Winter Roleplay

mafioSSi

@Mecovy: Just because I shit my pants on the train that one time doesn't mean I do it frequently.

I don't understand how people want to realistically portray the state of California, and more specifically, the city of Los Angeles, and then turn around and go "we want SNOOOOOOOOOOW."

Yeah, we get it. You people want to roleplay in the snow and take selfies next to your luxury sports vehicle for your Facebrowser or whatever the new, hip thing the kids use these days. Does Menyoo not have a 'snow' setting?

Edited by Thread

The California argument was dubbed "invalid" last year by the majority of people, and now, that it is snowing and supporting the argument, it's somehow now valid. Interesting switch-a-roo folks. That being said, sure, let it snow. And if you're going to use the argument of "realism", no one better have winter clothing and winter tires. You should be skating around the roads in your souped up rice-a-roni vehicles.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, Thread said:

@Mecovy: Just because I shit my pants on the train that one time doesn't mean I do it frequently.

I don't understand how people want to realistically portray the state of California, and more specifically, the city of Los Angeles, and then turn around and go "we want SNOOOOOOOOOOW."

Yeah, we get it. You people want to roleplay in the snow and take selfies next to your luxury sports vehicle for your Facebrowser or whatever the new, hip thing the kids use these days. Does Menyoo not have a 'snow' setting?

shut up Duncan; me want snow!

For its relative location on the West Coast, Los Santos has a Mediterranean climate that doesn't allow for any snow outside a freak weather event. 

Shout out to the staff who have to deal with the inevitable powergaming of this year, and the argument resurfacing next year (without an IRL storm to base itself from). 

Edited by Ribsey

"The staff team had a lengthy internal discussion about snow which later escalated into a discussion between the subteam leaders and manager in order to determine whether it should snow or not. 

We came up with a very simple solution. The server will follow LA's weather due to its location. If it snows in LA around Christmas, January, June or any other random time of the year, we will make it snow. If it doesn't, we won't. 

This way we follow a consistent pattern of weather in general which also makes sense in terms of the map's location. Some of you said snow shouldn't happen at all, some of you said snow should be a thing - the actual weather in the region will be the deciding factor instead of either side. If the forecast shifts towards snow or any other 'unique' weather type I promise you we'll make it happen IG."

The above quote is the decision that was made last year when it came to deciding if it was to snow in-game or not. I personally didn't expect snow to happen in the LA area, which is why I said no snow previously on this thread. The weather in the area has proven be wrong. As a result, we're currently discussing if we're implementing snow and to what level. For now we're roleplaying colder than usual weather and rain. Script support was added earlier since it was a five minute job to put the two commands in. 

Right now, it's looking likely that we'll have light snow on the server. If people don't roleplay around it correctly it can be taken away with one command. 

Just because it snows through Mountain Pass all the way to Palmdale it doesn't mean it's snowing in South Central. Best you get is ice. I understand the appeal but implementing a snow system which suggests you're gonna keep this up for weeks on end seems counterproductive.

All I'm going to say is this is going to cost worthwhile population: last time someone tried snow on a server based in LS, 90% of the illegal factions and 100% of the gangs didn't log in for as long as the "event" was over. It is what it is — the actual problem isn't snow, it's continuity butting heads with this while weather in itself has never been regarded too much in game and everybody roleplays what they wants (some roleplay cold, some roleplay way too hot, and so forth, there's never been coordination there because it's always set up to be sunny so people take that to be legit). Perhaps instill weather forecasting into the server before pulling a 180 like this.

• Upvote 1
  • Selena locked this topic