Credit original creators when claiming content as your own IC

Hugh-Gi-Oh

Just now, DOLL said:

Why yall care so much? I have permission of of the day, its none of yall business now leave me alone ... keep doing yall little things yall do IG. Thank you and goodbye ?? 

Your attitude's fucking atrocious, my guy.

.45 and Mitch bring up very valid points, that should definitely be looked into.

• Applaud 1
Just now, DOLL said:

Why yall care so much? I have permission end of the day, its none of yall business now leave me alone ... keep doing yall little things yall do IG. Thank you and goodbye ?? This is a game not real life

Just asking and not being toxic, how would you feel if you created something and worked hard on it just for a roleplayer to claim it as their own and not give credit? T

1 minute ago, Violence said:

Just asking and not being toxic, how would you feel if you created something and worked hard on it just for a roleplayer to claim it as their own and not give credit? T

I wouldnt mind , cause its a game. Now if it was real life ya ill be mad, I already gotten permission I asked her and she told me what was gta w and I told her it just a rping server and it wasn’t real and Its promo anyways. It would be nice enough if yall leave me alone and stop gumbling. Idk if yall have reading problems not trying to insult but I just said multiple times I already gave credit lmao

Edited by DOLL
9 minutes ago, JustAnM43 said:

Your attitude's fucking atrocious, my guy.

.45 and Mitch bring up very valid points, that should definitely be looked into.

And I bring valid points, idc if you dont like my attitude or not. Just leave me alone, ima keep doing what I do and yall keep doing whatever yall do ig. Thank you im done with this thread and done with people that want to put someone down.

Edited by DOLL
7 minutes ago, DOLL said:

I wouldnt mind , cause its a game. Now if it was real life ya ill be mad, I already gotten permission I asked her and she told me what was gta w and I told her it just a rping server and it wasn’t real and Its promo anyways. It would be nice enough if yall leave me alone and stop gumbling. Idk if yall have reading problems not trying to insult but I just said multiple times I already gave credit lmao

I think that this is a very concerning response for a number of reasons. Firstly, you have made a sweeping statement pertaining to how you would feel, without ever having experienced it firsthand. I don't want to presume how you would react, but I can say with a level of confidence that you most likely wouldn't brush off plagiarized/stolen/repossessed content.

I also feel that this idea that it being "a game" is worryingly superficial. Regardless of the purpose of content or it's creation, the effort and end product is still tangible. Within the scope of music content, it's also transferable, meaning it could be applied in a great many other areas beyond the scope of the game/community for which is was originally intended. To that end, regardless of GTA:W being irrelevant, as you are so adamant that it is, the buck doesn't stop with this community when it comes to content creation.

Finally, I hasten to address that your egregious and aggressive defense of your actions illustrates that you know that your conduct — or more broadly the act of plagiarizing or stealing work without offering credit — is unacceptable. I also fervently state that in spite of you saying you gave credit, there is no outright credit on the post itself, nor have you been willing to provide evidence of permission from the original creator, instead asking "why do you all care?" I think that a number of community members have already expressed their concerns there, so perhaps it would be easier to show that instead of being so abrasive.

Moving on from a specific incident and speaking more broadly, I understand the concern for GTA:W as a community, but as it operates as a platform and not as the actual publishing entity, it would be in the clear. The same can't be said for the actual person responsible however, so for the sake of the community, it would be prudent for GTA:W to enforce this for the sake of protecting community members from potential legal jeopardy. Even aside from legality, it's highly immoral to conduct yourself in such a fashion.

It's an interesting debate, and not an issue I had been aware of until now. I appreciate it being brought up.

• Upvote 1

Honestly more curious to message the YouTuber and question with such a strong defense by Doll since they may not actually have permission.  Anyone can say they have permission to post their stuff without actual permission.  I will admit I do think that you could at least link the official video or something under the FB posts just to be nice, but overall I'm not staff so it's up to them.  Either they don't do anything and nothing happens or eventually they may find a creator finding their stuff posted without their permission and they get a cease and desist which will have to be enforced anyway.  

Still though good point to bring up. Figured it was already a thing. 

• 1 year later...

I have only skimmed through, but I'll still add my two cents:

On the one hand, I can't honestly say defend that you should only RP things that you can do IRL. You shouldn't know Spanish to have your character speak in Spanish; you shouldn't need a Law degree to RP a lawyer. In this sense, it feels unfair to be unable to have a character who is a singer if you can't/won't sing on a microphone and upload it to the pretend Facebook of a Grand Theft Auto RP server. People have the "right" to live the fantasy of playing an artist regardless of their own personal artistic talent or ability.

Now.

I have personally seen many of these characters try to pass other peoples' music as their own, hiding all reference to the original creators and reuploading with their names. A reupload in itself is not bad, it adds to the immersion if you can link to "your character's" own music video. But I find it funny that the artists they choose sing at least semi-professionally and obviously have a studio behind their work, but they tend to choose relatively underground/unknown artists.

Of course, it makes sense to choose small artists: nobody who has any self-awareness in regards to GTAW wants to try and pass a 2Pac track as their own. Even if done unintentionally, choosing more obscure music that is unknown to a wide audience only adds to the feeling that the player is trying to get away with others thinking they actually produced the track.

So what's wrong with that?

Well, I think that in a setting like GTAW, where we have modern tools, social networking, and people can produce content, it's not fair that some people create their own content (while being unapologetically amateurs composing songs as a hobby from their own home) and their quality has to be compared to other characters who are just trying to present a (semi)professional artist's work as their own.

I'm not going to lie, the majority of the music produced by GTAW players for their characters is definitely not for me, and I don't like it, but I have an amazing amount of respect for the fact that they go the extra mile in trying to do it, and I feel bad for them being called "bad", or "cringe" so readily because people are unable to suspend their disbelief and lower their quality standards in music (but that's a different discussion). It just feels unfair that then people have to compare apples to oranges IC, without full disclosure that one is an amateur work created by a player and the other one is a commercial song.

Let's make it clear as you overthinking.

You will not be DMCA'ed by anyone else if the following condition isn't meet.

Are you making profit/getting money with this?

This is petty much RageMP, which as a mod, modifies the game, so it violates the ToS.
Also this server could be shut down because minors are here as well because it violates Rockstar ToS and GTAV ToS (No minors as its a +18 game)

But since its petty much a shit than dont worth wasting money in lawyers. Why bother?
Petty much any artist/company/whatever won't care about it unless you making money with their work.

But it's recommendable leaving a spoiler with the original work due it breaks some laws about credits, if you modify any copyrighted work, you must point the credits, since its a serious shit.

• 2 years later...