Banning System.

Sami.

This is gonna be fun.

I honestly think we can build a versitile ban system that not only creates better roleplayers, but increases the playerbase.

If you break a rule, you get banned, easy as. There shouldn't be kicks, warnings, or a-jails. This might sound dumb, however if you break this rule, you need to re-take a situational test and you are put back into the server if you pass. There should be multiaple easy to read guides that the people of the server could create to help these rule breakers actually learn how not break rules.

This doesn't apply for people like me, if you can actually roleplay, and decide to break OOC rules, like being a toxic person, then you don't have this opportunity.

I'm basically suggesting a rehabilitiation system for rule breakers to be able to re-join and become a member of the community.

If these rule breakers have to put in the effort to write an exam, (1000-2000 words min.) and that exam being about roleplay, their intentions back on the server obviously isn't going to be to rulebreak, and if it is, ban them again, permenently.

This isn't a suggestion anyway related to mine, I deserve my ban and at the time of every one of my bans (ban the last one), giving me a second chance would of been a bad idea.

There have been other servers that have adopted this type of system in addition to things like admin jails, kicks and so on. It's been called other things, like Probation, or anything else that an admin may have saw fit.

The issue with this is that tests like this typically don't help if it's based on one particular incident for a number of reasons.

• The one incident may have limitations as to how rigorously it can be assessed.
  • The correct responses may well be learned and regurgitated, thus showing no true sign of the player improving.

The alternative then is an ongoing public assessment of the player, asking them to check in with a member of staff to show how they are contributing post-ban. The problem with this kind of system is that it is needlessly demeaning for a player and in the end can cause that player to lapse into bad behavior through frustration, or simply leave altogether.

The system in place now (ie ajails, kicks etc) serve a purpose of stating that misconduct has occurred and a sanction has been imposed, without prolonging the indignity for the player who committed the offence. I think we should always strive not to embarrass somebody for making a mistake, or making bad decisions.

I would wager the sort of people who get admin jailed for 30 minutes and keep breaking the rules are not going to be very receptive to some kind of roleplay therapy or quiz that's design to 'rehabilitate' them.

If the whole goal of this proposal is to increase the playerbase, I don't honestly believe it would do that. If anything, telling someone they have to write a 2000 word essay may just ensure they never come back to the server again.

Not everyone has the patience for a slow-paced, text-based RP and you can't force someone to enjoy it. Especially if they enjoy hopping into rental cars and running you over a lot more.

If only the rules were that black and white.

More often than not, the question of whether or not a rule has been broken is ambiguous. The player allegedly breaking the rule may not even realise that they've done it until they're questioned about it and it's explained in detail to them where they went wrong. To tar these people under the same brush as someone who is out there blatantly breaking the rules wouldn't be fair.

It's for that reason that there's a system of escalation in place, whereby if you break a rule - you receive a sanction that's suitable to what you did and the severity. If you break that rule again, you get a heftier sanction. It gets to the point where if the player clearly isn't receptive to feedback, and they break the same rules again and again, that they are deemed unfit and the last option is to ban them from the server.

There doesn't need to be a rehabilitation program. If you can't play by the rules, then you simply can't play the game - that's all there is to it. Forcing people to fill out a survey does nothing. I've seen people who are great roleplayers - they just have a tough time following the rules; a questionnaire about roleplay would do nothing for them.

• Applaud 1