Character Kills instead of Player Kills

Ketamine Kowboy

I think you’re forgetting the point of rp is fun. Saying we should cut back on fun for more rp makes no sense

nobody wants this. The only reason this is a general discussion not suggestion is because it will be denied instantly as it’s a no brainer that nobody wants this and this will 100% result in a playerbase drop

Just now, Shekh said:

I think you’re forgetting the point of rp is fun. Saying we should cut back on fun for more rp makes no sense

nobody wants this. The only reason this is a general discussion not suggestion is because it will be denied instantly as it’s a no brainer that nobody wants this and this will 100% result in a playerbase drop

I mean, fun is not something objective, I would find it way more fun with a system like this in place. The reason for this being a discussion is what I replied above to another person in this thread. With the current state of the server, it would never work and saying "nobody" is a bit bold, considering that there's support for the side I am fencing for in the discussion. 
I will leave it at that on my side since I do not want this to become a pointless back and forth where no new points are made.

Just a bit fat no. I see no reason why someone's character should be essentially deleted after developing it for a solid year for some ridiculous reason, especially considering how some criminal roleplayers don't roleplay any of the consequences of murdering someone as if suddenly they are a stone-cold murderer that doesn't get care about others. Not saying everyone is like that,  but a lot are. Sure there are some who do that, but chances are the one who will murder you for some ridiculous reason will not and then you're left characterless. Would it be fun? Not for me personally and I imagine a lot of others are on the same page. There is a reason why there are CK apps and admins can even force a CK if a situation is suitable without there being an app.

This brings me to the next point, everyone and I mean everyone should be roleplaying fear of ending up dying regardless if there is a rule or you're gonna be CK'd. Anyone who doesn't is just a terrible roleplayer and needs to educate themselves, because stone-cold killers shouldn't exist from out of thin air. It's basically the equivalent of robocop in the criminal world, nobody likes those right? 

Back on the point, CK's apps are there for a reason and even when there isn't a CK app, people CK themselves because it makes sense to do in certain situations. This system is perfectly fine, it works, its fun so no reason to fix something that isn't broken.

Also, as mentioned early, only CK's will diminish the player base by a big margin and simply will not work to be implemented on an established server. This would require a new server and be a thing from day 1. But as someone mentioned, this was a thing with a server in GTA SA - OwlGaming and is no further for a reason. It doesn't work. In the perfect world? It would, but sorry, it isn't a perfect world. 

• Upvote 2

I believe you should have a CK enforced if you die after initiating conflict with a weapon.

The amount of times I’ve seen people abuse that fact that other players just aren’t paying attention, or are typing, or in animations - where they have no real risk in dying except item losses.

It’d make people far less confident in resorting to murder, because they’d stand to lose their entire character. It’d protect those being attacked from unwarranted character kills (robberies, poor reasoning, accidents).

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Lmao said:

Only being able to CK upon dying

This would but an immense amount of work on Staff and Players and I really don't want to have to write even more on forums than I already do.

Every time you die to a bug it would need to be voided back into a PK. I don't think you should be CKed because someone guns you down for questionable reasons, either. We've had people pull out guns and shoot LEOs on sight with minimal roleplay, having that be a permadeath would quite frankly be a very unsatisfying end for a character.

We have so many bodies daily that the server would dry up in a week. Also there's a reason you have to apply to CK someone. That power should not be in the hands of random players.

I'd rather not lose my character and all of my development over something that in no way warrants a CK.

Basically this. Before talks of abolishing PKs for CKs c an be had we need to completely revamp the server's ecosystem. WE have far too many random murders.

Edited by pateuvasiliu

If I had a dollar for every time I was killed for a pointless reason or just flat out DMed, oh man. I'd be on my 500th character by now if this were the case. I can see CKs being a thing for IC wars or something similar or when it's your OOC desire to kill off a character. But otherwise you'll be going through characters like it's nobody's business.

Roleplay is just interactive story-telling with other people. And just like real life, everyone's the star of their own story. So you better have a damn good reason if you're going to end someone's story prematurely. 

Hence, CK apps.

Edited by Jackal

When the corpse system was added, we saw the amount of bodies in the morgue (just those that were actually found, not counting the hundreds that were disposed of by another party, not transported to the morgue due to a server crash or simply never found) pile up to 150 (if memory serves)  in the span of 2 weeks. Translate those to CKs... It would be ridiculous.

in short, the server sees Detroit’s average annual murder count in a timeframe of weeks. I’d estimate the amount of murders committed annually is far greater than the murders committed in Washington DC or New York City during the worst years those cities have experienced with homicides.

I could go on about how something that IRL is considered a ‘high risk lifestyle’ (e.g drug dealing, gang membership, etc) is statistically 100x more dangerous when RPed in comparison to the real world, but I think I’ve made my point.

Edited by Yass
5 hours ago, PapaBruh said:

I believe you should have a CK enforced if you die after initiating conflict with a weapon.

The amount of times I’ve seen people abuse that fact that other players just aren’t paying attention, or are typing, or in animations - where they have no real risk in dying except item losses.

It’d make people far less confident in resorting to murder, because they’d stand to lose their entire character. It’d protect those being attacked from unwarranted character kills (robberies, poor reasoning, accidents).

Arent paying attention? That’s not “abusing” anything, who would want you focused on them when initiating an attack.

Also this isnt a voice rp server, obviously text has limitations such as being shot or robbed while typing. Your character is still there ICly when typing or in a anim,

it’s not free pass from being shot or robbed.

A community I played at employed a fairly good system when it came to this and I think it's pretty simple; negligence. If you do something on your character that is otherwise intentionally placing them in harms way, is generally reckless or you otherwise instigate something that ends your character's life, then you are entitled to a CK and it's irreversible. (This sort of thing ranges from, say; acts of heroism, failing to comply during robberies etc, so on.)

When you suddenly start enforcing CK's for every single death, you make people too scared to venture into certain lines of RP, and it makes character development less incentivising when you can die despite doing nothing reckless or warranted with your character.

Enforcing CK's as a standard would be a large mistake and I think most would agree.

The thing you also have to ask yourself is; is it worth it? Is it really worth that tiny bit of immersion?  I don't think it is. I don't see the fairness in killing off someone's hard work for a shitty reason just so the killer/surrounding people can have a tiny bit more immersion. It's a simple answer; when someone's PK'd, the person who got killed is just some unnamed person (or, toss a random name on'em if you like.) and the person who received the PK has no knowledge of it whatsoever, and forgets relevant information.

Edited by Subeh
  • Upvote 1