Mixing OOC on FB

aldo

I guess it's pretty unclear on what can be taken IC from the real world and what can't.

We're roleplaying in the modern day, and as far as I can tell there's no real set thing from the admin team on whether or not we're roleplaying in the GTA universe or the real world. People reference real life events, places, et cetera when they most likely don't exist in Rockstar's universe because their games are set in a parody of the US.

Personally I don't mind real life events being referenced IC through Facebrowser, people talk about esports, video games, politics whatever else. I think it gives characters something to talk about and reference, instead of having to just make up who our president is, for example.

• Upvote 2

To me it adds a layer of realism to have these local, national, and international events for our characters to care about and react to, things we can actually take and apply as objective facts as well as give enough subjectivity for some diversity and discord.  There will be some character that frankly don't give a crap.  And others that do.  VARIETY.

• Applaud 1

Los Santos doesn't exist in a black hole.. The city itself is fictional, but it's part of the US and real life events still exist & happen. I thought it's fine just like referencing real life celebrities, brands, and car models is fine. People wrote IC news articles about Brexit and that seemed a little out of place for anyone living in LS, but it was still okay. Some characters care, other's don't.

This is an old post but it mentions using the real-life elements, and current events might be considered part of that?

• Upvote 1

Discussing IRL events on Facebrowser is fine really as long as people exercise a degree of common sense and don't go out of their way to break the fourth wall. There's a difference between talking about what's in the news and sharing screenshots from a Discord you're in or a game you played.

• Upvote 1

There's no defined (written) continuity, so it's free game. There is nothing defining whether the real world is separate from the game world, so these news stories are technically allowed. We had these discussions internally in staff at several points.

It basically boils down to this - there's no definition, no one will (or should) get punished for it. You have radio songs in-game with references to real places and real world events. It's a hard thing to control and define in a perfect, all-encompassing way. For now, you've always been free to roleplay what you want with this.

• 1 month later...

If your character has any kind of political or religious opinions at all, you're bound to reference current or historical events not reflected in the GTA Universe. Not allowing mentions of that would severely hamstring most if not all characters.

I don't see any definition of "OOC" that says you can't talk about the IRL world. My character mentioning the Kansas-Nebraska act, either IG or on FB, isn't "bad roleplay", it's the opposite of that.

Edited by arrdef

What we should be talking about is people insulting each other and trolling OOCly through an IC platform such as FB, it makes absolutely no sense for an adult to behave like a teenager, or just insult or troll because OOC has a problem with that user, it doesn't matter if their character is 30 or 40 years old, if he is a serial killer, he belongs to a mafia or a businessman, they use FB and behave like kids, totally meaningless.

Edited by Jennie
  • Upvote 2
  • Applaud 1