Heavy RP, realism, suspension of disbelief and char depth

Topinambour

32 minutes ago, EliH said:

Sure doesn’t seem that way when all the FM staff who were super anal and 100% realistic are no longer on staff, and Nervous is opening up faction applications.

The mass resignations were absolutely fuck all to do with the illegal factions (though it added to a lot of 'fuck it' 's). I was pretty tired of reading about spies, terrorists and female assassins to be fair. 

I have no clue what direction the server is going to head in, all I hope is that the people that remain enforce a good standard of quality and that we don't start a game of dominos whereby one retarded thing opens, so then another thinks they can too and so on and so forth. I wish anyone trying the best of luck.

• Upvote 6
36 minutes ago, KFN said:

I certainly agree they shouldn't allow the creation on entirely unrealistic factions like some kind of ninja faction, however I do believe it should be slackened to allow a bit more free reign and allowing gangs/mobs etc what you would definitely find believable to be in a western setting, without having to be a near direct rip off of some real life criminal organisation and with more proof or research than that or level 2 college courses.

The issue is, GTAWorld's varying Illegal RPing communities (The Blacks, The Mexicans, The Russians, The Whites, The Bikers, The Italians, The Asians) have existing lore spanning back to the beginning of the server. The Italians are the best example:

Italian organized crime first arrived in Los Santos when Sal Lena, a mob captain from Kansas city in his late 70's moved here and established a crew on behalf of the family back in Kansas City. That crew RPed for months establishing themselves and internally RPing with their "Kansas City Family" till they were able to earn their seat at the American Mob's 'Commission' and with it the title of 'Crime Family' becoming the Los Santos Crime Family. They ruled over the Los Santos underworld for over a year until Underboss Roy Capra was arrested. Sal Lena fled into hiding and the Los Santos Crime family splintered into two factions, The Conti Crew led by Capo Peter Conti and the Alo crew lead by Capo Thomas Alo, After failing to meet an agreement about what to do in the fallout following Roy Capra's arrest, Peter Conti lead Thomas Alo into a trap where Joseph Campagna executed him. With the Los Santos Crime Family in the middle of a brutal civil war, Several other crews began to emerge coming from larger mob territories farther east in the form of the Lagrusa Crew , The South Florida Crew  which later dissolved, the remaining members forming a smaller crew known as The Mirra Crew. Now, three crews will have to either work out a peace deal or fight for the crown. Each of them wanting the same thing, earning the Crime Family title.

I linked as many Character pages and Faction threads as I could. I hope you look at least some of the screens in each. These characters and stories, the events that unfolded ICly, even events that were almost two years ago at this point are still referenced ICly today. There was a period for about a year on this server where only one Italian faction existed. Many tried to make new ones but they were all denied. Why? Because the Italian faction already in existence was a Crime Family and had earned that title after months of IC progress. They controlled all Italian organized crime in Los Santos just like the Kansas City Crime Family controls all Italian organized crime in Kansas City. When LSCF closed, the doors opened to other crews as there was no longer a crime family controlling Los Santos.

What I'm trying to say is sometimes even the most thought out factions don't fit with the servers current IC lore. Its a fact that a lot of people don't understand because if they are making a new italian faction they probably aren't currently active in the servers Italian community. They don't know whats happening in the LCN community because they aren't apart of it. 

This is why its suggested to join existing factions instead of forming your own.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

I just think people concern themselves too much with the whole standard talk. There is indeed a standard to be maintained. One can only hope the staff team continues to uphold such standard, and take appropriate action against those who don't follow suit in realizing this is a serious role-playing platform and it intends to maintain its reputation that way.

There's endless flaws in everything and the only way you're gonna be able to enjoy this is if you loosen up a bit and take everything with a grain of salt. I'll comment on specific things I don't see fit to a player and I'd, at max, link a few guides, some of which I've made, for them to look at and reflect upon. The moment you stop taking joy into the very basic aspects of role-playing a character and developing said character along is the moment you need to reconsider why you're here.

I wholeheartedly support realism but I urge everybody to realize there's going to be at least one valid argument against such tendencies, and what the vast majority of the server doesn't grasp is that this is, indeed, a game, but a role-playing game. It's fit to foster a plethora of players, and whether you play an hour a week or ten hours a day, you're still gonna feel good about it and enjoy your time. It's obvious the more one's going to be active, the more they'll find themselves more invested, knowledgeable and with bigger achievements, but that's that in any other game. Too many players are vested in the idea that they're supposed to just dictate what their character does instead of finding the joy of role-playing a character from scratch (with minimal background, depending on the broad idea you choose to portray) and go lucky, be happy.

Perhaps if administration could vest into players that a role-playing server is a storytelling platform where there's no silver lining or definitive end goal, the community'd be in better shape. Right now everybody makes a character, thinks up of some stuff they want to tick off on a checklist, do it, then sit on it. You're not supposed to have a goal. You're supposed to make a character and see where the life your character's gonna have in the World universe takes you. What's fun in all of this is the ride, not the destination. Once it's all over you can look back and see what you've been doing, and then you can compare whether you've portrayed what you've been portraying good enough, and move on to the next.

Just steer clear of the cancer and that's a recipe to be able to have fun along the way on the server. I'm having a blast as it is, and quite frankly, I feel that it comes from the fact that there's no peer pressure revolving around how one role-plays, One can role-play anything they want no matter how niché it is for as long as they're a) competent role-players, who have developed said concept and b) can double down and express what they're doing instead of being dumbfounded when approached — and that in essence is a nice thing to have.

Edited by liq
  • Upvote 3

''Realism'' couldn't be brough up for discussion.

Hopefully with the new FM team, It'll be up for discussion.

There are lots of subjects regarding realism to discuss about, things such as ''that would not happen IRL''.

It is easy to bash and deny ideas, but hard to discuss, decide and return feedback to the players.

• Applaud 1
5 hours ago, A_Acko said:

Hopefully with the new FM team, It'll be up for discussion.

The thing is, people are so quick to point the finger at FM for wanting to enforce a set of standards but this ultimately lies with management. 

The current FM team is not experienced enough to deal with it, especially from an illegal RP POV as the staff team itself as a whole is top-heavy in PD orientation which means attention is sparse, so I hope they as a subteam receive some help from PLM and management in setting some guidelines as I tried to implement before I left. The server in its entirety would most definitely benefit, at least then there's a mutual direction that both staff and players could attempt to follow. 

• Upvote 1

“ItS aLl fM’s FaUlT”

FM didn’t come up with these rules and strict guidelines, it was simply their job to enforce them. Now you’ve got all these people who’s ideas got shut down for not fitting the server crawling out of the woodwork to complain. The system works fine as is, new faces bring new perspectives and maybe that might change your chances of getting accepted. 

Its funny because it’s very clear that all these people complaining about FM in the past couple threads are clearly salty because their ideas were denied. Now they’re trying hard to change the standards, not because it would be good for the server. But because it means their idea becomes acceptable. This thread has nothing to do with changing the server for the better, this all about a small vocal group who has an axe to grind with the former FM team and are only speaking up because their names are blue now not green. No wonder @eyebrows hasn’t sugar coated shit in this thread, ya’ll have treated her and her entire team like shit. More so now then when they were in staff!

At the end of the day, as was previously stated. The standards for faction RP on this server are not set by FM, they are simply the enforcers. They are all still players, they aren’t some paid administrator. They did all this out of their own pocket on their own time for you. If you actually wanted positive change you’d make a suggestion thread suggesting changing the RP requirements for the server but we all know how well that topic would go. So instead you sit here bashing the old FM team on a thread thats Original post is just a rambling cluttered manifesto by a group of salty players who have done nothing in the last few days but brigade threads and make every possible issue the server is having about how FM is forcing to much “realism”. 

• Applaud 2

Facebrowser famous barista by day, a ruthless executioner who loots your corpse by night. I don't believe there is any problem with the rules in place, but I do believe that everybody should roleplay a character, to say the least, and keep that character consistent. I have roleplayed with people who take things very seriously, people who push for character development and consistency, and those are always the most entertaining people to roleplay with. What I don't like is when someone who really shouldn't be committing crimes, or on the opposite end of that spectrum; someone who shouldn't be applying for PF licenses does so, these are only examples of course. I think everyone would benefit if there were more consistency based rules in place and if they were enforced more-so, even if it's as gentle as a warning, no harm, no foul- people make mistakes, and can always better themselves. ?

I agree with the sentiment of the post, this is certainly a game and people should enjoy themselves; however, it's also a role-playing server, that said? Play your role!