'Gang Talk' Bleed off into /me and OOC

Edelweiss206

13 minutes ago, Pillowy said:

As someone who's ever only seen this kind of reaction in GTA RP, I'm just curious - why?

I must say that that I agree with that. We have /me /do and simply normal speech for a reason, mixing them snaps me out of my immersion for some reason and generally feels so wrong to me.

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Benny Black said:

I mean I kind of like it and I kind of don't. I get a chuckle out of someone doing "/me hops out of the hooptie and claps up the opposition with the toolie." At the same time, I can see how it'd be immersion breaking. I also don't think it's a big deal tbh.

Oh, that part I am not against at all, what I am against is people using speech in their /me's. for example /me walks up to Benny, "How are you doing, ole' chap?" - That gets me.

13 hours ago, Pillowy said:

As someone who's ever only seen this kind of reaction in GTA RP, I'm just curious - why?

Why would you /me what you're saying. You have an IC chat for a reason, it's just like: Hey *smiles* how are you? 

It's the same thing, you have /me for roleplay actions.

Where I come from, and many others, you would get sent back to app stage if you would to that, mixing up your RP between chats.

10 hours ago, Deuce said:

Why would you /me what you're saying. You have an IC chat for a reason, it's just like: Hey *smiles* how are you? 

It's the same thing, you have /me for roleplay actions.

Where I come from, and many others, you would get sent back to app stage if you would to that, mixing up your RP between chats.

Okay, but when I asked why, I was mostly referring to why there's such strong feelings against it. Is it because it just irritates you to read in that format? Is it because /me and generic chat have different colors in GTAW, making it easier to distinguish in a crowded room? Etc. I'm just curious, as I don't particularly believe someone's ability to roleplay is defined by how they decide to structure their actions and speech. 

1 hour ago, Pillowy said:

Okay, but when I asked why, I was mostly referring to why there's such strong feelings against it. Is it because it just irritates you to read in that format? Is it because /me and generic chat have different colors in GTAW, making it easier to distinguish in a crowded room? Etc. I'm just curious, as I don't particularly believe someone's ability to roleplay is defined by how they decide to structure their actions and speech. 

Well, in my opinion, it makes me have to snap out of the RP, because I have to consider the speech is in the action instead of speaking normally, and because of that it is immersion breaking for me, but I might just be easily distracted by it, but yes, I'd personally say the structure of it distracts me.

I don't mind people going "/me hops out with the toolie" or anything like that. Someone calling a pistol a "blick" or anything of the sort in a /me is so minimal. Of course you'd get some people butthurt after they just got domed by a guy calling his rifle a Llama, so eh. You got people who RP their weaponry as very specific models from IRL, and you got some people who call it the most simplistic shit. It is what it is. Out of all things to worry about, someone calling a pistol something other than it's actual preferred name should be the least of someone's worries. 

People putting actual dialogue in /me's is a bit weird, seeing as you could just normally type it out without quotations after said action in /me. I've never done it, but I know a lot of people who do. It doesn't ruin the experience whatsoever, I think people are just being overly dramatic or simply just nitpicking. 

• Applaud 1

back in the days when I started role-playing, I tried to join this gang but I couldn't because they used slangs in /b, /pms, /mes, everywhere. It's a bit annoying when they're talking like that, especially in /mes and /b because, sometimes, you can't understand them lol.

I guess it comes with being part of gangs, dunno.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, SOCRATES said:

back in the days when I started role-playing, I tried to join this gang but I couldn't because they used slangs in /b, /pms, /mes, everywhere. It's a bit annoying when they're talking like that, especially in /mes and /b because, sometimes, you can't understand them lol.

I guess it comes with being part of gangs, dunno.

No, that's them going too deep into their character.