[Saints News] Monkey Business - Film Review

DFRT13

YhJydCu.png

BZxgAp.png

Monkey Business: Film Review

Vinewood Studios' Newest Venture

Heather Powell

Note: This review will assume viewership of the movie in terms of story details, and will contain spoilers for the same.

Before even commencing the review, I'd like to point out that I watched the movie twice - once as an everyday, common, movie-goer and viewer, and the second time with the mere intention of writing a review, thoroughly dissecting the filmography, acting, writing, editing and much else. With that being said, I'd like to, from my viewer's perspective, point out that the movie was extremely enjoyable - and I'd very much like to commend everyone involved in the movie-making process, with hopes that this is the first of many to come, and farther yet, albeit with no intention of placing a heavy burden on the director, the beginning of a revitalization of San Andreas' movie industry.

With that being said, Monkey Business revolves around the story of two friends, who both serve as protagonists; yet, unfortunately, end up coming off as two-dimensional characters due to the astoundingly bad writing - as for example, the jump from a simple scamming website into a cyber-robbery of the Pacific Bank of Los Santos, which takes place not two minutes after the start of the entire operation. I will add, however, that my issue does not necessarily lie in the pacing, seeing as this is, in fact, a fourteen minutes long movie, but more so in the directorial and writing decisions, such as the inclusion of four different music videos within the movie, shortening what little running time the movie had even further - but also the decision to pick the Pacific Bank as the location the robbery would take place in, which requires the viewer to suspend his common sense momentarily, given the simply massive undertaking this would be in reality. Finalizing this section, however, I'd like to add that the music video sections were not inherently bad - rather, the one present at the three-minute mark was stunning in terms of worldbuilding and, especially, cinematography, with special props to the camera-work. The underlying issue, however, was their over-use and quick exhaustion.

bxM9Ar.png

Regardless of the writing, however, I'd like to return to the topic of the cinematography within the movie, which, in all honesty, caught me by complete surprise. The editors, camera-men and location manager all did incredible jobs; in terms of angles, chosen locations, and, at times, what looks to be a filter on the screen, which I'd personally usually be upset at; but in the way that it's used within the movie, it's masterful. Unfortunately, however, I do have to note that; at times, the background audio over-takes the actors' dialogue, for example, at the 05:40 minute mark, which could still do with some extra work. The actors also deserve nothing but props, as, putting aside how awful the writing was, the lines they were given were delivered perfectly, and in particular, the drunk segment at the eleven-minute mark was great and believable.

In conclusion, I'd rate it at a 6/10, an enjoyable, or even great experience if you simply put aside the writing - and enjoy good camera-work. Nonetheless, I hope to see much more like this in the future, as the film industry in Los Santos has definitely declined over the past several years, and, while a hotspot for agencies and cinemas worldwide, the producers have definitely contributed once again to solidifying Los Santos' place on the map.

Download Your Copy of Monkey Business Here. (Links To External Page.)

Saints News

#ForSaintsBySaints

saints-acc.png

Edited by DFRT13
  • Upvote 1
  • Applaud 1
  • mj2002 locked this topic
  • Wuhtah unlocked this topic