GTAW-Roleplay 1.0 Reveal

8 minutes ago, Samantha said:

Oh my god, I'm in love!

But I actually didn't really understand the green and grey money thing.

Green is safe money that the 'system' (government and banks) is aware of and can tax you on.

Grey money is riskier money that the government doesn't know about and can be used for tax evasion, cash in your pocket for example, if I have $20 in my wallet the government and my bank can't track that, not easily. While it means it can't be included when my tax and income brackets are determined - it also means if it is stolen (which is easier to do because it's not in a bank) there's no safety net or insurance that will refund me.

Grey money is okay to an extent, but if you keep considerable sums hidden away for means of not being taxed it can be seriously punished if found out. Look at the news lately - one of Trump's fairly significant campaign members is in extra hot water because they kept their money in different countries to avoid having to deal with full US taxes while still living a lavish lifestyle.

Just now, Wisci said:

Green is safe money that the 'system' (government and banks) is aware of and can tax you on.

Grey money is riskier money that the government doesn't know about and can be used for tax evasion, cash in your pocket for example, if I have $20 in my wallet the government and my bank can't track that, not easily. While it means it can't be included when my tax and income brackets are determined - it also means if it is stolen (which is easier to do because it's not in a bank) there's no safety net or insurance that will refund me.

Grey money is okay to an extent, but if you keep considerable sums hidden away for means of not being taxed it can be seriously punished if found out. Look at the news lately - one of Trump's fairly significant campaign members is in extra hot water because they kept their money in different countries to avoid having to deal with full US taxes while still living a lavish lifestyle.

I see, thank you for the explanation!

Edited by Samantha
3 minutes ago, Samantha said:

I see, thank you for the explanation!

I should also add grey money can also be 'dirty money', which might be familiar. If you want to go rob a store, you might want to use cash to buy the car you rob it with so that they can't track the vehicle back to you, for example. They can also track stolen money if you try to put it in a bank account - so it's best to launder it first.

Glad I could clear things up, I hope :)

Edited by Wisci