The Irishman (Netflix)

Batter Up

The story was great, but I did have one issue about the whole thing that just disrupted the experience for me. 
Because of the de-aging process on the main actors, it felt a bit like uncanny valley. Robert De Niro is made to look like a younger man, but still got the posture and movement like a 76 year old man. For me, that was very distracting.

Obviously, this isn't something that De Niro can do anything about, but it makes me wonder if it would have been better to use different actors for those roles. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 12/20/2019 at 3:57 PM, Thirteen said:

The story was great, but I did have one issue about the whole thing that just disrupted the experience for me. 
Because of the de-aging process on the main actors, it felt a bit like uncanny valley. Robert De Niro is made to look like a younger man, but still got the posture and movement like a 76 year old man. For me, that was very distracting.

Obviously, this isn't something that De Niro can do anything about, but it makes me wonder if it would have been better to use different actors for those roles. 

Those were my biggest issues with it as well. The CGI to age them down made it tough to watch. Especially since the aged down versions didn’t look like the actual young Denero or Pesci. Likewise the story is presented as a real depiction, but there are tons of Inaccuracies. 

From a factual standpoint I give it a 4/10. From an entertainment standpoint, easily an 8/10. 

Great film, probably not my favourite from Scorsese but still awesome. Every now and then I find myself going back to watching clips from scenes. Yeah the CGI might throw you off a bit but the acting and writing is flawless, and the soundtrack is really good too.

On 12/20/2019 at 5:57 PM, Thirteen said:

This is something Scorsese and the actors talked about in "The Irishman In Conversation" (available on Netflix).. There is a scene where Jimmy Hoffa (Al Pacino) is watching TV with his family and end up getting pissed with the news that are talking about Kennedy. In the first time they recorded it, Al Pacino was acting slowly (the usual for a 70 years old guy), and they end up telling him that he should act quicker because he is supposed to have 49 in the scene. This also happened with De Niro, specially in the scenes with stairways.

About the CGI, Scorsese said he didn't want the actors to use "tenis balls" on their heads while recording, and ended up using a different technology (offered by some guy who is related to the Star Wars movies). But to do that, there were a lot of cameras during the recordings, which complicated the acting for our idols. Joe Pesci said that he just didn't know where to look, and the others actor said they had the same issue.

Old actors, new techniques. But it's certainly the future. At least they will be able to act for, I don't know, 50 more years?

• Gall locked this topic