Difference between light, medium, high roleplay

Sons

Ah - the good ol terminology from SAMP..

Light RP = NGG Type of server, you don't really show your RP, you get away with certain things like PG, MG, DM, VDM, things like that. Rules are a lot more 'lighter' per say. You still have to show some RP - maybe like taking out a heavy weapon like an M4 or something in the sorts. But, were able to get away with it if you did not..

Medium RP = You have strict rules and regulations, like we do on GTA W - but you enforce them lightly per say. People still need to show there RP, but maybe not as detailed as some of the players on here. 

Heavy RP = Rules that are placed on are strictly enforced, all RP must be shown, and in general, a lot more 'realistic to life' then a MRP/LRP server.. Just my thoughts in basic detail instead of having to go full out.

I think that all 3 are very broad terms, and can vary heavily depending on what server, or even where inside of a server you RP. I will post my interpretations of them in the GTA 5 scene of things, along with what I believe to be side-effects 

Light RP - Normally but not exclusively voice RP, where it is more so focused on speech and animations and /me's /do's and such things are kept to a minimum. These kinds of servers are very common on platforms such as FiveM and can be a nice way to relax and just fuck about for a bit. The issue with these servers is that you normally get a lot of DM'ing Metagaming, as mentioned in the post above mine as well.

Medium RP - Stricter rules, /me's and /do's are actually used here. Rulebreakings and such rarely result in harsh-punishments though, more often than not it just ends in an admin-jail or a slap on the wrist. RP is still present but not to the extent of high/heavy standard RP servers.  Medium RP servers often have the issue that the quality of RP on one server is so drastically different depending on who or where you are RPing. 

Heavy RP - Normally the best servers to go for if you have some experience or just general common sense. Rules are heavily enforced, and admins are usually very hands-on. More often than not, the goal of heavy RP servers is to create a society within the server that could actually exist IRL. Keep in mind, that detailed RP does not make it heavy RP, it doesn't matter if you have a 2000 character /me or a 20 character /me, this seems to be a common misunderstanding, that detailed RP makes it good. Knowing a lot of words does not make your RP any better, maybe more detailed, but not better. Heavy RP also has the risk of creating "elitist" within their communities, people who believe that their RP is flawless and could not possibly get any better, and for this reason, they look down and condescend people who they deem of "worse quality".  

• Upvote 1
22 hours ago, Lmao said:

I think that all 3 are very broad terms, and can vary heavily depending on what server, or even where inside of a server you RP. I will post my interpretations of them in the GTA 5 scene of things, along with what I believe to be side-effects 

Light RP - Normally but not exclusively voice RP, where it is more so focused on speech and animations and /me's /do's and such things are kept to a minimum. These kinds of servers are very common on platforms such as FiveM and can be a nice way to relax and just fuck about for a bit. The issue with these servers is that you normally get a lot of DM'ing Metagaming, as mentioned in the post above mine as well.

Medium RP - Stricter rules, /me's and /do's are actually used here. Rulebreakings and such rarely result in harsh-punishments though, more often than not it just ends in an admin-jail or a slap on the wrist. RP is still present but not to the extent of high/heavy standard RP servers.  Medium RP servers often have the issue that the quality of RP on one server is so drastically different depending on who or where you are RPing. 

Heavy RP - Normally the best servers to go for if you have some experience or just general common sense. Rules are heavily enforced, and admins are usually very hands-on. More often than not, the goal of heavy RP servers is to create a society within the server that could actually exist IRL. Keep in mind, that detailed RP does not make it heavy RP, it doesn't matter if you have a 2000 character /me or a 20 character /me, this seems to be a common misunderstanding, that detailed RP makes it good. Knowing a lot of words does not make your RP any better, maybe more detailed, but not better. Heavy RP also has the risk of creating "elitist" within their communities, people who believe that their RP is flawless and could not possibly get any better, and for this reason, they look down and condescend people who they deem of "worse quality".  

1. Okay, maybe light rp on gta v is known from voice, but not in samp and rather about text-based roleplay; what you can say about it?
  2. Why do you think that light rp it's shit like horizon or something? For me, it's rather gang wars with rp elements
  3. What means stricter rules?
  4. On medium RP can not be strict punishments?
  5. What mean heavy/high standarts?
  6.  What you mean by; /Medium RP servers often have the issue that the quality of RP on one server is so drastically different depending on who or where you are RPing./? Who are better quality player and where?
  7. On servers lower than heavy RP, you can't very much enforce the rules?
  8. So you mean that heavy rp it's realistic? How it looks? Really 1;1 realism? Can not be....?
  9. You said, that detailed RP or knowing a lot of words doesn't make quality roleplay? So what does qualitative roleplay look like? 
5 minutes ago, Sons said:

You said, that detailed RP or knowing a lot of words doesn't make quality roleplay? So what does qualitative roleplay look like? 

this one I can answer easily - the quality of roleplay done by a player is defined by their capability of making the character realistic. For example, being unrealistic is something like having a lacking backstory with lack of explanation behind having so much assets at a young age - 18-28. Creating a character to buy a fancy car and be a rich young person is easy sure, but it's not really considered to be quality role-play without first showing a decent effort put into it's backstory or in it's build up. Another example is 'I became rich by mining.' sure, it pays but it's hardly qualitative or realistic.
A realistic and qualitative way of RP'ing would include your characters backstory, the characters flaws like good and bad traits which should be developed either through actual RP or through a decent backstory that has valid reasoning for it.. for GTA:World a big thing would be how the character has come by so many assets if that's the case and so on. Quality roleplay = realistic thinking, common sense, rule abiding and sadly but honestly true, general understanding and capability to type in the servers chosen language. Short /me's can often be just as good as long /me's. They don't make any such difference. Detail looks great but I could just as well make an RP using a toilet out of a /me followed by 4 /do extensions look worse than a few short /me's. It's generally a preference really. I personally mix and match depending on the events going on in my characters presence. It's a really great question tbh, hope my answer was good for you!

• Upvote 2

?
7 minutes ago, Sons said:

1. Okay, maybe light rp on gta v is known from voice, but not in samp and rather about text-based roleplay; what you can say about it?
  2. Why do you think that light rp it's shit like horizon or something? For me, it's rather gang wars with rp elements
  3. What means stricter rules?
  4.  On medium RP can not be strict punishments?
  5. What mean heavy/high standarts?
  6.  What you mean by; /Medium RP servers often have the issue that the quality of RP on one server is so drastically different depending on who or where you are RPing./? Who are better quality player and where?
  7. On servers lower than heavy RP, you can't very much enforce the rules?
  8. So you mean that heavy rp it's realistic? How it looks? Really 1;1 realism? Can not be....?
  9. You said, that detailed RP or knowing a lot of words doesn't make quality roleplay? So what does qualitative roleplay look like? 

Oh, lots of questions to answer, I will do my best to answer them all!

1 & 2: Text-based Light-RP servers are never something I've really delved into, so I will have to take your word for that one. I can't really answer the question further than that.

3: Stricter rules, well it depends on what rules, but as an example, more cracking down on people ass-pulling AKs, can be one example of it. Metagaming having a clearer and a severer consequence, in certain RP servers using discord voice-chats to coordinate and attacks and so on is allowed, but here, we have a stricter rule policy against such things.

4. Some Medium RP servers, I've seen lose punishments on Powergaming, as an example - *John Doe throws Jane Doe into the trunk of his car and shuts it. On some Medium RP servers even as this is a great example of power gaming on John's part, and even if he continues doing this repeatedly at worst he will get an A-jail, not saying all, but some servers do have this way of dealing out punishments. 

5. High and Heavy standards are one and the same, it means that the standards put on players are well high,  these standards are often followed with a greater trust of players as well. Players are expected to follow and know the rules and definitions of terms such as metagaming, powergaming, etc, etc. Not just that, but they are also expected to be able to properly roleplay fear and things as such in an appropriate and believable fashion.

6. Medium Roleplay servers almost always tend to have some players that barely know the rules, and roleplay as such, often poor character portrayal and things of that nature, but they also often have some really fantastic roleplayers, that do all of these things above and beyond. As my mention to where on certain servers/communities there are areas of their maps where nobody goes because they know it is just going to be a DM-fest. 

7. Of course, you can, but it's often rare because if you enforce them to the same extent you do on heavy-RP servers, the population tends to dry up rather quickly. 

8. Heavy RP does not HAVE to be realistic, but often cases it is. I mean, there are some great Heavy-RP StarWars servers and communities as one example. More often than not though, these heavy-RP servers are attempts of recreating a society similar to what we have In-real-life, GTA-W is an example of this. It can never truly be 1:1 realism because most people do not enjoy RPing paying taxes and things of that nature. 

9. Good roleplay is of course not objective, it is really depending on the person. Detailed RP has a place and a time, and in certain aspects, detailed RP can be better than none detailed RP, but then there is pointless detail, like people writing a 1000 character word /Me for simply taking a sip of their drink. Good RP, in my opinion, is a well-developed character, someone that you could believably see in-real-life, and someone whose actions you can logically explain, this, of course, mixed in with proper usage of /Me's, /do's and /my's in the mix. There are some fantastic examples of people with roleplay such as this here on GTA-W.

Hopefully that gives you some insight into what I meant, if not, feel free to just ask me again, I am more than happy to respond! 

• Upvote 1
  • Applaud 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Some thoughts:

Light RP: 

People play in character a little bit and move from IC to OOC and back again very frequently.  Everything's mostly for laughs.  Inconvenient consequences, like driving off a cliff or getting one's head blown off, are ignored or minimized to the point of triviality.  No sense of continuing story arcs or character development.  Characters are portrayed as extreme stereotypes or caricatures.  People seek drama and do a lot of troll rp, just for drama, excitement, and laughs.  Most players have little rp experience.  Only basic rules are enforced, like not going on a deathmatching rampage or shooting missiles at each other.  There is no discernible economy.

Medium RP:

People consistently try to stay in character and use agreed OOC channels for OOC comms, like /b and /pm.  A big part of the community tries to take rp somewhat seriously.  There's still plenty of troll rp, but people at least try to make excuses for it.  People treat their IC time as a continuous part of their characters' lives, instead of disconnected episodes that don't matter after they've passed.  Characters ICly recall past events and make a decent attempt to include significant consequences like injuries or grudges or friendships in their rp.  People have more of a sense of their characters as people with consistent personalities instead of blatant self-inserts or wildly different personalities every time they log in (shy one day and a violent criminal the next, etc.).  People start developing their characters' personalities in response to past in-game events.  People start developing long term story arcs and long term factions.  People at least read the wikipedia article for the faction or role they're trying to portray.  Admins make a serious effort to enforce rules but have their hands full because so many people are breaking rules.  There is an economy, but it is usually completely unbalanced. 

Heavy RP:

Most people do a good job of staying in character at all times.  People plan out long term story arcs in advance with the other people who will be involved.  People think about their characters' ordinary behavior and personality, and rp it consistently, like 'my character likes ice cream, so he gets an ice cream whenever he's at Del Perro Pier'.  Factions and roles are well-researched and rped consistently with great attention to detail, like taking into account a gangster's friendships and family relationships in addition to his gang life.  People start rping more civilian roles oriented more towards social rp and character development instead of action and crime.  People take IC consequences seriously, like rping injuries throughout their recovery period, rping drug addiction, rping the ups and downs of friendships and rivalries, and rping according to what the character wants and needs rather than the player's OOC interests.  People become more accepting of permanent character death if it is a sensible and dramatic resolution of an IC story arc.  Self-insert characters are rare and considered inappropriate.  Troll rp in much less common thought it still occurs.  Crime rp is much more thought out and story related, instead of done out of boredom, laugh-seeking, or money grinding.  There are more rules, mainly about staying in character and they are enforced vigorously.  The in-game economy generally moves along decently without making too many people too unhappy.