IN-GAME TIME:IRL TIME RATIO?

CSBIE

Excuse me, what? I haven't ever mentioned 1 minute IRL = 1 minute IG thing in the post where I quoted you, if you scroll up you can even see that we agree on that part? 

What I asked also has nothing to do with a set of rules and regulations, no, nor am I thinking that you're' knocking' someone who doesnvt agree with you. 

My question was, why is throwing away a character with development behind it and RPing a fresh transferee upon obtaining a rank of a detective, sergeant, liuetenant, etcetera 'better', in your opinion, than continuing your previos character's development. I'm just curious. 

Edited by Brian
Mistakes

I think it's better because 1 minute = 1 minute.

You're not going to make PO 1 to Seargent over the course of a few months in real life. In adhering to my personal 1 minute = 1 minute philosophy, I think it's best to namechange instead of arbitrarily "age-up" your character. It creates an inconsistent mess for people who RP with the said character on a daily basis.

That's why I brought up 1 minute = 1 minute. In adhering to it, "aging up" doesn't make sense.

Post as a response to borhoi.

Of course you're not going to rank up from a PO I to Sergeant in 4-5 months, as you do on GTAW (And pretty much every other GTA roleplay server for that matter), no, but name-changing every time you rank up can't be beneficial for character development, and that's why we're here, isn't it?

If you're going to NC every single time you're promoted, well, at this point, it's not your character getting promoted anymore, it's you, and that's wrong. Think about it this way — Is it actually you who wants that promotion and whose career law enforcement is, who will have more benefits, bigger pay, recognition, etc, or it's your character ? If you think that it's you, then, there's a problem. I won't spend hours upon hours here writing about the difference between a player and a character, because I know very well that you know about it, so do I, so does 95% of the players here (hopefully), in short — promotions (unless specified otherwise, which is in 85% of cases wrong) are IC and they should stay IC, it's a character being promoted, not the player, it's the character who might be happy that they've reached the rank they were working their ass off, that they've joined the detective bureau, that they've made it to sergeant, not the player.

Talking about 'making a ton of confusion with aging up', no, you're not, because it's literally one /pm ID Hey, I've decided to RP my character 3 years older because he/she made it to Detective II, just wanted to let you know so we avoid any mistakes in further RP.

Edited by Brian

It's okay to have differing opinions.

Also, none of what I said has anything to do with it being the character or the player. I like to think people here are creative enough to sort a new character now and then.

And sure, /pm ID Hey I'm x years older now.

That doesn't complicate anything at all? You're suddenly 3 years older but no one else has aged? No time has actually passed? Your character - who's development you're harping on - hasn't actually gone through anything comparable to the years it'd take to make whatever rank he or she has obtained.

It's messy and in my opinion silly.

1 minute = 1 minute. That's my opinion and that's what I hold my own role play to.

I don't think there's going to be a consensus come to here between you and I. However, I don't think either of us is objectively "right" or "wrong". Different people have different standards and opinions on this subject.