviced by mechanics itching for an RP opportunity? Paying them a solid rate? Hmm.. I am going to take make the assumption they don't....

Now lets say they have 20 drivers, doing 10 runs a day.... That's 8 Grand..... 

Then again.. I am curious on the real figures? As this is all merely speculation on my part from my short lived venture into the trucking industry via the union.

The real number is 61.... So for sakes of conversation, lets say each person did 7-8 runs a day (Because I don't know trucking, I'll lowball)… That's 17,000 per day for each load at 400 a load -- Give or take on either side. Or, 119,000 per week...

We have people out here straight grinding things that do not involve the script to even make 50K a week...… Yet someone has a lot full of trucks can make 119 a week and justify that business by having a few meetings and yard fights.... Yeah... No thank you... 

Edited by Alexandra_Forge
2 minutes ago, Alexandra_Forge said:

Uh..... They both benefit... But Busch does nothing for that money outside of buy a truck with profits earned from the labor of others...….

If one driver makes a single delivery for 400, and Busch takes 10 percent, that's 40 dollars... Now lets say that driver does 10 deliveries (A short grind)… That's 400 in Busch's pocket...

Now multiply that by say...  employees a day (I am sure they have much more) - But we will start with low numbers for sakes of conversation...

Thats 4000 a day.... For what? 

You mentioned Maintenance... Do they pay gas? What's that cost? Pennies on the dollar?

Do they pay for real maintenance? Do they have all of their fleet serviced by mechanics itching for an RP opportunity? Paying them a solid rate? Hmm.. I am going to take make the assumption they don't....

Now lets say they have 20 drivers, doing 10 runs a day.... That's 8 Grand..... 

Then again.. I am curious on the real figures? As this is all merely speculation on my part from my short lived venture into the trucking industry via the union.

Gas is paid by the company. Trucks are serviced through RP - not just turning up, pressing service, and running away.

There's also the costs of insurance for all of the vehicles, costs for employees who aren't truckers, etc. It's still a lot of money running through but it's a large business. If it was just so easy to be getting rich from owning a trucking company then you'd see a lot more than there are (there are a few, don't get me wrong, but there would be more if it was that easy).

I know we're slightly getting off of the main topic here and talking more about the trucking side of the server so I'll stop after this but I just wanted to get this point across. 

OP, who told you your roleplay was not realistic, and why?  Did someone tell you that you couldn't have a property because your rp was not realistic in that person's opinion?  Did that person criticize your rp on the grounds that you own too many vehicles?  What's the situation?

2 minutes ago, Azria said:

Perhaps you should venture in more than just your short lived experience. Your assumptions are just that, assumptions. You are more than welcome to come rp sometime. ?

I would love to.. But I am too busy studying law, meeting with clients, and writing essays in a video game 4-6 hours a day for 80K a week as a roleplayed attorney... So my time is a bit lacking... I'll take a rain check though.. Seems I am working far too hard......

Edited by Alexandra_Forge

Where is my Rockford Hills house?  I'm friends with ALL of PM and I don't have one yet ?

On a serious note: seems like this thread got derailed a bit into bickering and so I'm going to give it the single opportunity to keep it on track.  The discussion at hand is what sort of things qualify as realistic RP for someone portraying a wealthy character.  Only warning and then it's locked forever. 

If you want to make it a proper discussion, don't make it about specific people (and by this I mean yourselves.) There are a lot of people who don't know who you are or how you RP and so you're going to obviously be met with immediate criticism.  Instead, leave the opportunity for there to be a legitimate discussion. 

Many, if not all, of the critics have probably been looking in from the outside.  Have any of them actually interacted with you consistently?  
Apart from that, their understanding of the tastes, habits — social or spending habits —  and fears or preoccupations of the wealthy are probably contorted, incomplete, or both. 

Those critics also have to acknowledge that there are limitations to consumption. It doesn’t require reading Thorstein Veblen’s The Theory of the Leisure Class (1899) or Elizabeth Currid-Halkett’s The Sum of Small Things: A Theory of the Aspirational Class (2017) to understand that, for our purposes, there are limitations on what and how a well-off person can spend their money.  Not every person who is well-off is materialistic (as Currid-Halkett suggests). Discrete spending is more common now than ever before. 

Keep doing you, Lars. I don’t think there’s cause for alarm. 

Edited by Midsummer Night's Dream
  • Upvote 1