Increase max message length

Shokkoth

Okay, but how is someone putting detail in their roleplay bad? I see your points if someone out there tries to prolong an emote with useless and repetitive detail, but that's only some players. Even then, assuming it is either increased or decreased, players will still do /me and follow it by a /do,  reach one character limit after another to convey what their character does or says. 

• Upvote 1
  • Developer
45 minutes ago, Shaderz said:

Your /me's should go straight to the point instead of beating around the bush to say something that is unequivocally the same. 

Saying "/me stretches his right arm, proceeding to curl his palm around the water bottle and then twists the cap off, raising the bottle up to his lips before taking a sip." is pretty much the same as saying "takes the water bottle and sips from it.".

The limit is just fine. Increasing the character limit would unnecessarily generate more spam than intended. If we were ever to change it, I'd suggest to make it shorter, not bigger. 

This is actually a good roleplay line (the long one) instead of no effort medium roleplay.

I always prefer to be detailed and roleplay with detailed people.

• Upvote 2
Just now, St3fan[NL] said:

This is actually a good roleplay line (the long one) instead of no effort medium roleplay.

To each their own and I respect that. I personally believe that unless it makes a significant difference in the roleplay scenario itself, there's no need to type ridiculously long /me's to say something that can be said in a few words. Simplicity is key as long as the other party understands exactly what you're trying to do.

55 minutes ago, Bombie said:

Okay, but how is someone putting detail in their roleplay bad? I see your points if someone out there tries to prolong an emote with useless and repetitive detail, but that's only some players. Even then, assuming it is either increased or decreased, players will still do /me and follow it by a /do,  reach one character limit after another to convey what their character does or says. 

If you can give me one example of a 500 character sentence that is a) readable, b) accurate and c) doesn't mean everyone is sat there for five minutes waiting for them to type it then by all means, 

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, St3fan[NL] said:

The difference between medium and heavy roleplay is rarely the length of a /me. Detail is good in some cases, useless in most.

I can write a 1200 character /me describing my character taking a breath, but it's unnecessary. I myself am guilty of unnecessary detail in some cases, but the current system doesn't make it any harder.

I see no need for this, it's a no from me.

• Upvote 1
52 minutes ago, Westen said:

If you can give me one example of a 500 character sentence that is a) readable, b) accurate and c) doesn't mean everyone is sat there for five minutes waiting for them to type it then by all means, 

I would give you an example, but judging by your responses you would be too bothered to read it. There is zero harm in increasing the limit, more harm in reducing it. 

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Bombie said:

I would give you an example, but judging by your responses you would be too bothered to read it. There is zero harm in increasing the limit, more harm in reducing it. 

There is harm in increasing it, an already filled chatbox at a club will be 10 times worse, since people are obnoxious and do 700 character /mes in clubs and bars, without utilizing /melow. I would prefer not enabling these sorts of people to continue this behaviour, it can get very frustrating.

• Upvote 1
  • Applaud 1