How to improve crime rp

Max3

2 minutes ago, Netsrac said:

I remember using a system like that back when i used to do RP on swtor. Problem with this is really, it only really works if both parties agree on using it and its not really good in a open area.

I know for a fact, that certain factions out there use a rolling system. But thats only when faction members are fighting between them selves in a more controlled space.

Yeah, that is definitely one of the issues with it. Plus there is also the issue of when large groups are fighting, people jumping in mid fight, etc. There are issues with this idea of course, but on a one on one basis it works fantastically 

Just now, Browneboys said:

Yeah, that is definitely one of the issues with it. Plus there is also the issue of when large groups are fighting, people jumping in mid fight, etc. There are issues with this idea of course, but on a one on one basis it works fantastically 

That I can agree with, I've seen it used in most of the factions I have been apart of.

I'm seeing a lot of hate on gang roleplay on here and I can see why. When I first joined over from SAMP, I started a DTO faction with a street gang subset. During our time active, we had good roleplay and grew in numbers but.... the gangs in the surrounding area have no idea how to behave realistically, at all. A lot of the gangs in the area are overly aggressive and are clearly looking to just cause wars. This is fine when done occasionally but the truth is, every black gang I've seen is like this. Also, nobody can actually use proper black gang slang at all on this server and it's clear a lot of them have no background knowledge of how to lead a successful black street gang. Slang is obviously a MAJOR key to running a realistic faction. 

To add onto all of this, a serverwide thing I've seen is... you're treated as a bad roleplayer if you type short /me's such as "/me smacks Rodell into the mouth." instead of something like "/me raises his right hand and sends it directly into Rodell's jaw with the intent to do damage, putting his whole body weight behind it" this is a pretty outdated and honestly shitty way of thinking when it comes to roleplay. A much more modern, clean and slick style of roleplay is keeping your /me's short, simple and to the point. 

Some examples of stuff I see on here (marked with an X) and a much better way of roleplaying: 

Jane picks up her fork, cuts a piece of her steak, raises it to her mouth, and takes a bite. ✗

Jane eats her steak. ✓

Jane gets out a pack of cigarettes and a lighter, lights her cigarette, raises it to her mouth, and takes a puff. ✗

Jane smokes a cigarette. ✓

Jane searches her pockets, takes out her wallet, pulls out some money, and hands it to the cashier. ✗

Jane pays the cashier. ✓

With this, we can conclude the level of your roleplay doesn't come from how long your /me is. Your roleplay standard is directly correlated to how your character is affected by situations that arise and how you develop realistically with those situations. So in short, you can be roleplaying in a gang and typing the longest /me's but if your behavior to situations around you and trying to show WHY you're roleplaying in a gang such as, displaying your characters struggle, is non-existent? Your quality of roleplay will always be trash. I'd love to see the people typing 40 page /me's cut down on that shit and actually try behave realistically,  show real emotion, whats led to your characters decisions in life, how certain situations (deaths of homies, poverty, father locked up, mother ill, etc) affect them. That is how gang roleplay can be made better. With the current gangs, that probably won't happen since a lot of them can't use proper grammar or string together a proper sentence from what I experienced these last few days. I'm specifically speaking about the black gangs since that's what I mainly roleplay and that's what I've been around most on this server.

TLDR: Black gangs don't behave realistically on here. /me usage is pretty outdated. I don't want to read a book of /me's on how you're smoking a cigarette, I want to see a short /me of you smoking your cigarette and then immediately back to CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT. A fifty page line of cigarette smoking is not development or 'quality' roleplay.

Edited by Mantle
2 hours ago, Mantle said:

Also, nobody can actually use proper black gang slang at all on this server and it's clear a lot of them have no background knowledge of how to lead a successful black street gang. Slang is obviously a MAJOR key to running a realistic faction. 

TLDR: Black gangs don't behave realistically on here. /me usage is pretty outdated. I don't want to read a book of /me's on how you're smoking a cigarette, I want to see a short /me of you smoking your cigarette and then immediately back to CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT. A fifty page line of cigarette smoking is not development or 'quality' roleplay.

yes they do, ur quite behind with the times bro.. 

at first they didn't, but now they do

Edited by aldo
2 hours ago, Mantle said:

I'm seeing a lot of hate on gang roleplay on here and I can see why. When I first joined over from SAMP, I started a DTO faction with a street gang subset. During our time active, we had good roleplay and grew in numbers but.... the gangs in the surrounding area have no idea how to behave realistically, at all. A lot of the gangs in the area are overly aggressive and are clearly looking to just cause wars. This is fine when done occasionally but the truth is, every black gang I've seen is like this. Also, nobody can actually use proper black gang slang at all on this server and it's clear a lot of them have no background knowledge of how to lead a successful black street gang. Slang is obviously a MAJOR key to running a realistic faction. 

To add onto all of this, a serverwide thing I've seen is... you're treated as a bad roleplayer if you type short /me's such as "/me smacks Rodell into the mouth." instead of something like "/me raises his right hand and sends it directly into Rodell's jaw with the intent to do damage, putting his whole body weight behind it" this is a pretty outdated and honestly shitty way of thinking when it comes to roleplay. A much more modern, clean and slick style of roleplay is keeping your /me's short, simple and to the point. 

Some examples of stuff I see on here (marked with an X) and a much better way of roleplaying: 

Jane picks up her fork, cuts a piece of her steak, raises it to her mouth, and takes a bite. ✗

Jane eats her steak. ✓

Jane gets out a pack of cigarettes and a lighter, lights her cigarette, raises it to her mouth, and takes a puff. ✗

Jane smokes a cigarette. ✓

Jane searches her pockets, takes out her wallet, pulls out some money, and hands it to the cashier. ✗

Jane pays the cashier. ✓

With this, we can conclude the level of your roleplay doesn't come from how long your /me is. Your roleplay standard is directly correlated to how your character is affected by situations that arise and how you develop realistically with those situations. So in short, you can be roleplaying in a gang and typing the longest /me's but if your behavior to situations around you and trying to show WHY you're roleplaying in a gang such as, displaying your characters struggle, is non-existent? Your quality of roleplay will always be trash. I'd love to see the people typing 40 page /me's cut down on that shit and actually try behave realistically,  show real emotion, whats led to your characters decisions in life, how certain situations (deaths of homies, poverty, father locked up, mother ill, etc) affect them. That is how gang roleplay can be made better. With the current gangs, that probably won't happen since a lot of them can't use proper grammar or string together a proper sentence from what I experienced these last few days. I'm specifically speaking about the black gangs since that's what I mainly roleplay and that's what I've been around most on this server.

You're on a text based platform telling people to stop using detailed text because you're too lazy to read it. While I agree with the original argument that length doesn't equate quality and that the overall grasp of a character determines if roleplay is quality or not, the notion that "shorter" is better is simply stupid. If this was a voice server where the majority is spoken word as opposed to written word, I'd agree completely - it's all about getting to the conclusion as fast as you can, hence VOIP. But this is the written word and any writer knows better. You try and give as much information as you can to the reader so they can visualize in their head what's going on, the more detailed, generally the more in depth and better the visualization is. It also allows the other roleplayers to interact with the action in a more specific way, thus cutting down on the "powergaming" complaints. 

Character development and the ability to write go hand in hand when roleplaying in a text based environment. The majority have strengths in 1 and not the other, some have the ability to do both and some just out right don't have any sort ability at all when it comes to development and writing. 

If you as a roleplayer were treated badly because you choose to write shorter and non-descriptive actions, then the individuals who treated as such are wrong and should feel bad (probably be neutered too). No one, regardless of which side of fence they are, should be treated bad because of the way they do actions. I personally, as a writer, enjoy giving individuals as much information as I can through the use of /me, /do and the various other action commands. I do this because I want the individual to be able picture in their mind exactly what my character is doing so they can appropriately react without having to ask me in /pm, /b or the misuse of /do if an action they are going to do would work. The lack of clarification results in the majority of player / player issues. 

Edited by Caporegime
  • Upvote 3
Just now, Caporegime said:

You're on a text based platform telling people to stop using detailed text because you're too lazy to read it. While I agree with the original argument that length doesn't equate quality and that the overall grasp of a character determines if roleplay is quality or not, the notion that "shorter" is better is simply stupid. If this was a voice server where the majority is spoken word as opposed to written word, I'd agree completely - it's all about getting to the conclusion as fast as you can, hence VOIP. But this is the written word and any writer knows better. You try and give as much information as you can to the reader so they can visualize in their head what's going on, the more detailed, generally the more in depth and better the visualization is. It also allows the other roleplayers to interact with the action in a more specific way, thus cutting down on the "powergaming" complaints. 

Character development and the ability to write go hand in hand when roleplaying in a text based environment. The majority have strengths in 1 and not the other, some have the ability to do both and some just out right don't have any sort ability at all when it comes to development and writing. 

If you as a roleplayer were treated badly because you choose to write shorter and non-descriptive actions, then the individuals who treated you said way are wrong and should feel bad (probably be neutered too). No one, regardless of which side of fence they are, should be treated bad because of the way they do actions. I personally, as a writer, enjoy giving individuals as much information as I can through the use of /me, /do and the various other action commands. I do this because I want the individual to be able picture in their mind exactly what my character is doing so they can appropriately react without having to ask me in /pm, /b or the misuse of /do if an action they are going to do would work. The lack of clarification results in the majority of player / player issues. 

This is a beginner roleplaying take to what actually matters. "/me smokes a cigarette" and "/me takes a pack of cigarettes from his pocket, lighting one and inhaling the toxic fumes" are the exact same thing. One is just pointless and takes time away from development.

Unless your way of smoking showcases anything other than smoking, like a heavy cough or a failed attempt at smoking because your character's incapable of inhaling correctly - then yeah it's pointless to add on filler in an RP line. 

Feel like that's a discussion related to improving role play as a whole and not just criminal RP.

3 minutes ago, Thread said:

I'm with @Mantle on this one. I'm a big fan of keeping /me's simple. Maybe not too simplistic to the point where your actions are just '/me does thing,' but I dislike seeing overly elaborate /me's that doesn't add a whole lot to painting a picture.

Yes I don't mean /me smokes cigarette. But I also don't mean twenty lines for you smoking a cigarette. It's utterly pointless. 

• Cara locked this topic