Realism within PD?

6 minutes ago, aldo said:

Tracing should be disabled.. it is powergame as FUCK to the point where officers can trace any random number. It’s also bugged

Misinformation. Tracing is limited to Command Staff and Detectives, and there are rules in place, as stated several times above, to dictate what can and cannot be traced. Anyone found abusing this is in breach of server rules and will be dealt accordingly. As it stands, nobody abuses it, and all trace usage is within the boundaries of our internal guidelines. Tracing is easily combatted and where any bugs come into play, situations are typically voided or rolled back. 

15 minutes ago, aldo said:

Tracing should be disabled.. it is powergame as FUCK to the point where officers can trace any random number. It’s also bugged

I'd like to also mention that not /every/ Officer can trace. Only very select few have this ability. It's HIGHLY moderated within PD.

EDIT: Y'all beat me to it god daaamn!

Edited by SULLI
4 minutes ago, SpartanofSparta said:

And... it’s not bugged. It WAS bugged, then fixed. We tested it last night to ensure it was not bugged and it still is working as intended.

There is a bug but like I mentioned it's very rare to come across. If you take someones phone and delete or drop it, for some reason in RARE circumstances it continues to track the suspect. In this occasion, we continue RP till we pat them down and find evidence that the phone was thrown, broken or stored. If that is the case, we VOID the situation as it cannot have occurred. There are only a few Detectives in PD and I speak with them daily. We ALL know about this bug and we ALL void these situations so as to not screw over the opposing party. It's Powergame, so we do not continue. 

EDIT: We also notify Admins who will check the logs to help us resolve this situation. Other than that, tracing is fine. 

Edited by SULLI
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, .45 said:

My guy, I have reliable source in PD and there's no point for you to lie every person who have attemlted to evade at least once can confirm it. Only time you don't trace is when the car has no plate and you can't acquire the information of the player by your overpowered MDC that has everything about the player.

Seems your source within the PD is just as ill-informed as you are. From previous experience on my illegal alt characters, not ONCE have I been EVER traced solely based on a pursuit or similar reasons, they always occurred if and when life was at risk or danger, or situations of similar magnitudes.

Regarding our "overpowered MDC", let us see what the MDC holds on any new character that I just created.

tLjeRtU.png

Want the police department to not feel over-powering as you claim? Try playing a smart(er) criminal. Here are some quick tips:

• The first rule of any crime: Don't get caught. (Once you're in the system and you've been processed, fingerprints, DNA, mugshots, et cetera, you're more susceptible to being caught again in the future.)
  • Use PAYG (Pay As You Go) phones for shady business.
  • Do not use registered vehicles to perform the crime.
  • Do not use social media to blag your guns, narcotics, show your likeness, or properties such as residences, vehicles, garages.

I mean, the list really does go on, you just have to do your research. Do you believe that the LSPD cannot conduct themselves in a realistic manner? You really need to see how 90% of the "criminals" we arrest on a day to day are plain stupid and how they do their crime without second-thought. They are not upheld to the same policies, standards, protocols set out by the department in both IC and OOC means. Most of the time why you get caught is because you haven't done your research. Simply put, you're not a successful criminal.

The process of getting INTO the LSPD in the first place is a filter of its own to eradicate poor roleplayers. Let us not mention the fact of the application process you must go through at first to even set foot in this server.

I'd like to just add on top of the conversation and mention that it's not only emergency vehicles which do not possess insurance or that are not required to, the following vehicle classes are exempt from insurance as well, many of which can and are player-owned.

Cycles, Boats, Helicopters, Planes, Service, Emergency, Military, Trains.

You'll notice a pattern, most of these being public service-related to just plainly too expensive for this economy, rather than based on what is realistic and not.

You need to remember that at the end of the day, although we are trying to be a realistic server, there are going to be limitations, obstacles, and factors at play which get in the way of achieving 100% simulation or realism. This is especially true for how things work with scripts, more so than what others in the LSPD roleplay.

Edited by xanx
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Applaud 1

I agree that tracing shouldn’t be an exact 1:1 location and tracing should be restricted heavily but it shouldn’t be disabled. I’m pretty sure PD already have restrictions regarding tracing which is how it should be. If you’re a felon wanted for crimes such as murder expect a trace.

Theres nothing unrealistic about airships though. LAPD frequently use airships and it’s entirely realistic. They’re a resource to be used so they use them.

• Upvote 1

I'm re-iterating this, but for the sake of the original poster — I can understand your concerns pertinent to having a faction having an airship for the majority of chases, but the fact is, is that it is realistic. Think of the atmosphere an air unit actually creates though, the tension after breaking the law that an air unit could potentially follow you and pretty much never lose you, you should take that in-character and adjust yourself to it. 

Be more careful, be vigilant, hide, or simply don't go into really open, public spaces. 

Tracing should not be a 1:1 location, in my opinion we're not here to just ''catch'' you, we're here to give you as a law enforcement role player a good, enjoyable experience of being chased and hunted down by police officers. A script that'll instantly tell me where you are with no need for any role play at all, it's a turn off for me. 

Moving on, tracing is being used 24/7 just like choppers for any situation, while once again in reallity PD will need a warrant and detectives with needed equipment involved for that, which takes weeks to months to be organized if even deemed to be prioritized.

This is wrong. LAPD and any law enforcement agency has a hotline for Judges in real life. They could get blood warrants, arrest/search and what they like to call (EMERGENCY arrest/search warrants) which allow a cop to call a Judge in real-time (phone, but usually Skype) explain the warrant, the charges, the individual and give a sworn testimony to said Judge and they will accept it in a matter of minutes / hours. 

Albeit there's a difference between real life and this game, and I agree, tracing shouldn't be used for any and all cases (and I am sure it isnt) as there needs to be a middle ground between making it fair for law enforcement and criminal role players. 

Another thing is using 40 MIKE MIKE aka non lethal rubber shotgun to gun down people off their bikes at w/e speed just because script will instantly drop you off it. Why is it allowed, and if addressed don't say that it's an IC issue, it's clearly not an IC issue, not a single cop would gun somebody off the bike when it goes 60mph when it's not an active threat

Can't speak for LSPD, but in the LSSD we have restrictions on when this is ever used and if it'll ever be authorized on an in-character basis. We don't bean-bag people going high speeds. For instance, if you just got onto your bike and you're reaching up to 30 MPH (the actual game counter boosts this to make it SEEM like you're going faster FYI) and I could bean-bag you, I would. 

Anything over 30 MPH is dangerous and usually isn't permitted at all. The LSPD I am sure have their own internal restrictions on this. If you feel like this has happened to you and you don't think it is fair, report said member via their faction or the forums. You have the tools to fix any issues you encounter.

• Applaud 3
2 hours ago, SpartanofSparta said:

In response to this... I think you’re confusing insurance with vehicle maintenance. Insurance is not required on emergency vehicles, hence why they should have the SA Exempt plate. If they don’t, call Mr Admin and ask them to set it. They should.

Vehicle Maintenance on the other hand is a thing, and we drive cruisers, ambulances, fire engines, whatever to garages and get them serviced. We have internal policy on this, and it comes out of the pocket of the department.

Last time the car I seen had LSPD ## on plate, not a proper plate according to what you Say.

I think that there will always be concerns that can crop up when it comes to how the law enforcement factions operate and checks and balances will always be continually assessed to ensure that the day to day running of the server from a balance perspective is as beneficial to all as it can be.

The argument pertaining to the use of the helicopter is one that will never reach a majority consensus because opinions vary based entirely on what you want to believe the LSPD is most influenced by in it's makeup. If, like me, you bathe in the ideal that it's most closely tied to the LAPD, then the use of the helicopter (of which the LAPD actually maintain 19 helicopters and one fixed wing aircraft [REFERENCE]) is not an uncommon occurrence. If however you feel that the LSPD is a totally unique concept and draws no influence from any real life department whatsoever, then that opinion becomes murky. Law Enforcement across the US is not unified in it's approach to the use of air support, simply because various States, Counties and Municipalities vary in size, funds and personnel. The LAPD is not the same as Des Moines PD in Iowa, which in turn is larger than Loup County Sheriff's Office in Nebraska. To then argue outright that the use of a helicopter is black-and-white unrealistic is bold at best.

The argument about tracing is somewhat dubious, given that a great deal of what is being said is based on assumption, rather than any degree of concrete evidence. That said, people who feel they have fallen victim to the use of tracing are unlikely to listen to reasoning. @aldo is one such example:

1 hour ago, aldo said:

I feel that it's somewhat important to note that this statement isn't actually based off of any water-tight testing or rigorous testing, but rather is a knee-jerk reaction to the verdict offered in this forum report.

I appreciate that some may feel frustrated by tracing and I'll reiterate that it's difficult for some to accept the statements of those within the LSPD faction, but it's a highly regulated and highly restricted tool and isn't simply used willy-nilly.

To be a little more blunt however, I will state this: Those of you who state you have reliable sources in the LSPD are providing malicious fabrications. You should reconsider your position on the matter.

Use of force, like most other issues raised, is not a simple thing and continuously needs reviewed. If you honestly feel that the use of force adopted surpasses the limits of realism, you can make use of the Roleplay Report Form provided on the LSPD forum to report it direct to the faction. If you're not satisfied with the outcome of such a report, you're more than able to report a faction member here to address it with a member of community staff. Having it be debated here with no tangible point of reference doesn't help, and only ends up clouding the issue into a murky whirlpool of bitterness, as has been demonstrated here.

The argument pertaining to Police fleet insurance is a farce and any amount of low-effort research will show you that they are exempt. The pettiness of even putting this forward is bemusing.

In summary, I think it's important to keep in mind that we're all here for the common cause of roleplaying. Yes, there are competitive aspects to that and nobody would fault you for looking to seek fairness in the competitive aspects, but I think that the points raised here are extremely subjective and not totally based on egregious faults from the LSPD faction, but moreso derive from annoyance from certain scenes in which you lost out on. To that end, I don't think there's a tremendous amount that @Big_Smokes can do to remedy your situation. Have a look at the links I provided. Perhaps those will be a better port-of-call that a bandwagon topic such as this one.

Edited by Paddy
  • Applaud 2
  • Cara locked this topic