Los Santos Sheriff Department & County jail release

6 hours ago, Bospy said:

Don't roleplay it as being a coed jail. Treat it AMBIGUOUSLY. Do not acknowledge the nature of it being "coed." Nobody is forcing you to. Prison gangs do not need to acknowledge that females are on the yard, just as females don't need to acknowledge they're on a male-dominant yard.

To be honest this does screw up the immersion for me. Maybe I'm too neurotic for that myself but I wouldn't handle RPing a coed county as a male-only county. I'd suggest that if it is a coed jail, also make it a coed jail ICly... I can only see a lot of confusion coming from this.
Like just keep them in different cells and don't have them on the yard at the same time and I'm pretty sure we can make everyone happy IC-story wise by saying it's a government budget-cut or something.

Anyway, yes people, it's all "speculation"  but so is the fact that people think there will not be enough female RPers inside the county jail. Right now it's like you're trying to fix an issue you haven't experienced yet.

My main issue is still that I think people are waiting for a long term prison community. And even though your argument is pretty strong:

On 1/14/2020 at 6:18 PM, Bospy said:

Many long-term prisoners transition in and out of the county jail system in LA due to a court-ordered reorganization scheme after the federal government ruled against the CDCR in a lawsuit. A prison is not in the cards for right now, but a long-term prison-gang community is equally likely to form inside of the county jail on the basis of realism - LA county jail is filled to the brim with high-up gang-members who abuse the courts.

In fact, one could argue the LA county jail system is worse in some respects than CDCR prisons. I recommend players read up on some of the ACLU lawsuits.

Even though your right and long-term prisoners will be able to go there. I still believe that it's just not the same. County jail is mostly for people with short-term sentences (max 2-5 years) and people who got open/pending court cases. So it will consist of players who are normally RPing on the street and get caught and have to serve (....whatever the new sentences will be) before they get released again, so it's in and out and no such thing as an actual community will form. And yes there's gang prisoners who group up but barely prison gangs. The criminals you're aiming at with your argument is mostly: messengers from prison gangs, snitches, criminals avoiding being locked up with certain people in a correctional facility.

I believe there is people who wouldn't mind actually roleplaying (an alt-)character who serves long-term prison sentences. For example the la eMe faction. And white gangs who would like to form the AB.

In this case there will be an active community of consistent players.

I'm pretty sure it's unavoidable that this will be part of the server as well in the future and people just think the player count is too low for that right now. But me personally would rather see the focus go to that correctional facility than a county jail.

Anyway just expressing my personal thoughts, and am still excited for this project though so let's see how this goes and mostly good luck!

Edited by Triple-J

The prison gangs won't have any problems working out how to realistically roleplay county remand, it's already been sorted out. At least I know AB and Eme have.

Additionally, it really isn't difficult to ignore the co-ed issue and treat it ambiguously. An absolute tonne of issues need to be treated ambiguously with prison (/jail) roleplay. If you spent your time trying to figure out workable solutions for them all you would just lose it. We figured this out years ago.

Edited by Large Hazard
9 hours ago, Bospy said:

It's a jail, not a prison. And the mapping doesn't accommodate this idea. 

Don't really see the big difference and how the difference is relevant to this specific discussion.

9 hours ago, Bospy said:

It is equally unrealistic for us to have an ambiguously coed facility with segregated blocks as it is with a non-segregated facilities. Males and females do not end up in the same facilities in real life when they're awaiting trial in a municipality like Los Santos. It is equally unrealistic that we don't have a prison system. It is equally unrealistic that my character wasn't elected. It is equally unrealistic that the Sheriff's Department has not yet already existed. It is equally unrealistic that there's only 300 people in the big city of Los Santos. It is equally unrealistic that there's houses and properties that are shells, essentially part of a large ghost town that nobody interacts with. It is equally unrealistic that there's no wildlife.

My bad If I'm not really wording what I'm trying to get at in the right way, but my argument against it isn't really entirely based on it being unrealistic as this is obviously a game at the end of the day and realism should be broken in some areas to provide a better player experience. My concern here is that this will harm and take away from the experience, I understand that what we say here won't really change anything and that it's too far in development to change it up in order to cater to this issue. But still, I feel that this isn't a good solution to the problem and I hope that it is revised when up and running. 

The topic is in the announement section. Can an administrator step up and cut this back and forth discussion with feedback regarding the new jail system? 

This looks promising. I'm glad this is finally here. It's better than nothing or the current system we have where the LSPD cells are packed with too many people in them.

Good luck LSSD.

Looking forward to seeing the custody division in action and getting to RP with them. Also long sentences can be expected especially at a jail the size of something that takes inspiration from LASD county jail, where people would be waiting even longer due to being over capacity. I worked at a jail with a max capacity of 2,500 and I think we had a guy in my pod who was there on a murder charge who was still waiting for sentencing after 15 years, I can only imagine how long some jails process is when it's the size of LA.

On 1/13/2020 at 11:29 PM, Dumplings said:

seriously dont get why a sheriff department is taking on the role of department of corrections, it should be two separate factions - nonetheless it's nice to have a PRISON in the server finally..

What we are getting is a jail. Jail IRL are mostly ran by the Sheriffs aswell so that part does make sense.

I would have liked to see a prison over jail. But I'll take what I can get. 

Edited by Netsrac
Rewrote it, because I clearly can't spell while on my phone