Credit original creators when claiming content as your own IC

Hugh-Gi-Oh

On Facebrowser, there's a bunch of singers, people who upload songs and say their character sang it. This is perfectly fine imo, and I'd not want these people to stop doing that. However, it's a bit less acceptable when there is no reference to the real original creator. In my opinion, they should post in brackets, ((Original creator is XYZ on Youtube)). I've seen people do this before and I think that's the best way to go about it.

Whether or not this is actually a problem is of course up to debate, because there's arguments to be made against it, such as characters IC being content stealers, that kinda stuff. Fair enough. But there are also cases wherein it's not debatable. 

Disclaimer: I have nothing against this person and I'm not trying to report them, I don't want to report them, I'm just using this as an example because it was the easiest to find. 

Facebrowser user Sada (https://face.gta.world/timeline&u=Sadas&ref=se) has been uploading songs and claims they are her own. What she's also doing, is putting these songs up for download on her website https://sadagtaw.wixsite.com/sada . This is illegal, and GTAW's name is on it, which might be problematic, I dunno, I'm not a lawyer. Either way, this is piracy. Distribution of the content that's not hers without any credit to the original creator. 

So, the suggestion is to implement a rule that prevents people from pirating other people's content. When claiming something someone else made as something your character made, at the very least just put in a little OOC credit thingy. People put real effort into these songs, it's common decency above everything else.

• Upvote 4
3 minutes ago, Hugh-Gi-Oh said:

This is illegal, and GTAW's name is on it, which might be problematic, I dunno, I'm not a lawyer. Either way, this is piracy

While it's not piracy, it's still violating the individuals copyright (plus I doubt they've put up any direct or indirect indication it's not their voice) , which can put GTAW in the firing line should a DMCA be submitted as they're required by law to comply with. Failure to credit the artist is still not acceptable at all, don't steal peoples work and play it off as your own, that's just sad and scummy. 

Edited by Mitch
  • Upvote 2
8 minutes ago, Mitch said:

While it's not piracy, it's still violating the individuals copyright (plus I doubt they've put up any direct or indirect indication it's not their voice) , which can put GTAW in the firing line should a DMCA be submitted as they're required by law to comply with. Failure to credit the artist is still not acceptable at all, don't steal peoples work and play it off as your own, that's just sad and scummy. 

Seems incorrect, what does Wix.com have to do with GTAW?

Just now, eTaylor said:

Seems incorrect, what does Wix.com have to do with GTAW?

The platform is directly advertised from a GTAW related platform, 

And the naming of the site doesn't exactly help it in this regard "https://sadagtaw.wixsite.com/sada"

13044e5ee9.png

User directly advertises the 3rd party site to her 'music' 

Just now, Mitch said:

The platform is directly advertised from a GTAW related platform, 

And the naming of the site doesn't exactly help it in this regard "https://sadagtaw.wixsite.com/sada"

13044e5ee9.png

User directly advertises the 3rd party site to her 'music' 

Facebrowser is a platform, not a publisher. That's like saying Facebook is liable for what it's users posts, which is ridiculous. I can create a website with the letters gtaw, doesn't mean it's in any way associated or related to GTA World as a legal entity. 

Just now, Hugh-Gi-Oh said:

Legal semantics aside, it's plainly not okay. They're distributing another person's content, without giving any credit to the original creator, even putting it up for download. 

Ethics =/= Legality. Curiously, who's music are they infringing? 

2 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

Facebrowser is a platform, not a publisher. That's like saying Facebook is liable for what it's users posts, which is ridiculous. I can create a website with the letters gtaw, doesn't mean it's in any way associated or related to GTA World as a legal entity. 

I'll conceed to your arguments, that's very very true, but still, the point still stands, distributing other peoples content without approval or even credits is straight up wrong, morally and legally. But that's up to the admins / moderators of FB to handle.