How to improve crime rp

Max3

Here's my idea, since a lot of the talk in this thread seems to be around specific gangs in certain areas.
How about these gangs get held to higher RP standards and actually RP more interesting criminal dynamics such as community outreach and business ownership. Instead of bang-bang I used my macro'd/pre-written actions to go around and try blasting rival gangs. Criminal activities don't have to be murder and shit.

• Upvote 1

People always complain about how many shootouts happen, especially with police, but the police don’t roleplay like genuine American police. Cops don’t pull you over and search you because they “have a hunch” you’re a gang member or have drugs on you in real life. That’s something that will get them fired or put in jail for infringing on people’s rights. I’ve had this happen so many times to me and it makes me angry.

Edited by Dynamite!

I believe that there's a lot that can be done and said about the quality of crime and illegal roleplay in general but at the end of the day the quality doesn't just come from the criminal and gang roleplayers themselves, a part of it also comes from the quality of roleplay from other factors that are thrust towards those people. You could have the most amazing criminal roleplayer who has fleshed out and developed a character, someone who fully thinks and takes their actions into consideration when they're roleplaying but if you put a robo cop, a ditzy civilian or any kind of "bad roleplayer" with them things aren't going to work out. The scenario and quality of the roleplay comes down to everyone involved at the end of the day and in most cases both parties in these interactions will be left with a sour taste in their mouth because either one side just downright can't roleplay properly and they're been given the opportunity to have a good experience but they have a lack of commitment to what they're doing and the other side will get a tilted mind frame because "I'm not breaking any rules, this guy just doesn't want to roleplay with me and is trying to cut it short." However, all of this can be applied to any side of roleplay in general, just thought I'd put it down since there's always more than one side to bad experiences.

Moving onto the more specific factors that relate to gang roleplay and I'll start with the shootouts and "mass DM" that have occurred.

I think a lot of the time when this happens it's because of two factors, mainly being that people don't think before they act and how easily accessible it is. People find it easier to just aim and shoot at someone rather than going into the detail of having a fight and this in turn makes everyone else involved in gang roleplay move to the gun because if they don't then they have no chance to defend themselves. Would you rather run and get gunned down every time or arm yourself and give yourself a chance to protect what you hold? There's no wrong answer to that question but it also throws out the "play to win" stigma. Some people get a kick out of shooting to get a kill, it is a game after all and it's one of the main mechanics in the game so yes people are going to want to use it as often as they possibly can, however this kind of mentality needs to be weeded out.

The second part comes down to how well someone can connect themselves to a scenario and the thinking process behind what you're about to do. I get the feeling that a lot of people toss away the civilian portion of being a gang member, you're still a human being at the end of the day and you do the things that everyday average joes do. It's not all about holding guns, selling drugs and getting drunk with the homeboys. You have parents, you have a family, you have personal needs and things you need to do and a lot of that isn't put into some of these characters, they're there for the gang aspect and that's all they want to do. For gangs who roleplay in close quarters they need to think deeper than the things that are on the surface - that person you're about to shoot? There's a good chance you've gone to school with them, there's a chance that you were friends at one point during schooling, there's a chance that you've competed together or against each other at community center events, fuck there's even a chance that you could be related to them in one way or another. With all of those factors in place would you really want to kill that person?  Has that person killed someone who you were extremely close to? Has that person actually hurt you? Or are you just trying to get the virtual W for you and your buddies because it gives you a warm and fuzzy inside? If the answer to these questions is no then you're better off putting it down to a g-check and move on with some healthy beef.

I've probably gone off on a tangent here and ranted on a bit so TL;DR:

Remove the "play to win" mentality from shootouts:

Serious consequences toward those who are known to shoot first, question later.

Heavier IC punishments for people caught using firearms, I believe this is already being worked on with the new prison system.

Heavier OOC "punishments" for being caught in a firearm based beef, possibly OOC character cool downs or something after a death caused by a firearm.

Basically just remove some of the "fun" aspects of using a gun, remove the "fun" from a mechanic and people are likely to move onto something else.  

Weaponry:

If you're a supplier look at the faction/person you're considering supplying to and ask yourself if you believe they'd use the guns in a reasonable manner, don't think of your e-cash first.

If you're a faction leader or someone in the faction who is in a position of power to hand out or sell guns to people in your faction just re-read the first point.

YOU, yes, yourself. If you see your buddy or someone in your faction fucking around and pulling out their gun at every chance they can just because they want that W have a chat to them or let your faction leader know. Fuck ruining other peoples experience and possibly your own because you don't want to "snitch" out someone.

Learn, know and help:

Learn what you're going to be roleplaying, do some research on the potential gang you're going to be portraying if it's something you've never done before.

If you're someone with experience in the roleplay that you're currently doing and see someone not doing it quite right pull them up and give them a hand, no one is going to have a fun time if they don't know what they're doing or if people allow them to get away with doing the wrong things, they're just going to be laughed at and ridiculed because they're doing it wrong. Reach out and help these people and you'll find their quality of RP will begin to match your own.

THINK:

Think about the scenarios you're going to be getting into and flesh out the pros vs cons. If you see a rival gang member walking down the street on their own and you're three deep, do you really need to shoot at them or inflict actual physical harm? Or would you rather check them, let them know they've been caught lacking and have them become a laughing stock? Only put roleplay on other people that you would like done to yourself, don't ruin their experience because you want to feel big.

Also just as an extra;

• Upvote 1
  • Applaud 1
On 11/24/2019 at 2:44 AM, Dynamite! said:

People always complain about how many shootouts happen, especially with police, but the police don’t roleplay like genuine American police. Cops don’t pull you over and search you because they “have a hunch” you’re a gang member or have drugs on you in real life. That’s something that will get them fired or put in jail for infringing on people’s rights. I’ve had this happen so many times to me and it makes me angry.

This is probably a cultural issue. In my country, cops will pull over anybody under the age of 25 that they want to and they'll search them if they want, nothing will be done about it. All because they're 'look suspicious' due to their age or how they're dressed. However, I went on vacation to the USA recently to see some American family and they all kind of said that the cops really don't harass them at all, in fact, they don't really stop people at all unless they've ran your plates and realize you haven't paid a ticket or something along those lines.

• Cara locked this topic

Thread locked.

Name calling is name calling, no matter how small the text is made.

All this thread is doing now is proving why illegal RP struggles so much. Until difficult, inflammatory, better than you attitudes adjust it will continue to be what it is now.