Naval / Coastguard faction discussion

ThatDutchPerson

Hi everyone,

recently Ive been involved in the discussion on what factions we would like to see ingame. My take was a militairy style faction, like a state navy.

The idea behind it that it would mostly roleplay drills is somewhat outdated lately. Such a faction would perform sea patrols around its flagship (that aircraft carrier) and acros the state (literal coastguard duties), and they would administer the state’s Airspace (although thats more for the airforce). It does roleplay drills, but it could also heavly assist the LSPD/Government Agencies with cases of domestic terrorism and times of civil unrest (think of the LA Riots). Scenarios such as natural disasters, calling for Search and Rescue help in hard to reach spots and a new perspective in roleplay would come available.

Many people said that such a faction doesnt belong in a roleplay server. I do however, with strict OOC and IC guidelines and clear communication in a strong leadership it could become a huge succes.

What are your thoughts?

Edited by ThatDutchPerson
15 minutes ago, ThatDutchPerson said:

Many people said that such a faction doesnt belong in a roleplay server. I do however, with strict OOC and IC guidelines and clear communication in a strong leadership it could become a huge succes.

Because It doesn't. I don't see how this will fit in the server, is it a fun idea? Yeah, it is. But I don't think it's a good idea to put this in the server. Ontop of that, the server needs more players for this.

Edited by The Brotherhood of Steel
2 minutes ago, The Brotherhood of Steel said:

Because It doesn't. I don't see how this will fit in the server, is it a fun idea? Yeah, it is. But I don't think it's a good idea to put this in the server. Ontop of that, the server needs more players for this.

You say it doesnt belong here but can you give me a reason that it doesnt? There is nothing stopping it, if properly executed it could become a huge succes and we have enough players to pull it off.

I genuinely think people are just afraid of the old days where “Army RP” was so cringe that it was one big troll, well, we came a long way and we should give it an other shot.

44 minutes ago, ThatDutchPerson said:

You say it doesnt belong here but can you give me a reason that it doesnt? There is nothing stopping it, if properly executed it could become a huge succes and we have enough players to pull it off.

Because States don't have their own Navy.

Because States don't have their own Army.

Because States don't have their own Air force.

There's 3 reason right there.

Its not needed and anything a National Guard unit or Reserve unit might deal with can be handled by PD.

1 hour ago, Henning said:

Because States don't have their own Navy.

Because States don't have their own Army.

Because States don't have their own Air force.

There's 3 reason right there.

Its not needed and anything a National Guard unit or Reserve unit might deal with can be handled by PD.

Are you even from America? There are army bases in every single state where national guard and coast guard are stationed. 

• Applaud 1
1 hour ago, Dynamite! said:

Are you even from America? There are army bases in every single state where national guard and coast guard are stationed. 

Yes I am in fact American and I can see one of those coast guard stations from my desk!

1/10 of those bases are important military installations and 1/5 of those bases are anything more then administrative or research installations. A majority of those bases for the national guard are auxiliary facilities who's only objective is to serve as a staging and training grounds for regional Nation Guard training one weekend a month and maybe the occasional Law enforcement or Specialized training event. Vandenberg Air Force Base (Which Fort Zancudo is based off) isn't even home to any traditional military units, its mostly home to space command and some launch pads for the Air Force's space program where they launch satellites and other classified shit. So unless your ready to RP as airplane mechanics who have nothing to do for 12 hours a day and never touch a rifle besides at a shooting range the answer remains No. 

As for Coast Guard? We have FD and PD, Anything that the coast guard would do can be handled by PD or FD. Besides they're would be nothing for the Coast Guard to actually do. I can count on one hand how many times I've seen boats used on this server.

Edited by Henning

There won't be any military factions for the foreseeable future. There's simply not enough demand for the purposes any of the branches of the military would serve. The LSFD is more than capable of performing any search and rescue tasks that the United States Coast Guard also carry out. The LSPD has handled the situations it's come across without any National Guard assistance for as long as I've been on the server.

The other tasks that each branch of the military carry out are either done in other countries or they don't happen on the server at all. There's no point giving a group of people some small boats to drive around in circles or spawn in some aircraft for them to RP fixing. People will get bored of that really quickly.

Please perform some research before making suggestions in future, especially when it involves suggesting factions.

• Applaud 1
  • Keane locked this topic