How big is San Andreas?

I see all kinds of threads about how to portray an realistic this and that but at times people are treating San Andreas and Los Santos city like it consists of the actual character count the players have - technically a small town. I just wanna know, what kind of a city Los Santos actually is. We RP NPC's here and there at times and I know the city is empty most of the time but still , would be weird to have all those gangs and LSPD special units for a small town, or having all these buildings standing empty.

This thing needs to be figured out and put in concrete ASAP.

It's a live, overcrowded, and functioning city filled with several million people, with certain hours peaking more than other hours, alongside with certain regions being more populated than others. I.E. South-Central isn't as populated as places such as Vespucci or Vinewood. We, the players, only make up a very small portion of the people within this city.

That's MY understanding of the city.

Edited by DLimit
  • Upvote 1

The city is full of people, even if you don't see them, although many people don't know it or just don't care, hence they can commit murders and robberies in very crowded and safe areas.

LS is not a small town, it is a city with millions of inhabitants.

Edited by Jennie

In GTAV, one of the main quest missions involves driving from Los Santos to Paleto Bay in a truck. Lamar remarks that he's never been that far north, and asks how long the drive is. Trevor tells him that in a truck, it's about four hours long.

GTAV's San Andreas is based on California, but it's not the entirety of California. And also, GTAV's San Andreas is not all of canon San Andreas. Cities like San Fierro(San Francisco) still exist, despite not appearing in the game. They are mentioned. Even Las Venturas(Las Vegas) is mentioned. San Andreas is a lot bigger than GTAV's worldspace. GTAV's worldspace is also canonically referred to as "South San Andreas", and encompasses only two counties: Los Santos county and Blaine county. The southernmost part of Blaine County most closely resembles the real life California county of San Bernardino. Then you have the area around the Alamo Sea which is more similar to the Riverside county, and finally you have Northern Chumash and Paleto Bay and those areas, which are more like the real life Ventura County.

But that still leaves a lot of space in California that is not represented, which would be in the other parts of San Andreas that are not in GTAV. 

Los Santos still Los Angeles, though, and it's a very busy, bristling city. Playing GTAV will give you a lot of insight about how lively this city actually is, with its vibrant nightlife, its high tourist areas, especially Del Perro and Vespucci are very busy in the game.

CONCLUDINGLY: The worldspace cannot be assumed to be as big as real life California, because it just isn't supposed to be real life California. In a big truck, which also has to deal with traffic(which doesn't exist in gtaw), it takes up to around four hours to traverse the entire worldspace. 

TLDR:

1) GTAV's worldspace is called SOUTHERN San Andreas, and is not all of San Andreas

2) It's not all of California either, it's a handful of California counties at most

3) Trevor in the main quest said it takes 4 hours to get from Los Santos to Paleto Bay

source: playing GTAV's story and https://gta.fandom.com/wiki/State_of_San_Andreas_(HD_Universe)

Edited by Hugh-Gi-Oh
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Hugh-Gi-Oh said:

The southernmost part of Blaine County most closely resembles the real life California county of San Bernardino.

Moreso Kern County.

It can be assumed that Los Santos as a city is also larger and part of potentially another island, as Bone County and Red County were mentioned in GTA IV. The Jefferson Motel is even mentioned in GTA IV. So feasibly, the entirety of GTA: SA's map could "exist" somewhere off-map as part of a chain of archipelagos, or they could all be connected by some invisible tunnel/bridge system. I know there was a continuity team working on a lot of the questions here, but I'm not sure if that work is still ongoing.

One could exchange Red County for Orange County.

From the wikipedia:

It was confirmed through Rockstar that the present area the player can explore in GTA V is not the whole state of San Andreas, but just the southern island portion of it. This might explain the lack of a designated state capital. It is likely that the GTA equivalent of the areas south of Los Angeles, including San Diego exist and are simply not depicted for gameplay purposes.

Edited by Bospy
  • Upvote 1

San Andreas is a two county state. 

As has been mentioned by @Nervous in thread about the addition of car mod, GTAW uses the GTA Universe as its standard, All GTA Lore/Location/Products/Companies are the base standard. So for example instead of a Bud Light you might order a logger. The Same can be assumed of the map. As stated in the GTA5 Wiki San Andreas {Or Officially known as the State of San Andreas) is a two county state with one capital zone: 

400?cb=20140219184910

In The State Of San Andreas there is two Counties (Los Santos County and Blaine County) and one Capital Zone (City Of Los Santos). The Border between the two counties runs along Route 68 near Sandy Shores and Fort Zancudo. Locating which county you are in can sometimes be tricky as there is no signs on any road saying where the borders are and the only way to then find out would be to look on a map.

As for NPCs and the city feeling empty? People need to take /time into account when RPing. Even the nicest areas like Vinewood can become incredibly dangerous or different after dark. I know for a fact the main stretch in my state capital with all the Bar's, Clubs, Restaurants and theaters is also a hotspot for robberies and murders after 10PM. Its safe to assume its similar or worse in Los Santos since its based off LA.