Lore & Real Brands

Dumplings

Hi, I thought this general discussion would be a very useful thing for everyone, both players and staff to come to a conclusion on a rather odd thing.

So I've come across issues where people are arguing about how to RP lore based brands versus real life brands. The issue mainly stems off items and vehicles that should exist but can't due to limitations on the objects actual existence within the game, given this is an island state part of America, a place in the real world and the only reason why such problems rise is because of Rockstar not being able/not wanting to pay all the monetary fees or whatever else they are called for all the real life brands such as CocaCola/Sprite. I have seen people RP'ing cars with real life brands which personally makes me cringe a little, I understand the wish for it, I have seen it happen in other servers on SA-MP very very often and I understand the sensibility behind it but that wouldn't be the right way to go around it. There's always an argument going on behind remaining lore friendly and.. well quite frankly bringing in the rest of the world along with it's brands but lets get into the logic of it --

Say you go to a bar for example, you order your favourite drink, which will it be? It's likely going to be Budweiser, Corona, Heineken, Guinness, Bacardi, Jack Daniels, Old Crow ect.. and then you have the lore friendly people looking at you like 'That doesn't exist! That's not the way to RP!' No actually, think of it - if you removed every single piece of real life brands for consumables, you might as well start calling apples as bananas because everyone will only ever drink eCola, Sprunk or Logger. You've cut off the rest of the Earth meaning that the only consumable products available are those made in San Andreas but -- what does your character eat or drink when it goes on say a holiday? Or perhaps goes for a visit home to another state if they're not a local? Or what if your character gets sick, does the character only ever consume Deludamol to get better?

Next comes the issue with vehicles - most of the cars you see in the game always have a strong resemblance to it's real life counterpart. All Obeys look like Audis, Ubermachs are based on BMW's, Benefactor is the games idea of Mercedess, Vapid look like Fords, Shitzu's being Suzukis and so on.. So why do we have this big issue with people arguing about branding their cars through RP as something else? Well, those who oppose it are mostly correct. Owning a vehicle that resembles something like a Ford Crown-Victoria does not mean that you should RP it as one. There's a sensible way to go around the issue. I personally (seeing as there is no real baseline to follow) RP all vehicles in the state being off-brands/retailed vehicles much like Lexus does in America with Toyota with a bunch of Toyota vehicles (Toyota Soarrer & Lexus SC 300 is an example) or the Opels and even some Pontiacs being relabelled as Vauxhall's in different countries despite being pretty much the same car with slightly different tuning. Rp'ing cars like the Vapids being Fords is sensible to an extent. Just RP them as an off-brand/retailed/re-branded vehicle in San Andreas due to odd regulations of sorts.

I'm super curious about what other people think about this stuff and where the balance in all this really sits.

• Upvote 1

People needa get over this GTA Lore BS and learn to be creative and roleplay like real people, not GTA online characters.

Cars are reasonable because there's a shitload of content there. But shit like clothing brands, alcohol, phones and cigarette brands should be up to the player to roleplay. I'm not a fan of having my RP dictated, so I'm not about to let someone tell me my char has to drink 'cerveza barracho' and not corona. It's simply not gonna happen because i cant and don't take GTA Lore seriously. I RP as if my characters a human being in the real world so I'll use real world brands if I desire to do so.

If people don't like that? Well shit, I really don't care.

Edited by El Ghetto Man
  • Upvote 8
  • Applaud 3

i personally dont rp any of the vehicles we have as something that is a thing irl, to me an elegy is an elegy and not a skyline (generally find it cringey when ppl go by irl brand names)

as for like drinks etc i go by real life because if im ordering a tequila sunrise im expecting the proper ingredients and im not gonna make up some weird name for the drink i want, that would just cause a lot of confusion and i would end up with something else.

at the end of the day, i dont mind if ppl say ecola or coke, what i do find weird is when ppl use real life brands for their vehicles when the title for the car clearly isnt whatever irl brand they claim it is.

• Upvote 2
11 minutes ago, El Ghetto Man said:

I'm not a fan of having my RP dictated, so I'm not about to let someone tell me my char has to drink 'cerveza barracho' and not corona. It's simply not gonna happen because i cant and don't take GTA Lore seriously. I RP as if my characters a human being in the real world so I'll use real world brands if I desire to do so.

7 minutes ago, BobBob said:

at the end of the day, i dont mind if ppl say ecola or coke, what i do find weird is when ppl use real life brands for their vehicles when the title for the car clearly isnt whatever irl brand they claim it is.

exactly.. hence why I've always RP'd that my characters Shitzu Hakuchou is just an off-brand (due to state import regulations or something as such) of the Suzuki Hayabusa it owned while living on U.S. mainland and thus I just call it the Hakuchou, I rp eCola mostly as just.. cola, sprunks are usually sprites for me ect. ppl just argue about all this more and more often, either as a joke or actually being serious so I thought this could be a good way to try and make sense of it for everyone

Edited by Dumplings

Just why tf would you even care about it? Like what does it change and make you cringe? Literally nothing. Let the people rp things they want I'd rather say BMW than Ubermacht Oracle XS. Everyone gets the idea anyways. Matter a fact this discussion has already been done in past and staff is working for continiuty for past 7 months.

Edited by .45
  • Upvote 1
  • Applaud 1
Just now, .45 said:

Just why tf would you even care about it? Like what does it change and make you cringe? Literally nothing. Let the people rp things they want I'd rather say BMW than Ubermacht Oracle XS.

wew someone got ticked off..

i care about it because this is a general discussion topic regarding the entire servers lore and branding, its a discussion, im curious, is that a good answer for u mr grump?

you could say BMW but it would never be a BMW on paper, not until the devs decide to finally bring in the rest of the worlds vehicle market in by adding real car mods, just like they've done with the Kawaii which is literally a Mazda MX5 (Miata) and even has the last generation Mazda badge on it with the only difference being the name. It makes me cringe sure but it's not like I'm completely against it is it? I'm just curious on ppls opinions.

10 minutes ago, .45 said:

Let the people rp things they want I'd rather say BMW than Ubermacht Oracle XS. 

naming the oracle a bmw is just wrong though. the title for the car clearly states oracle, not bmw. its like saying coke is sprite when the branding around the bottle clearly states coke lol.

I prefer using real life brands. Real life brands feel so much better and are easier to roleplay around because of our already existing knowledge about them, and they sound more appropriate and fitting in our server. Roleplaying a Budweiser sounds better than a “Pisswasser” for example. If we chose to stick strictly to in game brands, you are very limited on what you can roleplay.

Vehicles on the other hand have so much detail put into them as opposed to SAMP where the names would just be “Premier”, “Landstalker”, etc with a low detail design, unlike here where we’ve got both makes and models with a ton of detail on the vehicle. An example would be a Vapid Stainer being modeled after a Ford Crown Victoria. I would love to roleplay real life cars, however, there is so much detail on the cars to the point where it would seem tacky to roleplay a Dodge Charger instead of a Bravado Buffalo for instance.

• Thanks 1
52 minutes ago, El Ghetto Man said:

Cars are reasonable because there's a shitload of content there. But shit like clothing brands, alcohol, phones and cigarette brands should be up to the player to roleplay. I'm not a fan of having my RP dictated, so I'm not about to let someone tell me my char has to drink 'cerveza barracho' and not corona. It's simply not gonna happen because i cant and don't take GTA Lore seriously. I RP as if my characters a human being in the real world so I'll use real world brands if I desire to do so.

12 minutes ago, CloutToken said:

I prefer using real life brands. Real life brands feel so much better and are easier to roleplay around because of our already existing knowledge about them, and they sound more appropriate and fitting in our server. Roleplaying a Budweiser sounds better than a “Pisswasser” for example. If we chose to stick strictly to in game brands, you are very limited on what you can roleplay.

Vehicles on the other hand have so much detail put into them as opposed to SAMP where the names would just be “Premier”, “Landstalker”, etc with a low detail design, unlike here where we’ve got both makes and models with a ton of detail on the vehicle. An example would be a Vapid Stainer being modeled after a Ford Crown Victoria. I would love to roleplay real life cars, however, there is so much detail on the cars to the point where it would seem tacky to roleplay a Dodge Charger instead of a Bravado Buffalo for instance.

This pretty much sums up the conversation. Cars are covered immensely by in-game brands. Anything else though? I'm all for supporting one's ability to choose using in-game brands or real life brands. Drinks especially. I run a bar and I have some people who use Patriot and Logger for brands and others who use Corona/etc. That's fine. If you want to show off that Timex watch, why shouldn't you be able to? ?

Edited by Scaramouche
  • Applaud 1