'Gang Talk' Bleed off into /me and OOC

Edelweiss206

I think I should make it clear at the beginning that roleplay is entirely preference-based and is to suit the roleplayer, no one is obligated to roleplay the way YOU would roleplay, in fact, everyone roleplays differently and I think we all should just accept that and move on - you cannot, by any means force someone to roleplay the way you do, they do it to their liking and how they think they should portray a character. Mind me reiterating that there are no set rules on how you should roleplay. I'll use myself for an example; When I'm roleplaying I'm trying to tell my character's story in as much detail as possible, is it necessary, no, do want to do it, yes. So why are you letting other people's preferences annoy you?

When I'm talking I will usually do something along the lines of: "Hey, how are you? *She'd smile*" - it's not necessary in my eyes to do a short /me when it can be incorporated in my text, given its roleplay but I think, PERSONALLY, that it's slouchy and it's not my type of roleplay - I'm one for detail and I, on most occasions go in as much depth and detail as possible.

I personally don't roleplay like this and It's not an attack on those who do, this is just my pure idea of RP alone.

/me smiles

Hi!

/me looks at XXX

How are you?

/me smiles again

What's the point in one-liners when you have 250 words you could write, this leaves an open door for creativity, let your mind run wild. Doing /me smiles is probably the most common argument people will set for roleplay, but what's the difference if you do /me smiles instead of "Hi *She'd smile* - It's cleaner in my opinion.

When you can simply turn that into more concise sentences, now, I'm not attacking anyone who roleplays like that as I'm a firm believer that roleplay is entirely (as aforementioned) based upon the roleplayers comfort, I don't roleplay like that as it's not where I'm comfortable and some people like that and that's fine - I'm not going to object to someone roleplaying differently to how I do because I can assure you that you will learn a thing or two from others styles. From countless people I've roleplayed with, I can happily say I've learnt a fair bit about my own roleplay, and if you're objecting to roleplay, in which someone is providing for you, why are you complaining? They are not obligated nor is it compulsory to engage with any roleplay with anyone - but you need to keep in mind that it's not for you to say how someone should act or speak, it's up to them.

Roleplaying speech is another thing if you're going to incorporate speech into /me's why are you letting it bother you? Like, at all? Someone is expressing their character in a /me, yes I'm fully aware that /me is for actions but sometimes it's necessary that the text is in there to provide context. I think we need to become more diverse when it comes to different styles of roleplay and we need to grasp that not everyone is going to be the same as one another and simply embrace the fact that the person roleplaying is:

1. Comfortable roleplaying how they are
  2. Providing the roleplay (not by any means are they obliged to)
  3. Willing to learn from others

I can, from experience say that I've learnt a fair bit, be it vocabulary or a different style of roleplay from those around me and with someone putting speech in their /me's so be it, they're happy and at the end of the day this is a game, it's not meant for people to tell people off, it's not meant for those to feel uncomfortable nor unhappy - just roleplay how you wish.

• Upvote 2

Slang is okay, but letting it influence your grammatical punctuation and capacity to put together coherent sentences in /me's should be forbidden. You should adhere to the syntax of the language, otherwise you are mixing IC with OOC. /Me's exist to give other players around you an indicator of your character's action, thus it should be clear and concise and not filled with pidgin English.  You are not suited for roleplay if you are incapable of keeping the two separate. 

Yeah, my original question was slang being used in /me's, not about talking in /me's if it came out that way. Personally for the latter having a conversation partially in /me's is fine. But Selena covered that. People do actions whole talking, they don't immediately drop their actions,l and go robotic, I can understand the aversion to it a little, but not the almost vehement hate towards it. But I'm used to DnD and other games where it's completely acceptable to do that and even encouraged. 

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Selena said:

I think I should make it clear at the beginning that roleplay is entirely preference-based and is to suit the roleplayer, no one is obligated to roleplay the way YOU would roleplay, in fact, everyone roleplays differently and I think we all should just accept that and move on - you cannot, by any means force someone to roleplay the way you do, they do it to their liking and how they think they should portray a character. Mind me reiterating that there are no set rules on how you should roleplay. I'll use myself for an example; When I'm roleplaying I'm trying to tell my character's story in as much detail as possible, is it necessary, no, do want to do it, yes. So why are you letting other people's preferences annoy you?

When I'm talking I will usually do something along the lines of: "Hey, how are you? *She'd smile*" - it's not necessary in my eyes to do a short /me when it can be incorporated in my text, given its roleplay but I think, PERSONALLY, that it's slouchy and it's not my type of roleplay - I'm one for detail and I, on most occasions go in as much depth and detail as possible.

I personally don't roleplay like this and It's not an attack on those who do, this is just my pure idea of RP alone.

/me smiles

Hi!

/me looks at XXX

How are you?

/me smiles again

What's the point in one-liners when you have 250 words you could write, this leaves an open door for creativity, let your mind run wild. Doing /me smiles is probably the most common argument people will set for roleplay, but what's the difference if you do /me smiles instead of "Hi *She'd smile* - It's cleaner in my opinion.

When you can simply turn that into more concise sentences, now, I'm not attacking anyone who roleplays like that as I'm a firm believer that roleplay is entirely (as aforementioned) based upon the roleplayers comfort, I don't roleplay like that as it's not where I'm comfortable and some people like that and that's fine - I'm not going to object to someone roleplaying differently to how I do because I can assure you that you will learn a thing or two from others styles. From countless people I've roleplayed with, I can happily say I've learnt a fair bit about my own roleplay, and if you're objecting to roleplay, in which someone is providing for you, why are you complaining? They are not obligated nor is it compulsory to engage with any roleplay with anyone - but you need to keep in mind that it's not for you to say how someone should act or speak, it's up to them.

Roleplaying speech is another thing if you're going to incorporate speech into /me's why are you letting it bother you? Like, at all? Someone is expressing their character in a /me, yes I'm fully aware that /me is for actions but sometimes it's necessary that the text is in there to provide context. I think we need to become more diverse when it comes to different styles of roleplay and we need to grasp that not everyone is going to be the same as one another and simply embrace the fact that the person roleplaying is:

1. Comfortable roleplaying how they are
  2. Providing the roleplay (not by any means are they obliged to)
  3. Willing to learn from others

I can, from experience say that I've learnt a fair bit, be it vocabulary or a different style of roleplay from those around me and with someone putting speech in their /me's so be it, they're happy and at the end of the day this is a game, it's not meant for people to tell people off, it's not meant for those to feel uncomfortable nor unhappy - just roleplay how you wish.

I agree with everything you said here except, the whole 250 words thing. I agree that people need to be more productive with their /me's but, I also don't want people to write a whole /me line of almost 250 words. I've came across people that took minutes to write a /me line when it could be done with a easy one liner. To me, it just takes the flow of the RP away when you take ages to write something up. You don't have to be fast with your replies (Even though It would benefit you more and it'll make your character look alive and well. But then again, not everyone is a fast typer.) But, put a little more effort in your /me's.

Edited by Old World Blues
  • Upvote 1
16 hours ago, Pillowy said:

Okay, but when I asked why, I was mostly referring to why there's such strong feelings against it. Is it because it just irritates you to read in that format? Is it because /me and generic chat have different colors in GTAW, making it easier to distinguish in a crowded room? Etc. I'm just curious, as I don't particularly believe someone's ability to roleplay is defined by how they decide to structure their actions and speech. 

I use /highlight when I'm in a crowded place. I have nothing against using slang in your RP, I do it with close friends to give it a funny twist, to make it a bit more interesting. However, when people roleplay doing an action, e.g stepping out of the car and waving with their hands, some people incorporate their speech into the /me. E.g /me steps out of the car using his right foot first, whilst waving towards John and saying "Hi". 

I don't get the logic of why you would need to mix actual IC chat with your IC actions. Is it easier? Only if you're lazy, though it's just as easy to use the actual function to say Hi.

Does it bother me? Not really, does it pinch my eyes when I have to snap out of my interaction with others? Yeah.

Will I say something about it when I'm playing with them or after? Nah, it's a form of respect and leaving people with their dignity.

Edited by Deuce
7 minutes ago, Deuce said:

I use /highlight when I'm in a crowded place. I have nothing against using slang in your RP, I do it with close friends to give it a funny twist, to make it a bit more interesting. However, when people roleplay doing an action, e.g stepping out of the car and waving with their hands, some people incorporate their speech into the /me. E.g /me steps out of the car using his right foot first, whilst waving towards John and saying "Hi". 

I don't get the logic of why you would need to mix actual IC chat with your IC actions. Is it easier? Only if you're lazy, though it's just as easy to use the actual function to say Hi.

Does it bother me? Not really, does it pinch my eyes when I have to snap out of my interaction with others? Yeah.

You mix IC chat with your IC actions when you're doing both, just like walking and talking. Doing a gesture while talking, It's easier to do something like: /me walks alongside John, he wafts his hand about, saying. "I wish we had some snow around here." It doesn't mean you've to do it after every /me. You can do it occasionally. I mean, in real life you also walk + talk, right? Or do something while talking? This is basicly the same thing.

16 hours ago, Pillowy said:

Okay, but when I asked why, I was mostly referring to why there's such strong feelings against it. Is it because it just irritates you to read in that format? Is it because /me and generic chat have different colors in GTAW, making it easier to distinguish in a crowded room? Etc. I'm just curious, as I don't particularly believe someone's ability to roleplay is defined by how they decide to structure their actions and speech. 

As somebody has spent a good year and a halfish on this server and several years in completely different mediums of roleplay, I genuinely think it's mostly just a cultural/preference thing. On Space Station 13 or Secondlife, adding speech into quotes is perfectly acceptable and perfectly normal. Here, people don't really like it. It comes down to what you're used to, what you've learned to do, and what the general standard is in the particular medium of RP. Personally, I don't really mind either way, so I just conform to the standard 'culture', but yeah-- I don't know if there's a good logical argument to be made about which method is better. It's just preference.

15 hours ago, varrio bangin said:

I don't mind people going "/me hops out with the toolie" or anything like that. Someone calling a pistol a "blick" or anything of the sort in a /me is so minimal. Of course you'd get some people butthurt after they just got domed by a guy calling his rifle a Llama, so eh. You got people who RP their weaponry as very specific models from IRL, and you got some people who call it the most simplistic shit. It is what it is. Out of all things to worry about, someone calling a pistol something other than it's actual preferred name should be the least of someone's worries. 

People putting actual dialogue in /me's is a bit weird, seeing as you could just normally type it out without quotations after said action in /me. I've never done it, but I know a lot of people who do. It doesn't ruin the experience whatsoever, I think people are just being overly dramatic or simply just nitpicking. 

OMG bro! It Ruining my Imersion!!!

• Applaud 2
5 hours ago, Max3 said:

I guess it’s kinda the same as when someone says something flexing their gang affiliation irl like “bro i’m a blood ooc ik how it works”. it’s not a big deal it’s just annoying.

Imagine being proud about that, lol. I hope this is a meme and not a genuine thing happening.