Ideas to improve the Illegal Roleplay scene on the server

Benny Black

I've noticed the quality of illegal roleplay on the server diminishing in recent times and as someone that's only roleplayed criminal characters on this server. I find that rather troubling. I'm not looking for the usual, "Oh fuck this server man! ITS TRASH AND WILL NEVER GET BETTER!" I hear that 24/7 from dozens of different people. I wanna hear genuine ideas on how to improve the illegal roleplay scene. My goal with this thread is for staff and upper management to read it then possibly consider some of these ideas for implementation on the server. The purpose of this thread is not to bash staff like alot of these general discussion threads quickly turn into. I wanna see actual realistic ideas.

• Upvote 1

It's pretty simple, if you won't have factions that are shooting and bashing hungry it'll improve itself. Another thing is second hand suppliers charging ridicilous prices for any guns. Like let's be honest, supplier get their guns for 8-15k tops and I keep on seeing this issue of them being resold for 25-50-100k. It's just dumb, you create illegal roleplay, not staff. Same goes for the drugs, when I was supplier myself I never charged more than 10-20$ to the original price. It left room for them not costing stupid high prices.

Edited by DeAngelo

The illegal economy is bunk. Few ways to get cash other than your paycheck.. Robbing people leads to salt and admin reports, jacking cars is hard to do and not very profitable, broken when the server resets, and most vpark anyway. People use OOC knowledge not to hire you (it happens, it isn't provable) and I think that is a big turn off for illegal rp.. Players get bored.  

I am not sure its even money being the issue, money is easy to get, its activities that are available when your faction isn't online, 

Edited by cryybabyycryy
  • Upvote 2
2 minutes ago, Tank said:

I'd appreciate if you could point out what you think is wrong with illegal role-play. Why do you think its quality is declining?

Personally, i'm not sure. I just know it is. I've been on this server for over a year and when I started I came on and was like, "HOLY FUCK, THIS SHIT IS KINDA DOPE!" Now, were the factions that were on the server at the time realistic? No. Did their roleplay still have good quality and was there character progression? Yes. Now, when I get on the server I drive around to bars and I just cringe in my seat. I get genuinely uncomfortable by how poor some of the roleplay is. There appears to be no character progression whatsoever in alot of factions. People don't accurately roleplay the criminal lifestyle they roleplay these Tony Montana-esque characters. I think if more people focused on making their characters more three dimensional, and more complex the roleplay quality would improve greatly. I think a good example would be @varrio bangin his characters are complex. They have depth, they have personalities. They come off as real people not these one dimensional gangsters that currently fester on the server. 

I also wanna see people take more time to actually research the faction they intend to roleplay. There's a long list of poorly researched factions on this server that simply aren't accurate portrayals of the real life versions of these groups. If people took a couple more hours to research what they're trying to do I think that would also help to improve the roleplay on the server.

Finally, i'd like to see a new faction management team that is both knowledgeable on criminal roleplay and legal roleplay. Not to say, Knoxville isn't doing a good job, but i'd like to see more members of FM than the 1-2 that currently reside on the team. These are my ideas to improve the illegal roleplay on the server.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, I'm with the guy above.

I don't active roleplay much anymore, and just mostly lurk on the forums from time to time, but I'm still waiting for THE faction. I'm talking about the faction to set the bar. I'm talking about the GTA World's Wilcox Organization, the Valenti Crime Family, the White Car. I'm talking about the trailblazers, the trendsetters, the pioneers of illegal roleplay. The people to look around the server and say, "alright, I'm gonna have to handle this shit myself." And you know what? They do.

• Applaud 1

I know this sounds crazy, but one thing that helped improve *my illegal* RP - was actually have a back story to my character, having a *life*, having *family* - having things almost every human has. People tend to think that during Illegal RP, the only thing you can do is rob stores, rob people, murder, sell guns/drugs and the same old goodies. Illegal RP can be extended in so many different ways but it is up to the player themselves to want that part of the illegal RP. On one of my previous posts, I said the value of ones life is what makes RP so much more fun. If a character has nothing to look forward to after they shootup a store, or rob a store, does it really make it that fun after the  rush has died down? Or after the LSPD comes and guns everyone down?

Though my character that I did illegal RP on wasn't in a 'gang' or 'mafia' - however, he was a normal day person who had a job, but then sold drugs in the back to his friends, helped with guns, and also from time to time would attempt a contracted hit on someone. What made that all fun? Honestly, it was the 'secretive' part of having to hide all of my characters illegal activities from my family.  That was the real rush, when my character had to come home and his wife would be there waiting like "Where have you been mister?". If you have no value to your character, no value to the RP you do on the daily, the illegal RP will suck..

Edited by Pillsbury
1 hour ago, cryybabyycryy said:

The illegal economy is bunk. Few ways to get cash other than your paycheck.. Robbing people leads to salt and admin reports, jacking cars is hard to do and not very profitable, broken when the server resets, and most vpark anyway. People use OOC knowledge not to hire you (it happens, it isn't provable) and I think that is a big turn off for illegal rp.. Players get bored.  

I am not sure its even money being the issue, money is easy to get, its activities that are available when your faction isn't online, 

Hopefully with the new CK reports rule, robberies will become a little better. People on the other side of the gun may be less reluctant to role play being Rambo and try to shoot their way out of it. The illegal players will become more careful (one would hope) in knowing that not valuing their life in that scenario could end up with their character being CK'd. I'm wishfully hoping for an improvement in quality on that front. We shall see.

Stealing cars is something that I feel could be improved upon so much, obviously with some work. Maybe with the new Rage update some new suggestions can be made. I believe I saw something about improving the amount of streamable objects, which means people could leave their cars parked on the server without the server reaching its maximum streamable objects limits.

I feel /vpark is 100% unrealistic to be completely honest. I see at is an OOC way to protect your vehicle from being stolen/found/seen/etc. In real life, people leave their cars parked in driveways, parking garages, etc. I've seen the argument that people can't "engage in the RP" of someone stealing their car if they've gone to bed at night or gone to work, etc. Last time I checked, people's cars stolen in real life happen whether you can "engage" in the situation or not. Measures are put in place to combat these things in the form of preventative measures or after-the-fact methods such as alarms, locks, anti-theft devices, insurance, police reports, GPS tracking, etc.

I feel that there are limitations with the current RageMP client, but hopefully with these upcoming updates some new and improved features can be implemented to help spur this side of RP.

1 hour ago, Benny Black said:

Personally, i'm not sure. I just know it is. I've been on this server for over a year and when I started I came on and was like, "HOLY FUCK, THIS SHIT IS KINDA DOPE!" Now, were the factions that were on the server at the time realistic? No. Did their roleplay still have good quality and was there character progression? Yes. Now, when I get on the server I drive around to bars and I just cringe in my seat. I get genuinely uncomfortable by how poor some of the roleplay is. There appears to be no character progression whatsoever in a lot of factions. People don't accurately roleplay the criminal lifestyle they roleplay these Tony Montana-esque characters. I think if more people focused on making their characters more three dimensional, and more complex the roleplay quality would improve greatly. I think a good example would be @varrio bangin his characters are complex. They have depth, they have personalities. They come off as real people not these one dimensional gangsters that currently fester on the server. 

I also wanna see people take more time to actually research the faction they intend to roleplay. There's a long list of poorly researched factions on this server that simply aren't accurate portrayals of the real life versions of these groups. If people took a couple more hours to research what they're trying to do I think that would also help to improve the roleplay on the server.

Yes, yes, YES! Hit the nail on the head.

Edited by Kestalas

Prices on weapons and drugs? That's supply and demand. If your buying a one off pistol or shotgun yeah I'm going to charger you a significant tax on a weapon. You RP with me and my faction? Your probably gonna get a better deal. However a lot of people just want the guns and to go so there for they get the tax. As more weapons enter the server and when people stop losing them as frequently then you will see prices go down.

Chopping cars should be significantly more rewarding. Right now you make shit money doing it and while I understand this is an RP server and we should be choosing RP over $$ but its hard to convince someone to do something that is all Risk no reward. 

Overall we're seeing a changing of the guard for Illegal RP. You can't have a good faction without a good leader and it takes a special kind of psychopath to not only want to lead a faction but to do it successfully. For a really long time organized crime had a very solid leadership OOCly, guys who have been RPing for almost a decade and came from the same places as many of the San Andreas factions mentioned previously in this thread. Overtime, the next class of faction leaders will emerge and take their place.

I can also say that Prison will change everything, between what I've heard from the Sheriff department and what I've heard from the Illegal faction leadership Prison is going to turn this server on its head. 

"The server is a roleplay server - not a simulator. Our ultimate goal is to provide a fun environment for everyone in the setting, even if in doing so it "evens the playing field" when it is not typical to do so. For instance, if an inmate is hiding an item somewhere and says you wouldn't find it, it is often better to leave it until a circumstance would essentially result in finding that item. An example - if an inmate is being searched after exiting the canteen and roleplays hiding a weapon in an area you wouldn't typically search, do not force the result of it being found.

It is better to roleplay failure than force success. Follow this philosophy.

Our positions are not to police the server, but to provide quality police roleplay." - @Bospy

I think @Bospy's philosophy I posted above will "Save" Illegal RP.  If staff follows through with half the shit they've said they were doing with this addition we'll still be in a better position as a server.

2 hours ago, Henning said:

As more weapons enter the server and when people stop losing them as frequently then you will see prices go down.

You and I both know this isn't true in the slightest. What the majority of illegal RPers care about above all else is making money. And rightfully so, it's a requirement to keep doing the RP. But the biggest issue is this, and it's not your fault.

Everyone is a hustler. Rarely does someone go buy a gun with the intent to hold on to it. Yes, people might hold on to it for a significant amount of time, but that's probably only until they have a buyer lined up for it. There are no end users. Because every criminal, small and large wants to think they're contributing to the gun/drug trade on RP servers. It's not just this one, it's most servers.

2 hours ago, Henning said:

If your buying a one off pistol or shotgun yeah I'm going to charger you a significant tax on a weapon.

Another issue. I'm not saying don't make your money. What I am saying is the people who are trying to double their money per pistol or shotgun is an issue. And people can say "Oh, well that's just the way the server goes." or "If you're buying 2nd or 3rd hand, the price generally goes up."

Not really. If anything, it goes down. The more hands a gun goes through, the less valuable it actually becomes. For some reason, people on RP servers seem to have that mixed up. Regardless of anything, at the end of the day, a used gun does not fetch the price of a new gun. But for some reason here, if you want an illegal pistol, they're double or more what a legal pistol is. And generally speaking, in the real world, the market is so flooded with handguns that that is not the case in the slightest. Again, it goes back to people always wanting to be a "gun dealer" and make enough money to buy two guns off the one gun they've sold. That mantra works with drugs. Turn two into four, four into eight, etc. But a gun is not the same thing. People fail to realize this.

Big ticket items like a full auto AK or a full auto M4? Yeah, hefty price those things all day. Because they shouldn't be someone's go to gun when a small thing arises.

• Upvote 3