The "Drugs have no benefits" Argument is Weak

DLimit

6 hours ago, Vince said:

A drink is cheap, and it's pretty much expected of you to get a drink when you're at a bar. 

Getting involved with drug usage is completely different.

The average beverage, when purchased at a bar, is $100USD-$200USD. The average gram of marijuana is $200USD-$250USD. Not a major difference

The issue is that individuals lack creativity. It is actually more common for the average person to sit in a room and smoke a spliff with their friends on a daily basis than for a group of individuals to travel to one bar per day within the U.S... In fact, it is more expensive to attend a bar than to smoke a gram. Yet, every single poor person and lower-middle-class individual is attending 1-3 bars per day to spend their wealth on an item that possesses zero mechanical effects... Yet, they won't have the creativity to initiate some decent R.P. with smoking a gram or two with a group of people because "Marijuana has no benefits" xD... See the inconsistency with these "Heavy RPers"?

Just putting that out there...

I'm sort of focusing on marijuana as it is a commonly-used substance in "California" compared to Cocaine or Meth.

Edited by DLimit
  • Upvote 1

I feel like a lot of people use cannabis because it's a substance their character cannot get physically addicted to. At least that is the reason I smoke marijuana on Ted Aukerman, but I've never smoked cannabis on him for the health buff. Ironically, $200 for a gram of weed, while inflated, isn't the most inflated thing on the server. I get a gram of cannabis IRL for about $10-20, and that's in an area where it's very inexpensive. In large cities and in areas where there is no medical marijuana the price of a gram can be a lot more. 

Though roleplay regarding the consumption of cannabis could be improved because currently, the only supported mode of consumption is plain old bud. While in real life there's butane hash oil (Dabs), regular hash oil (Also dabs but not as high in THC content and not as unhealthy), edibles, and if you just really don't care about your health, cartridges. Furthermore, all cannabis is just simply cannabis; there aren't different strains with higher THC contents or high CBD contents, so on and so forth. There aren't script items for drug paraphernalia, such as pipes, bongs, rolling paper, grinders, etc. Though if you're a smart boy you could purchase a cigar, or a cigarillo and use the tobacco leaf around it to roll your bud. Furthermore, if you want a way to grind your cannabis IC, you could put it in a prescription bottle with some pennies and shake it up.

However, regarding hard drugs, I feel like they are either abused by characters for the benefits or people do not understand how that addiction works, or people to some level do understand and that's why they aren't used. If you regularly use cocaine and heroin you are going to become physically addicted to the substance, and it will register as one of the highest if not the highest survival needs in the body. If you smoke meth then you should understand that while heroin and cocaine may be described as being about 3-5 times better than sex, meth is about 20-100 times better than sex. When someone smokes meth it releases so many endorphins--specifically dopamine--that not only is it immediately registered as something the body needs to survive, it is registered as the only thing the body needs to survive. It's for those reasons I feel that not many people use hard drugs on the server. The RP to properly play an addict like that is tasking, and likely not very fun.

So there's a bunch of non-pertinent stuff about drugs. 

• Upvote 1

Did you just say meth is not commonly used in California? Dog, California has a ton of methheads. Fresno, California literally has camps and shelter full of methheads. Meth addiction is one of the biggest problems in California and cocaine is commonly turned into crack and sold throughout the ghettos in Los Angeles. California uses way more cocaine and meth than many other states.

11 hours ago, DLimit said:

The average beverage, when purchased at a bar, is $100USD-$200USD. The average gram of marijuana is $200USD-$250USD. Not a major difference

The issue is that individuals lack creativity. It is actually more common for the average person to sit in a room and smoke a spliff with their friends on a daily basis than for a group of individuals to travel to one bar per day within the U.S... In fact, it is more expensive to attend a bar than to smoke a gram. Yet, every single poor person and lower-middle-class individual is attending 1-3 bars per day to spend their wealth on an item that possesses zero mechanical effects... Yet, they won't have the creativity to initiate some decent R.P. with smoking a gram or two with a group of people because "Marijuana has no benefits" xD... See the inconsistency with these "Heavy RPers"?

Just putting that out there...

I'm sort of focusing on marijuana as it is a commonly-used substance in "California" compared to Cocaine or Meth.

I'm not entirely familiar with the drug script or the script in general so bear with me.

On most role-play servers I've played on, role-play is centered around factions. Generally, a player's goal is to advance in the faction. Drugs, while they can provide good role-play, are a hindrance to these players. Drug addiction is considered a weakness and thus these characters wouldn't move up in the hierarchy by role-playing a realistic addiction to an addictive substance. Since a player's goal is generally to win and advance (I'm saying this is the mentality of most of the population), role-playing any sort of weakness is simply put a pain in the ass. You don't see a lot of people role-playing their first murder for example. The mental trauma that may come with it. It's easier to be a ruthless sociopath to achieve a top dog position in a faction.

Having said that, I'm not too impressed with the current drug script. My character does cocaine and I tried it today using the script and the effect was awful. If you'd like to see more people using drugs, you need more people willing to change their mentality about what role-play is.

59 minutes ago, Tank said:

I'm not entirely familiar with the drug script or the script in general so bear with me.

On most role-play servers I've played on, role-play is centered around factions. Generally, a player's goal is to advance in the faction. Drugs, while they can provide good role-play, are a hindrance to these players. Drug addiction is considered a weakness and thus these characters wouldn't move up in the hierarchy by role-playing a realistic addiction to an addictive substance. Since a player's goal is generally to win and advance (I'm saying this is the mentality of most of the population), role-playing any sort of weakness is simply put a pain in the ass. You don't see a lot of people role-playing their first murder for example. The mental trauma that may come with it. It's easier to be a ruthless sociopath to achieve a top dog position in a faction.

Having said that, I'm not too impressed with the current drug script. My character does cocaine and I tried it today using the script and the effect was awful. If you'd like to see more people using drugs, you need more people willing to change their mentality about what role-play is.

Our server is completely different as other servers, as we prioritize on serious R.P. while disapproving of "Play ti Win" mentalities. You are correct, the attitude of players is the reason as to why the drug system seems meaningless, as their attitude only concerns itself with the mechanical effects, while contradicting themselves by attending three bars per day to purchase alcohol that they do not roleplay consuming properly. I, personally, have only witnessed ONE person that had actually roleplayed as intoxicated... Every one else treats a full glass of rum like it's a bottle of water. 

• Upvote 1
On 10/27/2019 at 12:57 PM, Ted said:

and if you just really don't care about your health, cartridges.

Ok don’t at me like that. 

Jokes aside, I don’t know a single teenager, well, besides one person, who smokes marijuana. The odor stains into your clothes and yourself. I believe there should be a way to have “dab pens” or THC vapes, using “carts”, or cartridges. Same goes for cigarettes. Only one of my friends smokes cigarettes and it’s because they are an immigrant from a country where it is very common. Most teens use them because less hits get you higher, it’s easy to conceal, it doesn’t smell, and it, honestly, looks cooler. I think that it’s kinda odd for kids and people to rp smoking weed in cars and just not rp it smelling. Every single time someone’s so much as brought unbagged weed into my car it’s left a smell for a few days. 

My point, it’s more common for teens and youth to use electronics to consume drugs than it is for them to smoke it, or where i’m from at least. 

I know this isn’t the topic at hand but just something i’ve been wanting to say

Edited by Max3
2 hours ago, Max3 said:

Ok don’t at me like that. 

Jokes aside, I don’t know a single teenager, well, besides one person, who smokes marijuana. The odor stains into your clothes and yourself. I believe there should be a way to have “dab pens” or THC vapes, using “carts”, or cartridges. Same goes for cigarettes. Only one of my friends smokes cigarettes and it’s because they are an immigrant from a country where it is very common. Most teens use them because less hits get you higher, it’s easy to conceal, it doesn’t smell, and it, honestly, looks cooler. I think that it’s kinda odd for kids and people to rp smoking weed in cars and just not rp it smelling. Every single time someone’s so much as brought unbagged weed into my car it’s left a smell for a few days. 

My point, it’s more common for teens and youth to use electronics to consume drugs than it is for them to smoke it, or where i’m from at least. 

I know this isn’t the topic at hand but just something i’ve been wanting to say

Where does one reside within?