Los Santos Sheriff Department & County jail release

Just now, Caracosa said:

We're in an announcement thread and lots of people are discussing things. I apologize to Nervous and the County Sheriff's Department faction if I've stepped out of line.

But this is their faction thread:

LMFAO that's my bad-.. keep going.

1 hour ago, Caracosa said:

IMO there are already immersion/realism concerns, even for characters outside of jail.

There is a deep and cyclical relationship between the street life and incarcerated life. My understanding is that the culture and politics of Los Angeles Hispanic street gangs is influenced by boys/men entering the jail/prison system, where they are exposed to Sureno culture and the political heart of the Mexican Mafia. They bring all this back with them to the streets upon release. (Similar to non-gang members from Fresno turning into Bulldogs on the inside.) But Latinas are never exposed to that. This is one of many factors explaining why women can't climb the hierarchy in the same way: women are physically cut off from the prison gangs.

If we are to RP like co-ed county jail was always a thing, it retcons a lot of history and character development, and should probably shake up the sex/gender situation for many illegal factions. We no longer have real life sources to draw upon for inspiration/guidance.

For example, what about Hispanic female gang members/associates who have been in and out of the system ICly and RPed jail/prison sentences? What was their experience like? How does that change the culture and politics? How does that change the available roles, expectations, etc, etc?

And certainly my last year of RP would be different if my character was raised knowing she could be incarcerated with her brothers, homeboys, boyfriends, etc. It certainly retcons many conversations and scenes I've RPed.

Oh my, could you be any more dramatic? It retcons nothing the background stuff for your character could remain unchanged if you had some semblance of reasonableness. Should we cater the server to your background? I’m sorry but you could very easily adapt like everything else, if a coed prison is so detrimental to your existence then simply cite another facility that isn’t coed. 

I’d rather have coed jail where I can roleplay and enjoy my time than be stuck in the LSPD cells doing nothing for 7 real life days.

5 hours ago, Caracosa said:

There is a deep and cyclical relationship between the street life and incarcerated life. My understanding is that the culture and politics of Los Angeles Hispanic street gangs is influenced by boys/men entering the jail/prison system, where they are exposed to Sureno culture and the political heart of the Mexican Mafia. They bring all this back with them to the streets upon release. (Similar to non-gang members from Fresno turning into Bulldogs on the inside.) But Latinas are never exposed to that. This is one of many factors explaining why women can't climb the hierarchy in the same way: women are physically cut off from the prison gangs.

You're looking waaaaay too deeply into this. Take a step back and relax, this doesn't change the prison gang dynamic at all. The only reason females aren't being segregated on an OOC basis is because it'd be a waste of resources right now. Don't delve into the potential ramifications this would have on Sureno gang politics.

5 hours ago, Caracosa said:

For example, what about Hispanic female gang members/associates who have been in and out of the system ICly and RPed jail/prison sentences? What was their experience like? How does that change the culture and politics? How does that change the available roles, expectations, etc, etc?

And certainly my last year of RP would be different if my character was raised knowing she could be incarcerated with her brothers, homeboys, boyfriends, etc. It certainly retcons many conversations and scenes I've RPed.

None of that changes, nor is anyone forcing you to change any of that. Nothing is being retconned.

Leave this ambiguous. It's the same exact concept as you not dying every time you die in-game. It's the same thing as being able to ignore people committing murder, getting arrested, and come back some time later.

Edited by Bospy
2 hours ago, Bospy said:

You're looking waaaaay too deeply into this. Take a step back and relax, this doesn't change the prison gang dynamic at all. The only reason females aren't being segregated on an OOC basis is because it'd be a waste of resources right now. Don't delve into the potential ramifications this would have on Sureno gang politics.

Forgive me if I'm being super dumb here. I feel like I'm misunderstanding something really obvious. Because if female characters are RPing in the same physical space as male characters, that means female characters now fall under the influence of prison gangs. That changes things up with potential CK-level ramifications that wouldn't otherwise exist.

But I do appreciate the argument that the co-ed thing is a good way to bring more people together for RP.

And I also appreciate you taking the time to help me see this from a different angle.

57 minutes ago, Caracosa said:

Forgive me if I'm being super dumb here. I feel like I'm misunderstanding something really obvious. Because if female characters are RPing in the same physical space as male characters, that means female characters now fall under the influence of prison gangs. That changes things up with potential CK-level ramifications that wouldn't otherwise exist.

But I do appreciate the argument that the co-ed thing is a good way to bring more people together for RP.

And I also appreciate you taking the time to help me see this from a different angle.

Prison gangs will not attempt to recruit female characters. At least they shouldn't. This is how it was on LSRP and my understanding is that the factions are following the same basic ideas in most regards, hopefully including this one.

I'd be surprised if prison gangs even roleplay actively with female characters. Of course roleplay cannot be ignored but it's going to be more realistic for everyone if that roleplay is kept limited. I'm actually sort of looking forward to seeing some of the female gang-affiliated characters roleplaying as though they're in a women's facility (again, as occasionally occurred on LSRP). There are more female characters here and I'm sure it'd be an interesting avenue of roleplay for gang-affiliated women.