Mixing OOC on FB

aldo

The term mallrat has lost its meaning and it's been like that for years now. 'Mallrat' is generally a term nowadays that's used to describe those that are lacking in roleplay skills, whereas in the past it was used to describe anybody who hangs out at the mall, nowadays it's used so much that it pretty much just describes bad roleplayers as a whole.

It's a purely OOC term and really shouldn't be used, especially not on GTAW where nobody even hangs out at any mall.

Edited by El Ghetto Man
  • Upvote 1

Every area of RP needs improvement atm.

I'd rather have people talking about actual American politics on FB than going on and on about irrelevant, foreign shit that we give 0 care about whatsoever.

The argument on Menyoo is touchy.

The term "mallrat" is as old as dirt, and has meant the same thing for years. RC-RP's been seen as the home for "mallrat rp" on SAMP yet nobody sets shop at an actual mall. It's a connection between somebody just in general being a bad roleplayer tied in with always and forever portraying a civilian character, alongside the strong instances of incest, people getting romantically attached to players on a OOC level due to their relationship inGame, actual pedophiles, online catfishes, bestiality, etc.

Edited by varrio bangin
  • Upvote 1

Ahem the term mallrats on GTAW specifically refers to people hanging out Mirror Park, parking lot usually fooling around their cars, sometimes getting into arguments and whatnot. It isn't actual mallrat more like a derogatory term for people that just hang out around there in their cars. Which is odd cause it is considered as one of rp hubs to an extent? That aside, I mentioned menyoo cause people are using to alter actual pictures in ways not possible to achieve in-game. I personally use only in-game pictures albeit taken by 3rd party app. But most of those people have different look IG. I meant nothing else by it, only that I don't use Menyoo as I don't consider it necessary.

Edited by Engelbert

Do not use ''Mallrat'' IC. It is not something anyone would ever say ever. It ruins immersion, makes you look bad and creates an awkward passive-aggressive out of character driven atmosphere. That word was created via a video game to insult someone based on an area they role played in and then used as an insult for a bad roleplayer, you can use the ''It's in-character'' argument but it's far from it. 

Edited by jop
  • Upvote 2

Before you use the term "mallrat" IC, consider whether you would use it in real life. It's exactly the same thing.

As for the OP, why are those things irrelevant? If issues are relevant to people living in the southwestern United States in real life, they're relevant to characters here. The roleplay on this server takes place in the current day in a real country.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2020 at 4:55 AM, El Ghetto Man said:

The term mallrat has lost its meaning and it's been like that for years now. 'Mallrat' is generally a term nowadays that's used to describe those that are lacking in roleplay skills, whereas in the past it was used to describe anybody who hangs out at the mall, nowadays it's used so much that it pretty much just describes bad roleplayers as a whole.

It's a purely OOC term and really shouldn't be used, especially not on GTAW where nobody even hangs out at any mall.

On 1/6/2020 at 9:32 AM, jop said:

Do not use ''Mallrat'' IC. It is not something anyone would ever say ever. It ruins immersion, makes you look bad and creates an awkward passive-aggressive out of character driven atmosphere. That word was created via a video game to insult someone based on an area they role played in and then used as an insult for a bad roleplayer, you can use the ''It's in-character'' argument but it's far from it. 

I wouldn't say the term "mallrat" is "far from" IC. Whether it's appropriate to use really depends on context and how one portrays their char. What everyone who has taken the position against it has done is they've taken its literal meaning and invoked that literal meaning to conclude that it can't be used because there are no malls -- they've, in essence, confined the term to its literal meaning and only one context (a mall). But the term doesn't have to be taken literally; it doesn't have to refer only to one context. It can be used and taken metaphorically and transposed into other, similar contexts through metaphorical use.

For instance, the term "gym rat" (which I use, jokingly, to refer to myself, sometimes) has a literal meaning that confines its context to a gym or fitness studio of sorts; but you can use it in other non-literal and analogous contexts (such as if I were to call Selena a "gym rat" after learning they're always at the tennis courts), because in those other contexts the ordinary receiver can infer the meaning in the similar context from the literal meaning.

Using this line of thinking, I can use "mallrat" IC to refer to someone whom I see sitting on the hood of their Cheetah Classic in the Mirror Park plaza, almost daily, for long hours. Here, the term was transposed into a new context: Mirror Park plaza. And, from the literal meaning, we can infer that the meaning being conveyed is that this person frequents Mirror Park plaza with no obvious purpose there -- and presumably, with their Cheetah Classic.

Of course, you might run into trouble if the receiver isn't familiar with the metaphor at all and takes the term hyperliterally -- promptly pointing out to you that they're not: (a.) a rat or (b.) at a gym. But that's a whole other problem in and of itself! 

OP: I agree with KV. That was a well-put explanation.

Edited by Midsummer Night's Dream
30 minutes ago, Midsummer Night's Dream said:

I wouldn't say the term "mallrat" is "far from" IC. Whether it's appropriate to use really depends on context and how one portrays their char. What everyone who has taken the position against it has done is they've taken its literal meaning and invoked that literal meaning to conclude that it can't be used because there are no malls -- they've, in essence, confined the term to its literal meaning and only one context (a mall). But the term doesn't have to be taken literally; it doesn't have to refer only to one context. It can be used and taken metaphorically and transposed into other, similar contexts through metaphorical use.

For instance, the term "gym rat" (which I use, jokingly, to refer to myself, sometimes) has a literal meaning that confines its context to a gym or fitness studio of sort; but you can use it in other non-literal and analogous contexts (such as if I were to call Selena a "gym rat" after learning they're always at the tennis courts), because in those other contexts the ordinary receiver can infer the meaning in the similar context from the literal meaning.

Using this line of thinking, I can use "mallrat" IC to refer to someone whom I see sitting on the hood of their Cheetah Classic in the Mirror Park plaza, almost daily, for long hours. Here, the term was transposed a new context: Mirror Park plaza. And, from the literal meaning, we can infer that the meaning being conveyed is that this person frequents Mirror Park plaza with no obvious purpose there -- and presumably, with their Cheetah Classic.

Of course, you might run into trouble if the receiver isn't familiar with the metaphor at all and takes the term hyperliterally -- promptly pointing out to you that they're not: (a.) a rat or (b.) at a gym. But that's a whole other problem in and of itself! 

Use the term however you want to interoperate it, doesn't matter to me.  Truth is though that the origin of the term came from LSRP and I was among the group of people who originally began using it. It was quite literally always a term used to insult other players for their rp abilities, because when you call someone a mallrat, you're basically saying that that person belongs at the mall among all the other shit roleplayers.

The term on most roleplay servers like LSRP is quite openly malicious and is generally a term that's used as an OOC insult and degrade players whilst disguised as an IC insult.

Please don't use the word IC especially if ur character's in a gang or criminal organisation. I've never seen an MS13 member with face tattoos turn around and call someone a mallrat, it just doesn't happen, but it happens on roleplay servers.. Ik the word gym rat & mall rat are used IRL, but they have different meanings and they're used completely differently & is quite generally not much of an insult in real life.

On 1/6/2020 at 11:44 PM, varrio bangin said:

The term "mallrat" is as old as dirt, and has meant the same thing for years. RC-RP's been seen as the home for "mallrat rp" on SAMP yet nobody sets shop at an actual mall. It's a connection between somebody just in general being a bad roleplayer tied in with always and forever portraying a civilian character, alongside the strong instances of incest, people getting romantically attached to players on a OOC level due to their relationship inGame, actual pedophiles, online catfishes, bestiality, etc. 

The above is literally what the term mallrat means on RP servers.

Edited by El Ghetto Man
  • Upvote 1