[Saints News] DJ Egorka Interview

Barriss

mdTbNcQL8xhbLd_beXWJatBLjfCThynz4buvlLaydDuYVfrkZynCs3LV9numvmksRhgQIYaKJ4vC2SbH2nIwxBM6lBndHzsqA55-eXKsdajhX2JbavHoyEIsMtncFf_PnYPUzeZO
DJ Egroka Interview

"Egorka."

Aska Redan

Over the past month, we've seen many fresh new DJs rise, some fall and others remain under the radar in niche markets. DJ AoI comes to mind when you hear the words popular club DJ, but there is one other. The usurper who gained such a massive cult following that dedicated fans and occasional listeners know by a single, nonsensical word.

"Egorka."

The word means absolutely nothing, it's gibberish but is a come to be a greeting and expression of love for the young immigrant Svetlana Koltsova.

AR - Aska Redan
EG - DJ Egorka/Svetlana

*Note Svetlana speaks with a very dense Russian accent.*

AR: What's your origin, you know where you were born, came from, how'd you get here?

EG: I'm from Novosibirsk,Russia. I came here when I was sixteen, by plane. I was born into scrap business, my parents, they send me here to start my own life, and help with

uncle's junkyard. Junkyard, it go under and uncle, he go back to Russian, but I decided to stay here, y'know? It's better here.

AR: Do you know why the business went under or was it symptomatic of the recession towards the 2010s?

EG: Eh it was after Recession. Uncle he have problems, economy, drinking and there was a lot of anti-Russian sentiment here. Because of politics, dates back to the Cold War I guess.

AR: So amid all the issue with coming to America, and your uncle's business falling through. How'd you find yourself becoming a DJ?

EG: A friend, she inspired me. Rina, she DJ at local clubs and parties, with all the popular hit music. I'm not entirely about that kind of music, but she gave me inspiration to DJ and play the kind of music I like to play.

*At this point she received a phone call, and apologized for the interruption*

AR: Please continue if you have any other words on that subject(her inspiration).

EG: So she gives me support and I get all the stuff together to start my own radio. It turned out to be more popular than I was thinking because of the type of music. It's not entirely mainstream, like modern music. But people like it, and it's different than the normal music and I play requests from time to time.

AR: How exactly did you meet Rina?

EG: Through an old friend, named Lee. He moved away now but was one the firsts I had here. They were dating when he introduced me to Rina. Me and her have become great friends, still, are.

AR: Your style and your own radio station is quite unconventi0onal. Normally people stick to a certain theme. You play anything from Nickleback to Post Malone, why is that?

EG: Because it's different, instead of listening to the same old stuff, it's a bit of variety. A little something for every. To break the monotony of listening to rap, metal, or a pop station. You can have all in one place. But I don't play rap or hip-hop often. Only on occasion.

AR: What inspires your love of music?

EG: Well is simple, music is a universal language. Even if I speak Russian, and neighbor speaks English, music is something we can all understand. World revolves around music it would be miserable without in our lives. It's everywhere.

AR: If you had to pick, who are your top band, arts, or groups?

EG: That is a good question.

AR: Who would you dedicate part of your station, setlists or even make a new station dedicated to them?

EG: Daft Punk, Gorillaz, Disturbed, Tool, and Iron Maiden. Is hard to pick five. I love so many different groups, artists and genres. If I had to dedicate anything it'd be to a few people. To Rina, Lee, my late sister, Liz, Bobbeh, Odin. All the people that helped take care of me when I first came here. I would be here if not for them.

AR: And if you had anything to say to our readers, and people of LS. Whether they're new to the city or fervent listeners, what would it be?

EG: Never sell out who you are as a person., love everybody. Even if you don't agree with them, and you don't have to like someone to be nice to them. Manners and courtesy are free, not many things in this world are free. It never kills to be nice to others.

The hour or so we spent together was quite relaxed, at the time she was managing her radio station and taking requests. It didn't hamper our interview in any regard, as a matter of fact, it showed her dedication to interact with her fans. We took pauses for her to put on music, but as we can all see DJ Egorka is nothing but a wholesome woman. Her words in this interview uplifted me as we spoke, and hopefully, her dedication to her friends and fans will reach far and wide.

"Who knew that you could arrange words and sounds in such a way that makes like trance. It's magic."  - DJ Egorka

More From Saints

DJ AoI interview

Interview with a Dominatrix

Saints News

#ForSaintsBySaints

image.thumb.png.5c13d30117efdb622ad343fde18b3b27.png

•  
Edited by Barriss
  • Upvote 4
  • mj2002 locked this topic
  • Wuhtah unlocked this topic