Ban Water Evasion

SpartanofSparta

Water evasion is perhaps one of the most unrealistic things that we currently see in the police department and is something that is incredibly abused through the mechanics of the game. You can currently swim wearing full clothing; shoes, backpack, the lot. You can then dive underwater and swim a full hundred meters without rising for a breath, come up for a single second to let the script refresh and go back down again, and do this for as long as you want without tiring. Olympic swimmers would marvel at each of their strengths.

There is zero realistic roleplay reason for people to swim out in toe Pacific Ocean, Alamo sea or against the flow of a river. There are plenty of other ways people can escape thugs, police or whatever they are running from without resorting to this method. 

There was a time a few months ago where people would drive to the refining site, decamp from their car and go swimming for 20 minutes. I'm glad that's stopped now but people have been jailed for doing it in the past so I don't necessarily agree it needs its own rule, just awareness.

• Upvote 1

I don’t think it needs its own rule, it comes under powergaming and if you see someone swimming like a demigod without the penalties of extra weight from wet gear and cold water, it’s best to report them.

Resorting to jumping in the water is either poor character decision making or they’re just playing to win.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Law said:

I don’t think it needs its own rule, it comes under powergaming and if you see someone swimming like a demigod without the penalties of extra weight from wet gear and cold water, it’s best to report them.

Resorting to jumping in the water is either poor character decision making or they’re just playing to win.

Perhaps not it’s own rule, but bulletpointed clearly so its known.

• 5 weeks later...

Not in agreement. People should be free to take a boat and flee on water or take a swim, aslong as it is realistic what they do. Police should be aware that this is also a potential way to escape custody and should take measurements for it. 

It is a different story if someone dives in the water, swims an extended time or dives under water for a long time without proper roleplay. That falls under powergaming and is not allowed on the server. Best course of action is a report in-game or on the forums. But I do not agree we should ban the evasion on water in its entirety because of a few bad apples.

Edited by Tseard
  • Upvote 1

Just report whoever does it because I really doubt they aren't handled if they just powergame their way through swimming and whatnot. Even if they do, what's it to you? It's just clear evidence of them not being interested in too much role-play and not being very bright. As a police role-player, you should avoid these people easily. Doesn't serve any purpose to try and arrest their characters with no real goal.

For those that don't know, I'm already working on updating our current rules. 

I already have a note under either powergaming or the new rule that's more specific about script and bug abuse. This note states that, while the server script gives each player infinite stamina (as different players had different levels of stamina based on their singleplayer save file), players are expected to roleplay being tired themselves.

People will be free to try to escape whoever is pursuing them in the water as long as they keep it realistic and roleplay the downsides. This is always how it has been but there's going to be an example in the rules that covers this.

• Upvote 1
  • Keane locked this topic