Lore & Real Brands

Dumplings

GTA lore has some decent things, but it's pretty wack and too comedical imo. I use the fast food joints (mixed with real ones too) and the cars, and that's about it. Clothes, drinks, snacks, candy etc I use IRL brands. I tend to stick to common west coast shit that I grew up drinking and eating etc cause it's relatable. Shit like Arizonas, SoBes, juicy fruit, butterfingers, etc. Going in and RPing an eCola and a Meteor bar just feels stupid so I don't.

• 1 month later...

There is a mix of things that I role-play different ways. Physical places such as Burger Shot / Cluckin Bell etc and vehicles I refer to by their GTA name due to ease of access and the fact they are static unchangeable things. 

Drinks and items I refer to by their real life counterpart; the majority of names in GTA are gag names and it pains me to see people using these to try start actual companies or items. It just looks goofy when you see things like Gruppe Sechs or BAWSAQ because its so clearly a gag name, it breaks my immersion quick.

I don't agree with people extending the GTA universe past GTA:V. Roleplaying Liberty City, Las Venturas, Vice city and San Fierro is stupid and pointless when you can roleplay the real life counterpart with nothing lost. If the server is aiming to strive towards realism outlawing this is one of the big changes I see needing to happen.

• Upvote 1

Everyone knows about real life brands. If I tell you my character owns a Magpul case which he uses for his phone, you can look up Magpul, what products they sell, what they stand for, and therefore what this choice of phone case says about my character. Obviously not every choice of what to consume is such an egregious statement, but brand choices are a nice tool to depict your character in a detailed way.

You can't have that for videogames brands that were only ever meant to be a billboard in the horizon or a funny ad on the radio.

Edited by arrdef