Increase max message length

Shokkoth

Short description: Increase the character limit when sending a message. I would suggest doubling it.

Detailed description:  As above

Commands to add: N/A

Items to add: N/A

How would your suggestion improve the server? Its a bit frustrating when you want to send a detailed, descriptive /me and you have to make it into two or three separate messages. It makes it very messy and hard to read for the person you're RPing with, especially if there are other people around. I dont know if there is a reason for the 250 character limit, but for me, its really annoying when it comes to sending lengthy messages.

Additional information: N/A

Edited by Shokkoth
  • Upvote 3

Actually no- making it double or even higher than 250 will consume the whole text-size area, completely. (250 is quite enough), me as a mechanic has not faced any problems regarding that limit. If you start to speak "Hi, how are you?" shifts his gaze to X "You are?" then ofcourse it will consume the entire text-limit. Let /me express what /me should not text lines or further stuff. /me is there to express your feelings, expressions, actions.

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, WolfieLULZ said:

Actually no- making it double or even higher than 250 will consume the whole text-size area, completely. (250 is quite enough), me as a mechanic has not faced any problems regarding that limit. If you start to speak "Hi, how are you?" shifts his gaze to X "You are?" then ofcourse it will consume the entire text-limit. Let /me express what /me should not text lines or further stuff. /me is there to express your feelings, expressions, actions.

Personally, i do not 'talk' when using a /me. Meaning, i wouldnt do /me  "Hi, how are you?" shifts his gaze to X "You are?

But i do feel like if someone wants to send a lengthy /me or a /do for any reason, they shouldnt be limited by the 250 characters. Especially if you're trying to be very descriptive in your RP.

Just now, Shokkoth said:

Personally, i do not 'talk' when using a /me. Meaning, i wouldnt do /me  "Hi, how are you?" shifts his gaze to X "You are?

But i do feel like if someone wants to send a lengthy /me or a /do for any reason, they shouldnt be limited by the 250 characters. Especially if you're trying to be very descriptive in your RP.

I understand but what's the point in extending your single action in one single /me (If the limit should even be increased it should be to 300 max) not higher cause then when you type your lengthy /me's will cause a complete flood in the text-page making it a problem for other people to RP and the radius of a /me isn't small either, so don't expect a safer environment without your chat getting completely flooded.

250 characters is three lines give or take a few words. People whose roleplay consistently hits 250 characters are probably just typing for the sake of it. And, to be honest, I skim over most of it anyway if it's 250 characters.

Edited by Westen
8 minutes ago, Bombie said:

It's a roleplay server, what's wrong with going over 250? Anyway, I might be wrong, but the 250 limit is enforced by the game itself? I heard something along those lines a loooong time ago, so I might very much be wrong. If possible, I'd love an increase.

Because there comes a point where RP is unnecessarily stalled while people type out 500 characters for an action or two.

4 hours ago, Westen said:

250 characters is three lines give or take a few words. People whose roleplay consistently hits 250 characters are probably just typing for the sake of it. And, to be honest, I skim over most of it anyway if it's 250 characters.

completely agree with you. Also, why even do such a long /me's? They shouldn't be complex and over-filled with too eloquent words. the command is used to describe an action, no need to be overly-detailed in it nor try to confuse people.  250 character limit is plenty and more than enough.

4 hours ago, Bombie said:

It's a roleplay server, what's wrong with going over 250? Anyway, I might be wrong, but the 250 limit is enforced by the game itself? I heard something along those lines a loooong time ago, so I might very much be wrong. If possible, I'd love an increase.

I dont see the point in using 350 characters to take a sneeze, or to scratch your eye, it's over the top and it doesn't need to be hamfisted with so much useless information. 

Your /me's should go straight to the point instead of beating around the bush to say something that is unequivocally the same. 

Saying "/me stretches his right arm, proceeding to curl his palm around the water bottle and then twists the cap off, raising the bottle up to his lips before taking a sip." is pretty much the same as saying "takes the water bottle and sips from it.".

The limit is just fine. Increasing the character limit would unnecessarily generate more spam than intended. If we were ever to change it, I'd suggest to make it shorter, not bigger.