The decision to not allow "Looking for work: ads.

Just now, eTaylor said:

If you're looking for a job do you post an advertisement that you're looking for one, or do you approach companies advertising that they're looking for employees? 

I'm gonna make this short because I think this is an entirely different topic.

Job offers (forum section) are mostly for mechanics and bartenders. I'm sure there are people out here who are not willing to stand behind a counter for hours. I also know for a fact that there are people who don't want to roleplay as mechanics too, Both jobs are exhausting and only certain people can be really good at them, hence why people who roleplay different characters might be seeking different jobs. If they're seeking different positions and have good ideas, they shouldn't be limited. Maybe someone will notice potential in them and hire them just for the roleplay and for the fun.

Talking about roleplay though... Well, yes, in real life you'd be looking for companies that look for workers, but because it's a game things are slightly different.

32 minutes ago, thot said:

I'm gonna make this short because I think this is an entirely different topic.

Job offers (forum section) are mostly for mechanics and bartenders. I'm sure there are people out here who are not willing to stand behind a counter for hours. I also know for a fact that there are people who don't want to roleplay as mechanics too, Both jobs are exhausting and only certain people can be really good at them, hence why people who roleplay different characters might be seeking different jobs. If they're seeking different positions and have good ideas, they shouldn't be limited. Maybe someone will notice potential in them and hire them just for the roleplay and for the fun.

Talking about roleplay though... Well, yes, in real life you'd be looking for companies that look for workers, but because it's a game things are slightly different.

What kind of work ads does your point apply to, because the only real reference point I have are ads like

[Advertisement] Young hot steamy teen new in town looking for work, maid and massage experience, willing to do ANYTHING! [ph: 6969]

1 hour ago, thot said:

Job offers (forum section) are mostly for mechanics and bartenders.

There is nothing limiting the section to just mechanics and bartenders. Anyone can post a job offer, no matter what the profession. I would believe that any decent company would post here looking for workers, because that's just how it would realistically be done. Honestly, a post should be made on the forums -before- they post it in-game. Then when they post it in-game, it can act as the in-game equivalent to their forum advertisement. Nothing limits people's RP by having to use the forums. It only enhances the business' efforts to provide a quality platform for people to RP finding a job, interviewing, etc.

In response to others @Paddy @Anselmi, looking for work ads would be located in the classifieds section of a newspaper or website. There are of course websites where you can post these classifieds for free or at low cost, so one could argue that angle of the expensive part for advertising. The problem is there's not really a defined "platform" on where these in-game ads are posted, so I don't think it's out of the ordinary to be able to post a legal, looking for work ad at this point in time until that is officially defined by GTAW.

GTAW Administration should define the in-game ad space as a newspaper or online advertising website first. If they want to start limiting how people post ads, through that angle, they could define what and what not to post (legal or illegal). If this is an online space that people are posting to, the cost wouldn't be that high. If the in-game advertising is a newspaper, that's different because that is expensive. I feel there is more OOC intervention than IC intervention here, that could easily be remedied. A channel could also be created through the in-character section to report ads that go against the IC advertising terms, so that people can be held accountable for what they post. That way there is still moderation, but with an IC motivation rather than OOC.

Edited by Scaramouche
  • Upvote 1
51 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

What kind of work ads does your point apply to, because the only real reference point I have are ads like

[Advertisement] Young hot steamy teen new in town looking for work, maid and massage experience, willing to do ANYTHING! [ph: 6969]

This example you provided is either a troll or someone being dumb. My point is people who might wanna do office work, cleaning, repairs, all kinda jobs, you know, I can go on all day thinking of job positions that aren't tending the bar or draining engine oil - these people should have a chance. I didn't say we should allow people to post anything like shown above and I've talked about this before.

41 minutes ago, Scaramouche said:

There is nothing limiting the section to just mechanics and bartenders. Anyone can post a job offer, no matter what the profession. I would believe that any decent company would post here looking for workers, because that's just how it would realistically be done.

I agree that there's nothing limiting, but it's what we get. I'm not gonna spend 50 bucks on platinum donator so I can have a successful business without any disadvantages so I can come up with ideas.

Edited by thot
5 hours ago, Anselmi said:

This sums it up pretty well.

All advertisements from reputable sources that you see in real life, be it the television, newspaper or the radio, are held to a strict standard. Someone, for example, trying to sell/buy weapons - absolutely would not be able to make an advert about it. It's immersion breaking and it shouldn't fall on the server's law enforcement to deal with it.

I'd argue that not allowing such ads promotes more roleplay than it does to allow them. For example, if you're looking for a job - as Paddy outlined - the odds are you probably don't have the money to splash out on an city-wide advertisement. There's more roleplay to be had by hitting the road and handing out resumes, inquiring about work in open businesses, stores, etc. Hell, there's even a social media website you could use - people use it all the time to express that they're looking for work. You just need to get creative about it.

I was unaware that the game advertisement was strictly "Radio, television, radio"..... Because if that was the case, we should do a massive AJAIL of anyone who has responded to an add by simply reading the chat box..... 

Also, the fact that you circumvent/ignore them having the money scriptly to post such a resume (When they obviously tangibly have it to use IG if they are able to post the ad) is also forcing RP on them, especially when we are discussing posting a damn advertise....

https://cleveland.craigslist.org/d/resumes/search/rrr - This link is the craigslist resume ad, just a placeholder for not having to hand deliver a resume.... And do you see the junk on here? Too bad the rules of GTAW doesn't apply on this listing... Because its real life, believe it or not..

Moving forward with the last topic.... If you do not want to recognize Billy Boredoms LFW post - Then why are you accepting car ads? If you don't Want to accept Johnny Juniors "22 year old construction laborer looking for work"... Then why are you accepting Vincent Rockford's ad selling a house?

My main point is this.. Their is plenty of Resume listing websites and content - Have I heard it on the radio? No.... But at the end of the day you are allowing everyone else to make a personal mess out of what is without a doubt related to the radio...….. It's clear cut favoritism to those with more time on the server... and it is completely opposite in thinking from what it should be....

Last thing I will say is.. I havn't found an assistant for my Abby Underwood RP. And someone probably never will have that chance simply because they are not allowed to solicit that fact.... Am I going to go on the forums and look? Nope... I don't do the "IC" on forums thing, as a lot of us don't.

Meanwhile.... If you want to sale a car or your big ole house you just renovated to flip a profit.. Well, we welcome you!

2 hours ago, Scaramouche said:

In response to others @Paddy @Anselmi, looking for work ads would be located in the classifieds section of a newspaper or website. There are of course websites where you can post these classifieds for free or at low cost, so one could argue that angle of the expensive part for advertising. The problem is there's not really a defined "platform" on where these in-game ads are posted, so I don't think it's out of the ordinary to be able to post a legal, looking for work ad at this point in time until that is officially defined by GTAW.

This is interesting and I do take your point on board, but by the same token I would argue that these types of classified ads would not be as far reaching as front-page news, radio or television — the mediums that typical community members associate with the premise of the ad system. To that end, I would still say that ads of this nature are not appropriate as it's far-reaching audience (literally everybody) is far too broad. The absence of a more appropriate medium IG is counteracted by this forum section where people do post looking for work. To disregard this and use the IG ad system is, at least by my interpretation, exploitation of the system.

6 hours ago, Anselmi said:

This sums it up pretty well.

All advertisements from reputable sources that you see in real life, be it the television, newspaper or the radio, are held to a strict standard. Someone, for example, trying to sell/buy weapons - absolutely would not be able to make an advert about it. It's immersion breaking and it shouldn't fall on the server's law enforcement to deal with it.

I'd argue that not allowing such ads promotes more roleplay than it does to allow them. For example, if you're looking for a job - as Paddy outlined - the odds are you probably don't have the money to splash out on an city-wide advertisement. There's more roleplay to be had by hitting the road and handing out resumes, inquiring about work in open businesses, stores, etc. Hell, there's even a social media website you could use - people use it all the time to express that they're looking for work. You just need to get creative about it.

What am I supposed to rp the /ads as? News paper advertisements? I mean there exist plenty of phone apps/websites where people can advertise for free which are usually loaded with simple "Looking for work" ads. Think of LinkedIn for example. Following the arguments the op has provided I don't see how it's wrong to use /ad for any kind of (legal) advertisement with a job request at all, considering they are symbolic for the different means of advertisement realistically available?

Edited by Raindance
3 hours ago, Raindance said:

What am I supposed to rp the /ads as? News paper advertisements? I mean there exist plenty of phone apps/websites where people can advertise for free which are usually loaded with simple "Looking for work" ads. Following the arguments the op has provided I don't see how it's wrong to use /ad for any kind of (legal) advertisement with a job request at all, considering they are symbolic for the different means of advertisement realistically available?

There has never been a set "standard" of what the in game ad's are supposed to represent.. As most of the content is not something you would find in a newspaper, or even on a radio.. We allow people to sell cars all day long, or their crazy expensive houses, like its some auto classifieds.... Oh, but DO NOT POST AN AD LOOKING FOR WORK..... There is absolutely no justification for it outside of the fact that they are simply tired of seeing people looking for a job (Consider it annoying) Or they are blanket banning people looking for work because of some bad apples.

Sure, don't want ERP advertisement ads? Then just say it.. but don't cut the throats of everyone who is simply looking a job....

If your going to make them go to the forums, then by god the rest should as well.. I'd rather look at a green wall of "I need a job, this is what I have to offer" then some dude spam his club twenty thousand times a night... or some guy who is just flipping a car to make profit...

Edited by Zane_Field

Actually.. I think the solution would to ad LFW to the the list of ad types.. /cad /ad /bad ---- How about /wad?

And all of these should be toggleable - Meaning... All of those business ads that I can care less about... I should be able to turn them off.... Don't want to see that kid looking for a job all day? /tog wad... simple.

And it keeps everything IN GAME. As it should be. Not on a forum.

Added to original post.

Edited by Zane_Field