remove the silly ooc restriction on who gets to use the second amendment

maramizo

14 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

Quote the relevant parts. Not reading the whole thing.

The following people are generally prohibited from acquiring or possessing a gun in California:

1. felons (that is, anyone convicted of any felony offense in any jurisdiction),5
  2. persons who are addicted to narcotics,6
  3. persons with two (2) or more convictions under Penal Code 417, California's law against brandishing a weapon,7
  4. persons convicted of certain misdemeanor offenses (such as a violation of Penal Code 273.5),8
  5. persons who suffer from mental illness (people placed on two involuntary psychiatric holds in a year get a lifetime gun ban),9 and
  6. people under 18 (people under 21 may not purchase a gun).10

Penal Code 29810 requires that people convicted of the requisite crimes must relinquish their firearms to authorities. 

If you are prohibited from owning a gun, you are also prohibited from owning ammunition.11

Anyone else may possess a firearm or ammunition (other than armor piercing ammunition).12 However, in order to purchase a handgun, you must possess a valid handgun safety certificate.13

If you have the legal right possess a gun, there are several ways to exercise your Second Amendment right to bear arms.

All of the above is all that really matters when it comes to ACQUIRING AND POSSESSING A FIREARM which is what the PF license is used for. Carrying a firearm on you concealed is a whole other bucket of worms and yes, it is A LOT more restrictive. But for the most part, the vast majority of people, including gang members with zero convictions, can and do possess guns in the USA, including California. 

And to answer some people saying 'legal weapons shouldn't flood the illegal market', it is realistic for legal weapons to flood the illegal market.

Edited by Mantle
1 minute ago, Shmoe said:

I took a quick skim on the topic. And overall, my complete opinion on this is that labeling whether someone is eligible for a PF license based on OOC reasons seems incredibly unrealistic. Just because someone is in a gang, or is gang affiliated OOCly should not determine whether someone should be able to go through the legalities to acquire a firearm. There are plenty of "gang" members that get guns legally in real life. It happens everywhere around America. The only thing to hold someone back from getting a PF license is their CRIMINAL RECORD the record itself could stop someone from having any reach to a firearm. Nor being close to it. So it should be effective in the game too. If there is someone suspected, or is in the gang oocly. They shouldn't be revoked of the right to bear arms. We should be using our amazingly trained detectives and police to pin something to said gang-member so they don't have the ability to get a license for a firearm. Use the resources that the game gives you. Don't take away a right from a gang member because they wanna roleplay someone different, someone that doesn't just drive around in a super-car all day and be a "perfect-person". It's called roleplay for a reason, and rights should be instated. The second amendment is one of the most talked about rights in America. And for someone who lives there. I know for sure it still works real well. So follow accordingly.

it baffles me how people are defending an ooc investigation into ic matters. admin enforced metagaming is still metagaming.

4 minutes ago, Shmoe said:

We should be using our amazingly trained detectives and police to pin something to said gang-member so they don't have the ability to get a license for a firearm. Use the resources that the game gives you. 

Period. If you suspect someone of being in a gang but they've a clean record and they own a PF license, catch them committing a crime and stop them from possessing firearms. That's it. Shouldn't be an OOC rule to stop that. It's just removing a layer of roleplay that should be there right now.

Edited by Mantle

just too add to what I said; while backing the fact gang members CAN and DO own legal licenses, this would NOT benefit the server; in reality, as with all other servers, it's probably going to lean like 99% people not roleplaying it correct or properly at all, and would only cause a large influx of firearms with little to no proper roleplay behind them.

some sort of system should be set up to where certain illegal roleplayers can roleplay around such environment, said systemshave worked on other servers with varying rates of activity and attention (so not consistently in a good or fair state). This group can be kept controlled in both quality of the roleplay coming from the group and the quantity of firearms (and types) being distributed. 

Edited by Midwest
Just now, Midwest said:

just too add to what I said; while backing the fact gang members CAN and DO own legal licenses, this would NOT benefit the server; in reality, as with all other servers, it's probably going to lean like 99% people not roleplaying it correct or properly at all, and would only cause a large influx of firearms with little to no proper roleplay behind them.

see this is what i think is overstated, glocks in general arent that powerful compared to other weapons. you would know this if you've been in shootouts with any sort of automatic weapon.

in general, if a gangster does end up in a shootout with a glock vs any sort of automatic firearm, its really, really bad for him. that's why i think this whole thing's overstated and exaggerated anyway. the illegal market still has massive influence and a large demand for, as it did before this rule being a thing.

1 minute ago, Midwest said:

See that is a valid reason for the rule in place. And I can see why it's in place from this point of view. But arguing the legality of it in real life vs in game and using that as your reason is invalid. But what you've said is a pretty valid reason & concern however I'm pretty sure it's more than gang members that cause a large influx of firearms to the server with little to no proper roleplay around them.

25 minutes ago, Mantle said:

See that is a valid reason for the rule in place. And I can see why it's in place from this point of view. But arguing the legality of it in real life vs in game and using that as your reason is invalid. But what you've said is a pretty valid reason & concern however I'm pretty sure it's more than gang members that cause a large influx of firearms to the server with little to no proper roleplay around them.

oh I 100% agree with you, I just wrote that up quick, gang members, people in criminal entities, w/e. At large it's a win-lose situation either way.

You restrict it, you block the possibility for legitimate roleplayers to interact with it.

You make it half-half, it seems like there's some super selective group

You don't leave it restricted, at large, most people aren't 'serious' roleplayers, which would 100% lead to firearms (maramizo, I have no idea where you got automatics from, I never referenced or specified any specific type of firearm) going out really fast and with very low quality behind it, and it will lead to EVERYONE jumping too it.

Edited by Midwest
3 minutes ago, Midwest said:

(maramizo, I have no idea where you got automatics from, I never referenced or specified any specific type of firearm) 

i never said you did, but a PF license only grants access to shotguns and glocks, the weakest tier of weapons.

1 minute ago, Shmoe said:

And that's the sad truth. No matter what median you find, the players themselves will find ways to abuse it. But overall, revoking a 2nd amendment right that is current in the USA from certain players, and other players having the right. Seems unfair from my point of view.

I agree, fundamental aspects of what we're portraying should not be negated. It is unfair to those who understand reality and wish to properly roleplay around said subject. 

And I know it only grants access to shotguns and glocks, not sure what you're trying to say to me, we seem to be on relatively the same page about this. 

Edited by Midwest