Law & Order - GTA World Edition (Judiciary Faction Q&A Stuff)

Brett

courts-corrections-banner-img.jpg

Hello everyone, 

I am Brett, you can read a little about me here. I'm the old leader of the Judiciary Faction who was responsible for the Penal Code, State Laws, Court Structure, and all other matters related to the GTA World legal system that I built from the ground up. The purpose of this topic is to be a regular topic to discuss matters involving the Judiciary as a faction for now and foreseeable future, as well as to keep conversation going about how the court is operating and review some feedback from the community involving the faction. As this topic has been updated from what was on it previously, I wish to open it up with a new poll to the community in order to gage the attitude towards the faction, which by now a lot of roleplayers probably have gotten a little bit of experience with in some way, shape, or form. And of course, questions are always welcome as well as any concerns, or other feedback as we continue to grow the faction. One request if we may ask, we would like to hear the experiences you have had with the courts whether they are good or bad, so that we may continue to improve. So if you have these experiences, please post them here as well to share. 

Edited by Brett

Can you tell us more about the process that happens if a person cannot afford to pay a court ruled fine? As we've seen with the recent Sten De Visser case, it resulted in him CKing his character. I'm unsure if this was due to being unable to afford the fine and finding no other option. That's just my guess!  But is there a process in place should someone be fined an amount they simply cannot pay? Whether that's through smaller payments over time etc.?

It would be a shame for players to feel the only option is to CK their character for admittedly stupid minor things. Like in the Stan De Visser case, I to would have gone on that golf course and not known it was owned as I've not seen a single advertisement or roleplay event hosted there whilst online. And I do not have a 90k bank account to pay either if I was in his shoes. 

Can you just clarify the process after a ruling has been made?

The court cases have been very entertaining, a really impressive amount of work has clearly gone into it! (Rascals verdict was a joke tho lol)

Edited by ashlyii
  • Upvote 3

I don't suppose there's a future for anything mental health related law-wise is there? I've been lucky that as a crisis negotiator in PD, one of three things has happened:

• The person has killed themselves (not the most ideal outcome)
  • The person is talked down and voluntarily goes to hospital (the most ideal outcome)
  • The person committed a crime so we could arrest them (or they end up getting gunned down; the worst outcome).

I have not yet had someone who is talked down, but then refuses to engage after the fact. And I'm guessing it's only a matter of time until that happens.

Is there anything in the works affording peace officers, or even FD, to detain people for their own safety?

Edited by Westen
22 minutes ago, Mitch said:

He couldn't afford it, he was flat broke 

That's my point! I want some clarification as that shouldn't happen for something as stupid as posting a picture on Facebrowser playing golf, lmao.

For something so minor (especially as, I'm sorry, I haven't seen that golf club advertised once) to end up costing someone their character doesn't seem right. I get that in real-life it can happen but that court case definitely left a sour taste in my mouth and I can't support the owner's in that club going forward. I've never seen it used or advertised, no events, nothing. In situations like that, I don't think it's fair that it could cost someone their character's life if they simply can't afford a fine for an honest to God mistake. Guy just wanted to share a nice photo of him at a golf club and ended up CKed for it. That's a massive downfall I can see of the court system - but I'm hoping that OP can clarify the payment process if someone cannot afford a fine so we don't see people CKing over it all the time. It wouldn't be fair. 

Actually, I've just become made aware that the person has actually left the server. This is a massive failure on the courts behalf and this needs some clarification. This should enhance role-play, which most of the time it does, not force people to quit for posting a picture on Facebrowser especially in that situation where the owner's have done a terrible job owning that property as no one I have talked to knew it was even owned.

I would really be interested to know how you plan on dealing with situations like this in the future as we can't lose members of the community because of unfair fines or sanctions placed upon them when there is definitely a factor of OOC to play. I feel for Sten, I really do. 

Edited by ashlyii
  • Upvote 6
28 minutes ago, ashlyii said:

That's my point! I want some clarification as that shouldn't happen for something as stupid as posting a picture on Facebrowser playing golf, lmao.

For something so minor (especially as, I'm sorry, I haven't seen that golf club advertised once) to end up costing someone their character doesn't seem right. I get that in real-life it can happen but that court case definitely left a sour taste in my mouth and I can't support the owner's in that club going forward. I've never seen it used or advertised, no events, nothing. In situations like that, I don't think it's fair that it could cost someone their character's life if they simply can't afford a fine for an honest to God mistake. Guy just wanted to share a nice photo of him at a golf club and ended up CKed for it. That's a massive downfall I can see of the court system - but I'm hoping that OP can clarify the payment process if someone cannot afford a fine so we don't see people CKing over it all the time. It wouldn't be fair. 

Sten had more than enough assets to pay out, or his wages would've been garnished, either way, this stuff happens daily in the USA so unless there's a revolution then this'll remain the norm, this is America, don't catch you slipping (in other peoples private property or get sued).  Also, why would anybody be under the assumption that the golf club isn't privately owned? Just because an area isn't player owned shouldn't automatically make it a public area in anyones mind anyhow.

Edited by VisioningHail
10 minutes ago, VisioningHail said:

Sten had more than enough assets to pay out, or his wages would've been garnished, either way, this stuff happens daily in the USA so unless there's a revolution then this'll remain the norm. Also, why would anybody be under the assumption that the golf club isn't privately owned? Just because an area isn't player owned shouldn't automatically make it a public area in anyones mind anyhow.

Well I've heard conflicting stories that he was broke and that he had money - it doesn't make my question any less relevant. I want to know what happens in the case of someone -not- having the money in their account or the assets to cover? It's not acceptable for people to feel they have no other option but to CK and, in Sten's case, leave the server.

As I stated, yes, it happens in real-life but in real-life there's more than 200 active people occupying a city. There would be security guards at a golf-club of that size and stature - there would be some advertisement. I had no idea that players owned that place and neither has anyone that I've asked. In that situation, I think it calls for some OOC intervention as Sten clearly didn't know that a player owned it and simply posted a picture of himself. Does that really warrant a 90k fine? Even after he was made aware, again, I've never seen that place used or advertised, I would have ignored any message to. Plus, I've never known PM to give out a property of that size - so OOCly, especially with that place.. just existing I guess.. I would have assumed I could go there and post a nice picture playing golf.

I just want some clarification for the people that don't have a Cheetah Classic and play their character according to their means. My character is a cop, she's got 40k in her bank account and a bike. If I had a 90k fine for posting a cute picture on Facebrowser, I'd be upset to. 

Edited by ashlyii
  • Applaud 1

Just to clear things up, Sten had over $200,000 in cash, an apartment worth around $325,000 and a Paragon which is $400,000 unregistered. He could actually afford it all pretty easily, the player behind the character just did not want to pay it. He could actually pay the cost twice and still keep all his assets.

2 hours ago, ashlyii said:

Well I've heard conflicting stories that he was broke and that he had money - it doesn't make my question any less relevant. I want to know what happens in the case of someone -not- having the money in their account or the assets to cover? It's not acceptable for people to feel they have no other option but to CK and, in Sten's case, leave the server.

As I stated, yes, it happens in real-life but in real-life there's more than 200 active people occupying a city. There would be security guards at a golf-club of that size and stature - there would be some advertisement. I had no idea that players owned that place and neither has anyone that I've asked. In that situation, I think it calls for some OOC intervention as Sten clearly didn't know that a player owned it and simply posted a picture of himself. Does that really warrant a 90k fine? Even after he was made aware, again, I've never seen that place used or advertised, I would have ignored any message to. 

I just want some clarification for the people that don't have a Cheetah Classic and play their character according to their means. My character is a cop, she's got 40k in her bank account and a bike. If I had a 90k fine for posting a cute picture on Facebrowser, I'd be upset to. 

Those are the type of arguments that could have been made if the person hired a lawyer. The outcome of the case went terribly because there wasn't a lawyer defending. The judge has to make a decision based on the facts provided. There wasn't much of a defense so the case ending up being one sided is just how the court system works.

For the topic at hand, my thoughts are similar to Westen. There's been an increase in the interest in roleplay around mental health. This is both from players roleplaying mental health issues and from players roleplaying as psychologists and psychiatrists. It would benefit anyone involved with that kind of roleplay if there was clearer laws brought in for first responders, doctors and anyone rolepalying mental health issues.

• Upvote 2
  • Applaud 1

Ignoring the Sten De Visser thing, my question still remains what happens to those of us that simply don't role-play a lavish life-style? What processes are there in place in terms of payment structure if we ever find ourselves in a similar position?