[Saints News] Review - AURA

Barriss

9cRQdW5.png

9SeGiXtkmTq1rQIBST5k_26_4e2dbc4db67dcc54

AURA - Grand Opening Review

An Aura of mediocrity

Aska Redan

Angel or Demon - you decide. Does Los Santos' newest theme club ascend to the heavens, or is it to be cast down into a lake of fire and brimstone? All the marketing around this club had me very interested - dueling DJs, theme outfits, and tons of promotion on Facebrowser. The makings of a bombastic party with all the biggest names around town having expressed interest in attending. Despite all the noise made on social media, the club opened with the sound of a firecracker. Sadly AURA's aura was quite weak.

lilAUX0.jpg

A devil in red, a threatening aura

When I entered the club, I bore witness to this rather interesting amalgamation of HEAT and The Garden. Similar themes and motifs are explored everywhere in the design - white marble around the front bar, an expansive dance floor with two cozy lounges to each side, and private booths hinged on the upper rungs. Up the stairs is the lounge of the club, complete with a viewing deck - the perfect spot to brood, take pics and relax as a pseudo-VIP area of the club. To the rear, we had another stairway that led into the lofty VIP area. VIP was quite spacious and had a view of the Crastenburg across the street.  Overall, I quite liked the interior design of the club. The Location left much to be desired, though. The sounds of aircraft flying over isn't something you'll be able to drown out.

SlevTQe.jpg

A packed dance floor of Angels and Demons.

G4kWG3x.png

Straight from the comics

The promise of a DJ battle was big. I almost expected to see two booths, the DJs going back and forth trying to entice the crowds over to their side. Alas, we got mostly average beats from each DJ, both of them having fairly similar sounding setlists that didn't inspire much.  I'm more disappointed that there weren't remixed versions of "The Devil Went Down to Georgia." or "Stairway to Heaven." Missed opportunities all around. However, I enjoyed all the outfits and costumes that came from this promotion.

Various design issues did plague the club. To quote Ashley Hendricks, owner of AURA, "The building is surrounded with top-notch isolation materials, hence you don't hear the planes." She said this despite her office not being but twenty-feet from a large bay window.

Uh1wXWo.jpg

The VIP lounge before peak time.

The most glaring design oversight was in the VIP area. There is a glass balcony there overlooking the club. The problem is that it's transparent - from the underside too - so women who stood on there tonight, including myself, unwittingly let most the club take a peek.  She acknowledged this flaw and pledged to have it remedied by the time they open next week, but this shouldn't have been an issue at all. 

Oddly, Hendricks boasted to me, "We're the only club that has a parking lot.", which is a false statement. Harmony Lounge, The Garden, and Galaxy all have some means of a parking lot. The high price of entrance will dissuade many people from wanting to enter. The pricey door fee, location and the slew of issues faced tonight will not be forgotten easily.

Negatives aside the club has immense promise. Ashley has informed me that the club is ever-changing and that she will remedy many of these issues prior to the next opening. She also told me that each opening will have its own unique theme. To make this happen from week-to-week furniture will be changed, moved around, or replaced entirely to suit the given theme. Aura is worth a visit when they open their doors but this grand opening left much to be desired.

Saints News

#ForSaintsBySaints

More From Saints

Saints News - A Harmony Review

Saints News - Hales' Tales: Club Royale

saints-acc.png

Edited by Barriss

Username: Riri

Comment: Sorry Aska, but I have to disagree with you. First of all. On a stage there were two sets of decks. Ayana and I were stepping off it while taking turns for our own comfort and to make sure we don’t know what are we going to play. Second of all, we represented two different genres: she played pure techno, I was sticking to future house and finally - this article proves that you weren’t there throughout the party - didn’t you hear “Angels” by Morandi and “God is a Girl” played by me? You’re a frequent guest during my gigs, and I told that many times. Playing remixes versions of classic rock songs is the breaching of DJ’s first commandment. You just can’t unless you want the people to leave. On top of it all. When the club got closed we still kept 20+ people over there. Next time if you want to do a club review. Stay a little longer than 45 minutes

• Applaud 1

Username: Bikes4life

Comment: The party was pretty lively when I was there, everyone appeared to be having a great time and the atmosphere was great. I literally have no idea why you're writting this, you probably didn't stay inside the club for over 10 minutes if you're writting this.  Guess Aura's competitors are feeling threatned...

What you wrote is a false statement, Galaxy and the Garden DO NOT have a parking like Aura does, lets get that right,  that's just one of the inaccuracies you wrote in your news report.

Nice try.

Username: mtq

Comment: Enjoyed my time at the club and the overall vibe was great but it gave me mixed feelings too. The bars and the whole club itself closed way too early. Knowing this I won't be paying for VIP access next time. What also disappointed me is that there was no security to be seen on the parking lot during closing time. I seen dozens of wasted people getting in their cars to drive home without a care in the world. Even found a drunk guy in the passenger seat of my car. tried to go back inside to call security but the club was promptly locked the moment I left the building. Also, the toilet stalls in the mens restroom were all locked, so I was relieved to find the restroom was clear of vomit & feces. And whats that nonsense about planes? I didn't hear a single plane over the loud music..

@Riri "Playing remixes versions of classic rock songs is the breaching of DJ’s first commandment."

I find this statement to be in very poor taste. You're wrong about that on so many levels.

And the fact that you feel the need to get all defensive over one or two comments in the comment section of a news page is disappointing and laughable to say the least. I thought a big name like you would have bigger fish to fry. If this is really you in the first place. 

Edited by Raindance

Username: cshaw

Comment: I almost expected to see a well rounded review from an avid club goer who could enjoy the night with ease, but alas, I got an average review from a less than average writer.

@mtq I find it funny that you’d say it’s laughable that she is defending herself from comments on a news page as if brand image isn’t important, of course she’s gonna defend herself you doofus. Also, I love the way you’ve said her statement is ‘in poor taste’ yet you’ve completely left out the reasoning, that’s in poor taste in my opinion. And yeah, she’s not gonna reply to your comment because she does have bigger fish to fry, Saints News is a big fish and you’re most definitely not. Sucks to suck bro.

Edited by joshmd

Username: mtq

Comment: @cshaw The bigger house tunes you hear today were born from sampling classic rock music, so saying it's a 'breach of a DJ's first commandment' is an complete joke and clearly shows how inexperienced this DJ actually is. If this person really is who they claim to be, they would verify their identity by giving a statement through official means, not in the comment section of a news outlet LOL

Username: DJBliss

Comment:

"The sounds of aircraft flying over isn't something you'll be able to drown out."

What airplane noise? I be there from 19:30 to 23:30 and hear no plane when music play!

"The promise of a DJ battle was big. I almost expected to see two booths, the DJs going back and forth trying to entice the crowds over to their side."

Is this rap battle? No, it is DJ battle, it is annoying when genre or tempo change every couple minute, think logical! Show me club in LS who do DJ battle like this? You won't. Having two DJs in club and no issues in between play is task of organisation, you need to appreciate more!

"Alas, we got mostly average beats from each DJ, both of them having fairly similar sounding setlists that didn't inspire much."

Average beat? You ever been to real club or seen a real DJ set? You want every song to be pop song or shit from radio? You saying similar sounding setlist, so you cannot differentiate between genre of electronic music, perhaps? Various genre we hear on night: House (Sub-genre: Deep house, future house, electro house, Chicago house, Techno house), Drum&Bass, UK Bass, Techno, Garage, Remixed Classics, Electro.

"I'm more disappointed that there weren't remixed versions of "The Devil Went Down to Georgia." or "Stairway to Heaven." Missed opportunities all around."

Yes, let me play COUNTRY or ROCK music at club, hahaha, okay. Just because title of song fit theme!

Edited by xanx
  • Upvote 1

Name: Av

Comment: The most overpriced club I've ever been to, not to mention how terrible the music or security staff were. The people defending the club in the comments are nothing but merely employees of the club. Never going there again.

Name: Ani

Comment: I'm going to have to agree with it being overpriced, it was six hundred fifty dollars to get in, and a glass of vodka cost me two hundred dollars. The music was alright, it was at least better than Bahamas.

Edited by Onson
  • mj2002 locked this topic
  • Wuhtah unlocked this topic