Delivery job is modern-age slavery.

Blastafary

Good morning everyone,

I am here to discuss with some of you the roots of "Delivery job".

When you start the Delivery Job, you get to drive a burrito, which can only carry 5 crates and at the end of trip you get a message saying "If you work hard enough, you'll be able to drive a bigger vehicle" (or something along the lines of that), so I start grinding and grinding until it dawns on me:

I need 100 trips to start using the "Mule", which can carry up to 12 crates.

And I started using simple maths.

-I need to buy a crate at $150, and I sell it to the business at $230. That means I get exactly ((230 - 150) x 5 = 400) $400 per trip.

-One trip takes about 10 minutes (more or less), meaning I get an average of 6 trips per hour if I am speeding like crazy (because if I follow the rules it will probably take 15-20 minutes) 

$400 for 10 minutes worth of work.

And 400 x 6 = $2400. I get paid $2400 per hour IF I speed like a mad man and break all the traffic rules.

-Now let's see how long it will take me to get upgraded to a bigger vehicle.

If one trip takes around 10 minutes (again, if I speed like a madman) that means 100 divided by 6 = 16.6. That means it will take me a little less than 17 hours if I work non-stop to get promoted to a slightly bigger vehicle.

Please tell me, is this fair for a newcomer? 

Not to mention to drive a truck you need 500 DELIVERIES.

And driving a bigger vehicle with take you LONGER so let's say it is 15 minutes per trip with a bigger vehicle. 15 x (500-100) = 26. I only need 26 hours ontop of the 17 hours to actually drive a truck and start making decent money.

Now here are my suggestions:

-Make it less trips to get a promotion, money is not great at all, but it should compensate if we get less deliveries per promotion.

-Make money being deducted from the bank account instead of player holding money when buying a crate (i need to get to an ATM every 2 deliveries)

-Make it possible if you buy a truck, you can actually use a truck instead of having to deliver 500 deliveries to use your OWN truck.

Edited by Blastafary
Fixed the numbers.
  • Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Blastafary said:

Good morning everyone,

I am here to discuss with some of you the roots of "Delivery job".

When you start the Delivery Job, you get to drive a burrito, which can only carry 5 crates and at the end of trip you get a message saying "If you work hard enough, you'll be able to drive a bigger vehicle" (or something along the lines of that), so I start grinding and grinding until it dawns on me:

I need 100 trips to start using the "Mule", which can carry up to 12 crates.

And I started using simple maths.

-I need to buy a crate at $150, and I sell it to the business at $230. That means I get exactly (230 x 5 = 1150) $1150 per trip.

-One trip takes about 10 minutes (more or less), meaning I get an average of 6 trips per hour if I am speeding like crazy (because if I follow the rules it will probably take 15-20 minutes) 

$1150 for 10 minutes worth of work.

And 1150 x 6 = $6900. I get paid $6900 per hour IF I speed like a mad man and break all the traffic rules.

-Now let's see how long it will take me to get upgraded to a bigger vehicle.

If one trip takes around 10 minutes (again, if I speed like a madman) that means 100 divided by 6 = 16.6. That means it will take me a little less than 17 hours if I work non-stop to get promoted to a slightly bigger vehicle.

Please tell me, is this fair for a newcomer? 

Not to mention to drive a truck you need 500 DELIVERIES.

And driving a bigger vehicle with take you LONGER so let's say it is 15 minutes per trip with a bigger vehicle. 15 x (500-100) = 26. I only need 26 hours ontop of the 17 hours to actually drive a truck and start making decent money.

Now here are my suggestions:

-Make it less trips to get a promotion, money is not great at all, but it should compensate if we get less deliveries per promotion.

-Make money being deducted from the bank account instead of player holding money when buying a crate (i need to get to an ATM every 2 deliveries)

-Make it possible if you buy a truck, you can actually use a truck instead of having to deliver 500 deliveries to use your OWN truck.

The server economy  is based on jobs rewarding approximately $4000 per hour if you're actively oing them. $6900 is more than great, once again make sure you don't drive unrealistically or you'll be admin jailed.

I would like to remind you that this is a roleplay server first - you're not here to grind or do 1500 trips in a ay to reach the maximum optimization. Experienced truckers roleplayers were even able to request the maximum rank without a single trip, just by roleplaying properly.

You're playing a long term character, it should take months of working and roleplaying as a trucker before you can get to the highest rank in your company. If we allowed everyone without long roleplay (all these trips) or an application that was accepted to do deliveries in big trucks, the city would be full of trucks rushing everywhere, disturbing the roleplay etc, and we don't want that.

I'll change the money being given to cash instead of bank, so you don't need to stop at an ATM everytime.

Just now, Nervous said:

The server economy  is based on jobs rewarding approximately $4000 per hour if you're actively oing them. $6900 is more than great, once again make sure you don't drive unrealistically or you'll be admin jailed.

I would like to remind you that this is a roleplay server first - you're not here to grind or do 1500 trips in a ay to reach the maximum optimization. Experienced truckers roleplayers were even able to request the maximum rank without a single trip, just by roleplaying properly.

You're playing a long term character, it should take months of working and roleplaying as a trucker before you can get to the highest rank in your company. If we allowed everyone without long roleplay (all these trips) or an application that was accepted to do deliveries in big trucks, the city would be full of trucks rushing everywhere, disturbing the roleplay etc, and we don't want that.

I'll change the money being given to cash instead of bank, so you don't need to stop at an ATM everytime.

Cheers for the money being switched to bank. 

Now here is my question:
When you say this "Experienced truckers roleplayers were even able to request the maximum rank without a single trip, just by roleplaying properly."

Will I be able to request it? I am a delivery driver in real life with proof, I made the character with the intention to be a truck driver

24 minutes ago, Blastafary said:

Cheers for the money being switched to bank. 

Now here is my question:
When you say this "Experienced truckers roleplayers were even able to request the maximum rank without a single trip, just by roleplaying properly."

Will I be able to request it? I am a delivery driver in real life with proof, I made the character with the intention to be a truck driver

It's not how it works - we're talking about an application for your character not for you. Your real life has no impact on his knowledge.

You can see the application here

It requires an active character with a trucking background.

• Upvote 1

Slightly off-topic, but still in-line with the delivery job and one of it's perceived short-comings in my opinion; I've been RPing an independent trucker for some time now and have somewhere around 280+ deliveries. My character doesn't mesh well with others and is something of a loner himself, which is why I've been avoiding trucking companies for all this time despite the fact that I would make more money by engaging with them. At 250 deliveries I became qualified to use the Vapid Benson which carries 15 crates. I now own and have upgraded the vehicle, but upon doing deliveries my character still gets taxed 20% (down from 30% for rented vehicles you pay no maintenance, fuel, or down-payment on) of his earnings per trip for "being an independent trucker". I know trucking companies who offer lower rates then that, and you don't have to pay fuel or maintenance on their vehicle. I assumed there would be /some/ tax on my deliveries regardless of purchasing it, but 20% taken by the city basically means there is absolutely no up-side to owning your own vehicle. I put around 155k into my truck and still earn less then those who simply joined up with a trucking company with no skin off their teeth.

My assumption of how this should have worked was if you bothered to invest in a truck for the sake of your character's profession, you would likely earn more per delivery compared to those using rented or borrowed vehicles because they don't spend any money on maintenance, insurance, or fuel, and you'd have to do at least 100 deliveries using your vehicle before you started to earn an income above the money sunk into your investment. Instead it seems you pay more, earn less, and have to do even more deliveries then initially anticipated.  After roleplaying a character in a specific way for months, and being just shy of 300 deliveries, I find this somewhat disheartening. I have to do around 130 deliveries with my new truck just to break even on my investment now. That's around 22 pure hours of deliveries, and the entire time I know that if my character was less stubborn and more of a "team player" before joining up with a trucking company I would earn more with less hassle. My question is, why is there no up-side to owning your own vehicle?

My only explanation for this is that it's meant to be an incentive for characters to loop up with trucking companies, which makes sense to some degree, however the heavy investment into one's personal work-vehicle would assumable suffice. To me, it seems like the script  job is forcing characters to be a part of trucking companies if they want to earn /anything/.

My character has been complaining about this IC, but as far as I know, this is not something that can be changed IC. I understand if this comes off as personal winging, but I'd like to invite a discussion around ways trucking can be improved. Directed towards what was said above, with trucking being "slavery", it's not. You earn decent money the further up the ladder you go. The more time invested, the greater the reward. Balanced with fishing, which can make around 4-6k an hour depending on player RNG, trucking is more of a long-term profession since fishing can only keep you going until you have 400k in personal assets. Despite my complaint above I still earn $1200 a shipment, which is better then I would earn fishing.

TL:DR If my character owns their own truck why do they get paid less then people who don't?

Edited by Fancy Toothpaste
  • Upvote 1
23 minutes ago, Fancy Toothpaste said:

Slightly off-topic, but still in-line with the delivery job and one of it's perceived short-comings in my opinion; I've been RPing an independent trucker for some time now and have somewhere around 280+ deliveries. My character doesn't mesh well with others and is something of a loner himself, which is why I've been avoiding trucking companies for all this time despite the fact that I would make more money by engaging with them. At 250 deliveries I became qualified to use the Vapid Benson which carries 15 crates. I now own and have upgraded the vehicle, but upon doing deliveries my character still gets taxed 20% (down from 30% for rented vehicles you pay no maintenance, fuel, or down-payment on) of his earnings per trip for "being an independent trucker". I know trucking companies who offer lower rates then that, and you don't have to pay fuel or maintenance on their vehicle. I assumed there would be /some/ tax on my deliveries regardless of purchasing it, but 20% taken by the city basically means there is absolutely no up-side to owning your own vehicle. I put around 155k into my truck and still earn less then those who simply joined up with a trucking company with no skin off their teeth.

My assumption of how this should have worked was if you bothered to invest in a truck for the sake of your character's profession, you would likely earn more per delivery compared to those using rented or borrowed vehicles because they don't spend any money on maintenance, insurance, or fuel, and you'd have to do at least 100 deliveries using your vehicle before you started to earn an income above the money sunk into your investment. Instead it seems you pay more, earn less, and have to do even more deliveries then initially anticipated.  After roleplaying a character in a specific way for months, and being just shy of 300 deliveries, I find this somewhat disheartening. I have to do around 130 deliveries with my new truck just to break even on my investment now. That's around 22 pure hours of deliveries, and the entire time I know that if my character was less stubborn and more of a "team player" before joining up with a trucking company I would earn more with less hassle. My question is, why is there no up-side to owning your own vehicle?

My only explanation for this is that it's meant to be an incentive for characters to loop up with trucking companies, which makes sense to some degree, however the heavy investment into one's personal work-vehicle would assumable suffice. To me, it seems like the script  job is forcing characters to be a part of trucking companies if they want to earn /anything/.

My character has been complaining about this IC, but as far as I know, this is not something that can be changed IC. I understand if this comes off as personal winging, but I'd like to invite a discussion around ways trucking can be improved. Directed towards what was said above, with trucking being "slavery", it's not. You earn decent money the further up the ladder you go. The more time invested, the greater the reward. Balanced with fishing, which can make around 4-6k an hour depending on player RNG, trucking is more of a long-term profession since fishing can only keep you going until you have 400k in personal assets. Despite my complaint above I still earn $1200 a shipment, which is better then I would earn fishing.

TL:DR If my character owns their own truck why do they get paid less then people who don't?

It doesn't make sense to get taxed 20% if you own the truck and work independent, there should be no tax or as low as 5% for fees or something. 

• Upvote 2
35 minutes ago, Chuck Lee said:

As a trucking company owner, 5% would kill all companies, and there wouldn't be interaction apart from all of them grinding on their own because 5% would make it profitable for lone truckers. 

We'd still have to pay for fuel, maintenance, and (for me anyways) put 155k into a truck. I also have my truck parked in the back of my property for storage. Sure, I would hypothetically make more money per delivery, but my profits would be on a bell-curve starting well into the negatives before I eventually break even after 100+ deliveries and begin making actual money.

Although I can speak only for myself, I very much doubt every player who engages in trucking is going to want to put themselves through that hassle, and as it stands there is literally no upside to being an independent trucker and owning your own vehicle despite the required investment. Currently it's just a money sink.