Criminal Role Play

borhoi

My take on it.
I've only been RPing since 2-3 weeks here after taking a break for a few months so I can't speak on that much, however I do think some things are a bit exaggerated in this thread. Because in the 2-3 weeks I play again, I haven't encountered that much flaws within criminal RP.

Honestly I just think people need to understand to
- Accept losses. Yes sometimes it's no fun but it can create very interesting stories.
- Give the server time because it's still in such a growing / new phase even though it has been around. Main features like for example the corpse feature are still being developed and being tested. Features such as these play a huge roll into improving criminal roleplay. Yes it's implemented, but until the server is very stable or bodies aren't removed till crashes, it basicly has to wait to live up to it's full potential.
- Cut each other some slack. Nobody is perfect. I've read some things in this topic that I can recognise myself in such as not being up to date to 2020 criminal slang/ gang portraying. Using too much apostrophes. Ay gimme a break it's been 7 years that I roleplay the only criminals I know off are the people I see in my city. We're all just learning here and I'm pretty sure there's no real murders in this server. I'm glad it's been said tho, as I said, I can recognise myself and will try to get up to date faster.

Drugs system
Now the main thing that bothers me the most for criminal roleplay is the fact that drugs just don't work in this server. Now scriptwise it's a pretty great system, but roleplay wise it just doesn't work as there's too little demand from players. IRL drugs is probably the number one reason for most criminal cases. There is a drug market IRL because there is demand. IG .. There just isn't. People only want to use cocaïne before a shoot out so they have more HP.

I hope we can encourage each other to create alts for drug (ab)users. However I'm not even certain if it's allowed as you could create your own money cycle. So I suggest to add a rule that you're not allowed to play a drug abuser near your main faction as it would be like transferring money from your alt to your main.

Other few flaws in the drugs system
As far as I'm aware of Lean is not even in the server even though I've been seeing lean as the most used drug in roleplay in this server. Popular drugs such as xanax and lean should be buyable. Correct me if I'm wrong and this is already implemented, I just haven't seen them as items but I see plenty of people using them in /me's.

Stolen Items / Pawn shops
Currently writing a suggestion on how to make robberies more fun. Because right now it's mostly stealing money, pretty much hoping the person has a weapon and sometimes a Phone and hoping to resell it, which is quite hard since a lot of people own one already.

Right now clothing is an all in 1 package for 100 $ which in my opnion is just way too cheap, seeing how much we earn when we're new to the server. I'm hoping that at least jewellery can be split off and becomes an item on it's own. This way stealing chains and watches becomes a thing and pawnshops become more useful.

Both systems would contribute to players being less bored and make criminal roleplay more interesting in my opinion.

Edited by Triple-J

Legal role-players need to understand illegal role-players usually have a harder grind than most. It's become common sense in modern role-play to cut corners and create scripts, regulations and entice into the mindset that there's got to be fairness between illegal and legal role-play whatsoever.

This is one of the communities (if not the only one) where civilian and otherwise small time crime roleplay trumps as opposed to others thus specific aspects to allow illegal roleplayers from all across the board to have fair and meaningful encounters. You're not the bigger guy if you talk people down. You're not it if you keep trying to play server police instead of creating quality role-playing and giving so one can feed off of what you're doing and move on to do the same thing for someone else and keep this up.

The sooner players like OP understand aspects like fairness, the better. There's placeholders regarding the scripts because taking lockpicks for literally being lockpicks is just being silly. Any car worth its money that has anti-theft is pretty much bulletproof to thieves. The fact that the script isn't so evolved to let people operate drones and remote controlled cars is done in the spirit of OOC fairness and game limitations — the same way we accept a Coil Raiden (electric car) paying taxes and insurance and the same way we accept an Elegy Retro (a car from 1989 which is worth smack dab ~$15k to $20K and it's usually a piece of junk despite JDM fanboys) as something worth as much as $300,000 and a monthly $40,000 insurance because of what it can do in game and how powerful (and of course unfair) it can be to the owner. Checks and balances.

Deal is most players need to understand they're here to role-play characters. Role-play a character and create and tell its story your way for as long as you keep aspects like realism, server rules and all too known role-playing aspects in mind. Make factions, groups, business, et-cetera the hub of your role-play. However most players do it the other way around and that's why the quality of role-play all around's not where it could be. And if you're doing it any other way, you're doing it wrong.

Edited by liq

In regards to those that speak in slang or a rough accent, people need to remember that Los Angeles is a very over-populated region that consists of immigrants from numerous regions of the world, whether as legal citizens, defectors/asylum seekers.  legal migrant workers, or illegal migrant workers. On top of that, each person possesses a different level of education, income, personality etc... Thus, these entities will more than likely converse in a dialect or accent that is unfamiliar or misunderstood by people within the city. This even applies to gang culture, as the majority of individuals converse in a dialect that is incomprehensible to the average legal citizen within the city.

If a person speaks in slang or with a harsh accent, then they're portraying their character in accordance with their conditions. I've rarely encountered any gang-bangers, in my time, speaking perfect Oxford or Americanized-English... Neither do they pronounce their words identical to how English is written. Thus, if one decides to emphasize on language, which is pretty important on a text-based server, then it should be their decision as their character meets those conditions.

I literally had a person PM me stating "Speak fluent English" while roleplaying as a first-generation Jamaican migrant that was raised in Jamaica for over thirty years... seriously? That's unrealistic.

How many of you are Compton gang bangers capable of claiming that "Gang bangers in 2019 don't speak in slang or dialects"? It's a ridiculous claim... gang-bangers and gang members aren't always with the time. They aren't speaking in perfect English. People shouldn't be condemned for portraying that. If a character doesn't understand a word or sentence in I.C.? Then, ask in I.C... Just like in real life.

Edited by DLimit

For as long as you write it grammatically correct so one can at least understand, it's fine. This is mostly nitpicking but the majority of the server's population either aren't entirely fluent English writers as a whole and there's lapses, or it's not their first language. I know what you're saying and it's cool. What's not cool is when one purposely writes like that without embedding the accent in a character or a concept, and those are usually trolls.

3 minutes ago, liq said:

For as long as you write it grammatically correct so one can at least understand, it's fine. This is mostly nitpicking but the majority of the server's population either aren't entirely fluent English writers as a whole and there's lapses, or it's not their first language. I know what you're saying and it's cool. What's not cool is when one purposely writes like that without embedding the accent in a character or a concept, and those are usually trolls.

I mean, if a person truthfully struggles with comprehending my character, they often ask in O.O.C. I'd state something along the lines of "My character had asked 'How are you?'. If your character doesn't understand the harsh Caribbean dialect, then ask in I.C." while also noting that I'm willing to provide the player with O.O.C. explanations of words and phrases in a non-metagaming manner.

10 hours ago, DLimit said:

I mean, if a person truthfully struggles with comprehending my character, they often ask in O.O.C. I'd state something along the lines of "My character had asked 'How are you?'. If your character doesn't understand the harsh Caribbean dialect, then ask in I.C." while also noting that I'm willing to provide the player with O.O.C. explanations of words and phrases in a non-metagaming manner.

it's not the terms or vernacular you use, it's the absolute spam of apostrophes. Seriously, stop using that many apostrophes.

image.png.f8b4e2983cf1c5adfd82ce0e26b79cf2.png

I've seen countless people using " chea' " or even shortening "nigga" to some degree, using apostrophes. It looks REAL bad.

Edited by DeadPlaya
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, DeadPlaya said:

it's not the terms or vernacular you use, it's the absolute spam of apostrophes. Seriously, stop using that many apostrophes.

I've seen countless people using " chea' " or even shortening "nigga" to some degree, using apostrophes. It looks REAL bad.

image.png

spot on 

19 minutes ago, DeadPlaya said:

Please. There’s times where it would make sense but to force yourself to use an apostrophe literally every other word that is uttered is pretty goofy.

What's the fine line between being grammatically correct and writing improper, then? It is grammatically correct to apply apostrophes whenever a word is shortened. I.E. "Wah yuh sayin'"... Since the G is absent, it is grammatically correct to apply an apostrophe on to the word.

"Meh nah talk 'dem tings, bredrin."