Using lore buildings for non lore activities

zaXer.

49 minutes ago, Justitiae said:

I don't even know if this is possible just yet, but just a thought for anyone to consider or encourage. If it's really such a big deal, I'm sure exteriors of buildings could be modded/retextured to suit whatever brand you have in mind. Such an opportunity would be great, but whether it'd be put into action lies solely in Management's hands. It'd be nice to drift away from the GTA V lore in regards to businesses, I'm sure people want to see unique names, brands, etc. Anyway, that's just some food for thought. Personally, I'd love the modding team to be able to perfectly work on requests made by businesses owners if they wish the exterior of the building they own worked on.

I'm not saying that you shouldnt be able to have yoru own named shops, but I'm saying that some iconic GTA V places should not be changed too much (ex. Train Dinner turning into a rave shack; Cool Beans cafe turning into a club, etc). Obviously with blank non branded places you can do whatever yo uwant

17 minutes ago, zaXer. said:

I'm not saying that you shouldnt be able to have yoru own named shops, but I'm saying that some iconic GTA V places should not be changed too much (ex. Train Dinner turning into a rave shack; Cool Beans cafe turning into a club, etc). Obviously with blank non branded places you can do whatever yo uwant

Sure, but my point is, if for instance, they want to open up a simple club or bar, and Cool Beans has an exterior that's fitting or it appeals to them, then why not if it can be retextured/modded, of course. Things don't follow a set build model, so nothing can be unfitting our out of place if they're changed. At the moment, I can see why it might be a bit off being in an interior that looks like a club or bar, while the exterior isn't matching - but if it's all adapted and adjusted to the environment by using environmental mods then I don't see why not.

Edited by Justitiae
Just now, Justitiae said:

Sure, but my point is, if for instance, they want to open up a simple club or bar, and Cool Beans has an exterior that's fitting or it appeals to them, then why not if it can be retextured/modded, of course. Things don't follow a set build model, so nothing can be unfitting our out of place if they're changed. At the moment, I can see why it might be a bit off being in an interior that looks like a club or bar, while the exterior isn't matching - but if it's all adapted and adjusted to the environment by using environmental mods then I don't see why not.

My bothering started when Pipeline turned into a club. Pipeline is an iconic GTA V location, and all signs outside literally state that the place is a roadside diner/inn/bar place, not a nightclub. This really kills the immersion and just adds more fuel on top of the already huge issue with clubs popping everywhere. You see a "Jack's FIsh Restaurant" sign, enter and it's suddenly a nightclub?

Actually in a related note, there's some real-life places popping up that do just that. Like the "Convenience Store" in Manchester is actually a bar/nightclub. Have a gand: https://www.conveniencestorenq.com/ 

I suppose if it happens all the time then it could get confusing, plus if there's signage that clearly states it's a shop or whatever, I get it. Not sure about the modding capabilities on here if I'm honest, so that might be a solution. 

Just now, zaXer. said:

My bothering started when Pipeline turned into a club. Pipeline is an iconic GTA V location, and all signs outside literally state that the place is a roadside diner/inn/bar place, not a nightclub. This really kills the immersion and just adds more fuel on top of the already huge issue with clubs popping everywhere. You see a "Jack's FIsh Restaurant" sign, enter and it's suddenly a nightclub?

That's why I suggested it would be an excellent idea to have these 'signs' or anything that might indicate the type of place altered to suit the kind of business someone's running, but ultimately that's up to Management/Nervous, but overall it'd be better to have a modding team work on requests made by business owners if they want an exterior retextured or remodelled.

1 minute ago, Allegra said:

Actually in a related note, there's some real-life places popping up that do just that. Like the "Convenience Store" in Manchester is actually a bar/nightclub. Have a gand: https://www.conveniencestorenq.com/ 

I suppose if it happens all the time then it could get confusing, plus if there's signage that clearly states it's a shop or whatever, I get it. Not sure about the modding capabilities on here if I'm honest, so that might be a solution. 

With regards to modding it's certainly possible, the issue here though is whether it'd be something Nervous and his team are open to. Removing parts from an exteriors such as outdoor seating if it's not needed, and dealing with retextures shouldn't even be an issue - the size of altered files will always be small, and the more stuff removed from it the better.

12 minutes ago, Justitiae said:

With regards to modding it's certainly possible, the issue here though is whether it'd be something Nervous and his team are open to. Removing parts from an exteriors such as outdoor seating if it's not needed, and dealing with retextures shouldn't even be an issue - the size of altered files will always be small, and the more stuff removed from it the better.

The problem they might run into is that textures for chain locations such as Cool Beans might just be reused at multiple locations. I'm not sure how flexible map modding is to change that in a reasonable amount of time (as these sort of changes should be quick, due to the volume of businesses and how often they change hands). 

I personally feel like the GTA map doesn't match the dynamic the server builds, there aren't enough marked or sizable unmarked locations of certain types, and some business types don't exist at all. I'm willing to give plausible deniability for businesses as long as the exterior is moderately appropriate. 

I also don't consider Pipeline a iconic location, iconic locations to me are ones that have interiors designed for them in single player or Online or are visited to get missions from NPCs in the main quest line. That said, I wish there was more variety among businesses. 

Edited by Wisci
14 minutes ago, Wisci said:

The problem they might run into is that textures for chain locations such as Cool Beans might just be reused at multiple locations. I'm not sure how flexible map modding is to change that in a reasonable amount of time (as these sort of changes should be quick, due to the volume of businesses and how often they change hands). 

I personally feel like the GTA map doesn't match the dynamic the server builds, there aren't enough marked or sizable unmarked locations of certain types, and some business types don't exist at all. I'm willing to give plausible deniability for businesses as long as the exterior is moderately appropriate. 

I also don't consider Pipeline a iconic location, iconic locations to me are ones that have interiors designed for them in single player or Online or are visited to get missions from NPCs in the main quest line. That said, I wish there was more variety among businesses. 

I don't think that's the case, buildings in GTA/OpenIV are split up, so for instance if I edit/retexture/modify the exterior of one Cool Beans, it won't do the same for the other Cool Beans throughout the city.

Speaking as a member of the Property Management, I can say this. We try to monitor businesses and make sure that the exterior matches the purpose and interior of the property itself. There is also the option to report properties if you feel that they are unrealistic, and we'll take a look at them. 

That being said, I see nothing wrong with people using their own names for the businesses (After all, I ran a business that I named White Lion Tattoos for more than a year, yet the sign over my door said "Vespucci Tattoos", for example) and create their own thing, but it should be at least to some extent match the original purpose of the building.

Because there are only so many buildings of each type in the city itself, and if someone starts a club inside a property with signs that reads says "Jack's Fish Market", it also ruins other people's chance of making an actual fish market because that specific property is used for something completely different.

• Upvote 1