Carol! - Kyle & Chad - Home for Christmas Review

Robyn

image.thumb.png.fb62249ee9b8272bd5430f58cb619c47.pngimage.thumb.png.2e1ab60b459e68c694d534598a5640a4.png

Kyle & Chad Home for Christmas - The film that made me wish to see Cats again.

Before today I had nothing really positive to say about Tom Hopper's Cats. However, after seeing Vinewood Studio's newest release, I realised that in fact, Cats wasn't as bad as I remembered! Kyle & Chad - Home for Christmas has got a nonsensical plot and gags that would make Seth Rogan cover his face in shame. If you've got a chance to see this movie, don't. Save your money for something else.

The direction of the cast was questionable with lines sounding like they'd been ADRed in later and sounding stilted. There was little chemistry between the main two actors in the film and the side-cast of characters who range from 'Trucker angry his car got dented so he starts a snowball fight' to 'rednecks who are kidnapping people to reenact "Monkey Business" in their barn' with also a guest appearance by Aaron Huang who was the stand out in this even if it felt like it was a role where you had to see the previous film to I guess to be in on the joke that the film was bad? I haven't seen Monkey Business for clarification and I likely won't after this since a big portion of the film was centred around it and the star is now a sex-crazed, drug-taking, wild animal escaping star who gets off to almost causing a car crash (one of the few times I laughed.)

Now for the camera direction. The camera direction is absolutely abysmal. The camera would cut away even few seconds, rarely giving time to focus on what the character was saying, it'd often take weird angles such as in a bush by the side of the road which I guess could imply the later kidnapping even though it happens a good portion of the movie later? The shots when the car is driving were often completely unnecessary with it switching between several views of the car as it drives instead of either focusing on the dialogue or maintaining a cohesive place in the scene. The director could benefit from either watching more comedies to get an idea of where camera angles go (the Pineapple Express is a personal recommendation since this movie feels like it was inspired by that movie but didn't take the right lessons from it) or take a Masterclass or two, I hear Martin Scorcese has one out at the moment. 

By Carol

image.png.9b8130adec8582fde8f521ec7956f09f.png

This movie is a Cat-astrophe

• Upvote 1
  • Shvag locked this topic
  • Wuhtah unlocked this topic