Medical Roleplay / Hospital / Private Clinic

LqManik

Hi!

A little bit of background information on me: I come from LS:RP where I spent most of my time as a LSFD member roleplaying in the medical field - Emergency Doctor / Cardiologist.

A lot of the players wanted to NPC the whole emergency process because, let's be honest, they just wanted to play and couldn't be bothered waiting through dozens of lines of roleplay that were boring. However, there were others who enjoyed the living shit out of it, and went with it, roleplayed the recovery process, etc.

What I'm trying to say by this is that opinions were split, just like with any other topic. Later on, LSFD removed the Hospital side and focused on what the faction actually stands for, Fire Department. I can understand that, however, I was a little disapointed with this change.

When I started playing here, I was hoping to see a Hospital side from the LSFD faction on this server and again, I was a little disappointed when I saw there wasn't one. I know we're not trying to copy other servers, I fully understand this.

SO: Ever since I joined this community (which was 2-3 weeks ago), I had this idea of roleplaying as a doctor, maybe opening a private clinic, or just roleplaying at the hospital. I haven't really went through with it, nor have I brought this up with the staff, to see where they stand on this matter.

Which is why I come to you.

Bear in mind that I come here just to fish for ideas, maybe motivate people into pushing this further.

So obviously, having LSFD take care of the hospital side is wrong, since they're a Fire Department. Once they leave the patient at the emergency bay, their job is done, finished. I think we can all agree on this.

At this point, the patient would usually be taken care of by an NPC emergency doctor and sexy nurses etc.

So clearly, this side of roleplay is lacking, a lot. My idea was to change the LSFD into a faction that handles the health department in Los Santos.

Los Santos Health Care (or whatever). This faction would have both a Commissioner as well as a Dean of Medicine which would both answer to a Department within Los Santos Government. Again, this is much more complicated than it sounds, but with enough time and dedication, it could be done eventually.

Another idea would be to make a completely different Department, a Hospital faction.

OR, the easiest one, open up a private clinic, and make your own roleplay, running it as a business.

This comes from someone who loves medical roleplay. I would like to know how many of you actually think this is something that would be worth looking into more thoroughly and worth implementing at some point in the future.

Any other ideas / points to add?

This thread is a little messy, I am just laying out my thoughts as I go, so I apologize for that.

I'll stop blabbering now.

TL;DR

LSFD to become part of a bigger faction that also handles Hospitals? / Open private clinics? / Or simply roleplay as a doctor in a hospital?

Medical roleplay in general, worth it?

Edited by LqManik
Added TL;DR
  • Upvote 1

Hi again bud, hospitals were declined from the server/lsfd as it does not make sense right now to do. Whilst I know and understand your background as the person who trained you, its just not a state where it could be done yet. Priority still stands on FM working with the LSFD on its areas and introduction of a prison/SD and coroner faction. 

But one thing I know for sure is hospitals will never be part of the LSFD, as for the overall climate on the server its unsure if the demand is there by affected players.

The LSFD won't be expanding into providing hospital care or anything similar. This is something that was decided when it was created and it's not going to change. The current leadership of the LSFD don't want it and neither does Legal Faction Management. It's just not very realistic for a fire department to also have an entire hospital sector under its wing. 

Opening a separate faction would be the best way to approach this. Legal FM has always encouraged people to start smaller clinics at first rather than giving someone an entire hospital to run. If you can prove yourself on the smaller scale in a clinic, you may be trusted with a hospital at a later point. The best option here is to summarize your concept in a forum PM and send it to SpawnMatrix on the forums. He'll forward it to the rest of Legal FM for discussion which will be the first step in getting the clinic started. 

Once it gets approved by Legal FM, Property Management will be more willing to give you a building to operate as a clinic. From there it's on you to make it prosper.

Hi Mecovy! Nice to see you here!

LSFD is a Fire Department, so I understand why it wouldn't be realistic for it to be in charge of Hospitals, which is why I was thinking of a Health Department that handles both LSFD as well as Hospitals.

The thing with opening a clinic is that you have patients who can become regular. One would need a database, protocols, RP tutorials for new staff, basically a forum. It takes a lot of time and effort, which is why everyone shies away from this idea, including me.

That is why I brought this up. I feel a lot of nostalgia from when I used to do open heart surgeries - I would watch youtube videos of surgeries, learn the names of the medical ustensils, read through entire procedures to enrich the roleplay for people who wanted such a character development. It is worth mentioning that only a few were willing to go through 1 or 2 hours of constant medical roleplay, can't deny that, but it offered a lot of opportunities for players.

It's too bad that FM decided it wasn't a good idea to work on implementing such a faction, although I do understand where they are coming from.

Hey there,

I think this is a pretty great idea in all honesty. I was in the LSFD on LSRP before they removed the hospital sector and I then opened up a clinic on the server as well for the sake of RP.  I've been looking for that type of roleplay on GTAW but haven't seen it as of yet, and wasn't sure if many others would be interested in working/running a clinic along with me. I also have another individual who used to help run the LSFD along with my clinic on LSRP who recently just came to GTAW and we were actually considering attempting to open up a clinic, but we were worried about lack of interest.  

If you wanted to talk about it and discuss it further feel free to let me know, this is a great idea and I'd be more then happy to be involved in it ?

29 minutes ago, Radiant said:

Hey there,

I think this is a pretty great idea in all honesty. I was in the LSFD on LSRP before they removed the hospital sector and I then opened up a clinic on the server as well for the sake of RP.  I've been looking for that type of roleplay on GTAW but haven't seen it as of yet, and wasn't sure if many others would be interested in working/running a clinic along with me. I also have another individual who used to help run the LSFD along with my clinic on LSRP who recently just came to GTAW and we were actually considering attempting to open up a clinic, but we were worried about lack of interest.  

If you wanted to talk about it and discuss it further feel free to let me know, this is a great idea and I'd be more then happy to be involved in it ?

You should reach out to @SpawnMatrix as they are in charge of legal factions. This if definitely something we need on the server, even if it starts as only a clinic. 

It's great to see some people from LSRP's FD here - I was involved in FD leadership and in charge of the Hospital sector for quite a few years and, consequently, have come to enjoy medical RP; I've also just joined GTAW recently. As Radiant said, she and I are looking to start up a medical clinic, but are in the very beginning stages of the process.

I agree with you that the LSFD should not be in charge of a hospital sector sort of thing - the system does not even begin to reflect real life. Though, as much as I love RPing in a hospital setting, it'll take time to build up to that; it'd be better to start off, in my opinion, in a smaller office and get a feel for how others feel about hospital RP in general. The hospitals around seem to have quite basic interiors (the morgue by far is the most detailed) but they don't seem to cater to an ability to roleplay in an operating room or anything of the like. I would love to eventually be able to RP in hospitals and with operations, but we need to build up to that.

Starting up a Department within the LS Government adds unnecessary layers of bureaucracy, I think at least. We should have autonomy in our medical pursuits because it caters to (I assume) such a small population on the server.

I've been around for almost a year and a half, and the biggest question I have when reading these topics is this.. Does the community ever have a voice in swaying decisions like this? If so, where do these discussions occur? 

I noticed @Mecovy state that it was discussed and denied, but no real reasoning given for why who ever made the decision ultimately said no?

I was recently involved in a "sexual assault" RP, with myself being the victim... the RP could have ended with me simply being dropped off at the hospital door step and being forced to essentially PG what the doctor would have obtained in terms of evidence. 

Instead, the officer switched rolls and proceeded to RP the doctor performing the rape kit and taking in all the details. 

It could have very well been someone like the OP instead of some cop winging it... And the cost to allow players to enter a hospital and RP as vetted physicians is little to nothing.. Am I wrong?

MY POINT? What is stopping FM from taking a look at posts like these, seeing someone who was "trained" by a former administrator, showing an interest In a feature we obviously lack, and having a sit down with them to discuss making it a reality?

What harm can be done by giving a few tools to a person so that may potentially succeed within an area of RP that not only fills a needed gap, but heightens the experience for all?

If it succeeds it succeeds, if it fails it fails... What do we lose either way? A few admin commands to dissolve the effort?

And yeah, I know we can't provide resources to everyone who has an idea... but allowing a doctor to RP at a hospital, and maybe providing them with some tools to communicate with incoming patients via FD or what ever it may be.... Sounds like a small investment with potentially big payoffs if it makes a difference for at least a handful of players headed to the hospital..

Just my two cents.

Edited by Zane_Field
  • Upvote 1
27 minutes ago, Zane_Field said:

I've been around for almost a year and a half, and the biggest question I have when reading these topics is this.. Does the community ever have a voice in swaying decisions like this? If so, where do these discussions occur? 

I noticed @Mecovy state that it was discussed and denied, but no real reasoning given for why who ever made the decision ultimately said no?

I was recently involved in a "sexual assault" RP, with myself being the victim... the RP could have ended with me simply being dropped off at the hospital door step and being forced to essentially PG what the doctor would have obtained in terms of evidence. 

Instead, the officer switched rolls and proceeded to RP the doctor performing the rape kit and taking in all the details. 

It could have very well been someone like the OP instead of some cop winging it... And the cost to allow players to enter a hospital and RP as vetted physicians is little to nothing.. Am I wrong?

MY POINT? What is stopping FM from taking a look at posts like these, seeing someone who was "trained" by a former administrator, showing an interest In a feature we obviously lack, and having a sit down with them to discuss making it a reality?

What harm can be done by giving a few tools to a person so that may potentially succeed within an area of RP that not only fills a needed gap, but heightens the experience for all?

If it succeeds it succeeds, if it fails it fails... What do we lose either way? A few admin commands to dissolve the effort?

And yeah, I know we can't provide resources to everyone who has an idea... but allowing a doctor to RP at a hospital, and maybe providing them with some tools to communicate with incoming patients via FD or what ever it may be.... Sounds like a small investment with potentially big payoffs if it makes a difference for at least a handful of players headed to the hospital..

Just my two cents.

The only thing stopping this being a thing is motivated players creating and running it. It was said that the LSFD would not do this in the past but since that point there has not been enough interest by a group of players to create a medical centre with the only thing I remember a player creating being a pharmacy. I'd love to see a hospital/medical centre created on GTAW because as you have said it adds massive amounts of story and immersion.

1 hour ago, Zane_Field said:

Just my two cents.

The biggest issue is that not everyone is interested in medical roleplay. A lot of people like the hands on EMT/Firefighter role.  Not everyone is comfortable with a lot of the roleplay that comes together with the aspect of RPing a medical doctor. Which is the sad part. You have to be really interested in that roleplay in order for it to be enjoyable not only for you but for the patient/individual you are roleplaying with.  Which is why Ryan and I have discussed what we previously did when we played on LSRP and are going to work towards getting a medical clinic set up, which will hopefully get other players interested in that type of roleplay so we can provide that to the server.   

As Ryan and everyone else said, it wouldn't be good to add it to the LSFD and in my opinion it would probably just cause chaos. And unneeded OOC but IC drama involving who has the say in that aspect of the roleplay.  This way it's easier for everyone.