IN-GAME TIME:IRL TIME RATIO?

CSBIE

10 minutes ago, cryybabyycryy said:

Grey area for me, even after 6 months of being on this server I dunno..

seems that way, but then jail time is different (1m is 1 day, 1 day is 1 hour..ect)

people "age up" on the random (oh playing 17 sucks, my char is now magically 23)

I

It's indeed a grey area. However, for the day to day activities, 1 minute OOC = 1 minute IC. For example when someone calls you and says they'll be over in five minutes, then it will be five minutes. Prison time has an established ratio. The rest of the 'time' like aging up and such, is usually given depending on various events in the character's life. Anyway, you shouldn't really trouble yourself too much with it. You'll find that it will become natural and you'll decide for yourself when a year or a month has passed in regards to the character's situation. Also, most factions tend to keep a logical track of time for characters and only allow them to age up for well argumented reasons.

IG time is the same as IRL time, with the exception that you can boost your characters age when you deem necessary for char. development and such. (Eg. Aging up a cop character every time you get promoted to avoid having unrealistic 21 year old detectives and 23 year old sergeants. ) 

Edited by Brian

Like many have said, it's a grey area.

Purists like myself would say 1 minute = 1 minute, regardless of circumstances. In this case, I'd say that characters being promoted to high ranks in PD should namechange rather than "age up". I did this when I became a detective in PD while I was part of the faction. For jail times, I've always said they should be realistic and that if your character commits a crime and is caught doing so that would carry a heavy prison sentence in real life then that's your fault and you should be /jailed for that amount of time. Since DOC hasn't fully formed yet and there isn't a prison system this would effectively be a CK. I CK'd my character Kido Hisaki when he was convicted of murder. It doesn't make sense for a character to be convicted of a heinous crime then have them back out on the streets a few days later. Luckily, the server is moving in the right direction now that the District Attorney is a thing and sentences are spanning months of IRL time.

Criminals - during my time in PD - lacked fear of police because on a meta-level they knew that even a murder conviction would only result in three days in jail. This makes no sense for anyone involved in the RP and in crimes where the victim isn't killed it's extremely unfair to the victim as there is no rule preventing someone from getting out of jail and immediately seeking revenge - sometimes just mere hours later.

For all these reasons, among others, I've always said 1 minute should = 1 minute.

• Applaud 1
12 minutes ago, borhoi said:

In this case, I'd say that characters being promoted to high ranks in PD should namechange rather than "age up". I did this when I became a detective in PD while I was part of the faction. 

What makes you think that? Why're you literally throwing away a character that had the development necessary to become a detective in favor of RPing a transferee who obtained the rank of detective upon transferring ? 

Edited by Brian
Just now, Brian said:

What makes you think that? Why're you literally throwing away a character that had the development necessary to become a detective in favor of RPing a transferee who obtained the rank of detective upon transfer? 

I explained that in my post. In my opinion, 1 minute should = 1 minute.

I also, before saying anything else, said it's a grey area. Not everyone agrees and I'm not evangelizing my viewpoint. If a rule is ever made regarding this I have full faith that it'll be carefully implemented by staff. Since there is no rule currently, those who view this subject differently than me are free to do as they like and I'm not necessarily knocking them. This is just my opinion and what I would implement if I was some kind of server dictator. Luckily, we don't have a server dictator and rules like this are mulled over and thought out before being put into effect.