Roleplaying Rich

DLimit

32 minutes ago, Topinambour said:

There is also the issue that most of the jobs that would realistically get you enough money to be that rich... wouldn't make you rich, on GTAW. It's part of the remark I made on another thread, about the deliverables and the price they're estimated at, on the server, compared to real life. 

One example among many: IRL, your rich dad pays a fancy business school for you, he knows someone at that big company, they take you as a senior manager as soon as you're out of school, within 10 years you're director of marketing and within 20 you're an exec. On GTAW... your dad doesn't exist, the big company doesn't exist, there is no need for a director of marketing and even less so of an exec. 

And if you tell people "My char's family is rich and he's doing a marketing office job", you'll be told "Oh you don't RP your job that's bad RP you suck at RP you can't RP rich". ? 

Sounds more like they dont want to start at the bottom of the foodchain. Being lazy to develope their character.

41 minutes ago, The Brotherhood of Steel said:

Sounds more like they dont want to start at the bottom of the foodchain. Being lazy to develope their character.

Incorrect, what you just said is the basis of an rpg, Gta World isn't an rpg. Storytelling and roleplaying has nothing to do with starting at the bottom making your way to the top. I for instance roleplay a college student who lives in eclipse tower and does nothing all day cause, she doesn't have to, her family covers her expenses.

Edited by Engelbert
1 hour ago, Engelbert said:

Incorrect, what you just said is the basis of an rpg, Gta World isn't an rpg. Storytelling and roleplaying has nothing to do with starting at the bottom making your way to the top. I for instance roleplay a college student who lives in eclipse tower and does nothing all day cause, she doesn't have to, her family covers her expenses.

This weird idea that seems to only originate and flourish on FiveRP, and now GTA:W servers that we aren’t a RPG server is pretty funny.

At our core, this is a RPG. A role-playing game. Within RPG’s, there are tons and tons of different games and styles, all with their own flavore. There’s traditional games like DnD which can last months, linear RPG’s where there are skill rankups like Skyrim, short round-based RPG’s like Space Station 13 that doesn’t have any type of stat system, etc.

GTA:W just happens to be a very long term RPG server with no stat system where players can choose what level they start at. What matters in a “role-playing game” is roleplaying within the confines of a game. Whether or not you want to start at the top, middle, or bottom, what matters is that you roleplay a dynamic character.

I see no problem with starting at the top, as long as your character actually changes and grows, either in a healthy or unhealthy direction, or both.

Edited by EliH
  • Upvote 2

In my opinion, as long as you properly roleplay your character's background, think about every little detail and make sure you properly roleplay it - it's fine. However, that is not the case with many of the players I see from day to day that farm money through their businesses, making profit of every slight detail in their establishment including taking the bartenders tips which usually end up around 7k per person and giving them a pre-set amount of 5 thousand for 2 hours of RP. This behavior, in my opinion, is unacceptable and should be dealt with as the persons priority on the server is not roleplaying, it's farming money to buy themself more expensive cars so they can race around with little to no interaction.

Well the problem with starting at the top is you can't. There's some people who are just rich, but it isn't really accounted for on the server. I doubt the average player could go up to an Admin and say "Hey I'd like X amount to start my character and roleplay them how I want." But that's because I'm a cynic. Who knows. Maybe someone COULD come up with a well drawn out character plan, idea scape and offer something legitimately interesting to the server, but I think it'd end up being shackled so heavily or your be forced to dance to a tune that it'd end up being so guided that it feels like it isn't your character anymore. It's some check boxes you had to fill to attempt to play what you want and that's all its allowed to be. 

What I meant was that rpg elements in terms of the standard system aren't present here. Whether your character can read or not, isn't a matter of any game mechanics, it is entirely up to you, if you wish your character to be poor and slowly work their way up throughout ups and downs, now that is your decision, if you want to skip all that process and simply play a character with already established background, you can do that as well. It is not mandatory to start at level 0 like in rpg games. Your surroundings dictates your level in this matter, how you interact with others, the character evolution is not entirely your own, but it is also influenced by others. Whether you come into LS as a student from another city or you could simply have lived here from the beginning. Everything that you want to be there at the start is entirely up to you, I merely comment that different storywriting isn't laziness at all.

You are not just creating a character, you are writing a book as well.

Except there's nothing to show for your apprent background differences between people. The issue I feel is that being 'rich' isn't something that's incorporated into the servers style. Money can ultimately bring a lot to bare in reality. In server what can it do? That number at the top right is just a sink for property, cars and other assorted vehicles. There isn't anything there that is explicitly for 'rich people'.

I think the starting funds kind of goes into it personally. Id like the choice to sit down with an admin, wipe the 40hour new character period and get a lump sum at the start that's agreed on. 

1 hour ago, EliH said:

Friend of mine wanted to start a jewelry shop where you’d have to pat for jewelry, but its pointless considering higher-tier clothinf and jewelry isnt locked behind stores but instead free at any clothing store.

I made a character with a friend to do the same sort of thing, being a more indie and chic jewellery and clothing store. We realized that stores would be kind of awkward to take a hold of because the main draw to using something like that (a clothing store) makes FAR too much money passively to be given over to players, and then no one is going to buy the items because...well, it's not worth it serverside. No one really cares about it when you can just pay the 100 and do it that way.

7 hours ago, The Brotherhood of Steel said:

Wait. Because a character only develops when they get rich?

I was told RP was about developing a character through development of stories with other characters, scenarios, stuff like this. Unless you mistook a roleplaying game with a basic mobile game where you grind gold. 

No because, I mean... following your (insanely reductive) reasoning, nobody could realistically start anywhere except at the bottom IRL. Everyone is born poor in a poor family and has to move up. Which is... a very GTA-esque reasoning, and also complete nonsense.

Edited by Topinambour