Punching Other Players Scriptwise - Clarification on rule 2.0: Powergaming.

Liam_Airey

This feels like a rant more than anything else.

Script removes the grey area. We've all got the same keybinds. If you caused the fight, then be prepared to take the consequences for your actions. If you want to fight back, you've got the left click and the spacebar for it, if you don't want to fight then run away, simple; completely removing that is just pointless. No body wants to ready 250 character emotes on a fight. 

No one has an unfair advantage in a fight because we all have the same keybinds and abilities to respond and defend ourselves. Wouldn't call it powergaming because your character got what they deserved in a situation.

1 hour ago, hipsxn said:

No one has an unfair advantage in a fight because we all have the same keybinds and abilities to respond and defend ourselves. Wouldn't call it powergaming because your character got what they deserved in a situation.

I'm omw to punch you to death with my anorexic 5'1 char who knows nothing of fighting, and you're henceforth forbidden to ever open a single report about it, per your very own post. 

EDIT: In case it wasn't clear I'm kidding, I don't even have such a character ? It's just that the "we have the same keybinds, it's fair" reply exclusively takes into account the OOC aspects and doesn't consider any sort of IC element, which is a bit of a problem on an RP server where IC aspects are supposed to be... rather important ^^' 

Edited by Topinambour

I use to /always/ form emote, in-depth. before initiating roleplay, usually in the form of a warning. I.E. "/me begins to step up to the person's face." with a next me "/me shoves the person" etc...

However, toxic players leads to a toxic environment, as all of my other characters have been assaulted without an opportunity to respond, causing my character to undergo such habits, in the past, resulting in being /ajailed.

This habit must be broken on a server-wide scale, as I've always had mixed responses from admins on this issue whenever brawls arise. Hence, I believe that admins need to agree that reactions are mandatory, unless a player is potentially assaulted from behind etc... Even then, one must write "/do How does X react to the strike", to indicate that, despite possessing the advantage, the victim has a chance to display the outcome of being rushed from behind with a "me/ falls to the ground on his stomach" etc...

Edited by DLimit

Honestly when I go head to head with someone with punches, I do something like 

/me attempts to rush the person, aiming his right hand at the jaw of John Doe.

In this manner I give enough time to the other player to respond to this, and continue our fight in /me & /do instead of punches, unless we both agreed to brawl in ooc beforehand.

18 hours ago, Veisalgia said:

It is quite a gray area, considering the script doesn't take into account combat experience, height and weight of the people involved. I'm of the opinion that once a fight is initiated through role play, it should be agreed upon by those involved on whether or not they want to role play it out or script fight it out - rather than just bum rushing the other person after writing a sloppy /me; this gives the person who swings first the advantage even though it might not realistically reflect what would happen in that scenario.

This, into addition that the sync for fighting is hit or miss, as with so many things. There's always a level of dissonance to script fights, guns or otherwise, as they only really take into account player skill and who moves first.

I understand some people will still react like they're a superhero - but I'll give the same answer to people who prefer script fights as to people who prefer rp fights - if there's issues, just report it. Either side of the tracks you're going to have situations where someone tries to abuse game mechanics or the time and advantage of reacting to a /me.

I don’t like script wise fighting. i’d much rather rp. Recently I was in a fight and the other party ignored my /me and started going ham on me and refused to rp, saying in /b “no one likes to rp”. Think that it shouldn’t have to be said that this is illogical lol. my point: rp of the fight helps take out ooc, meaning lag, knowing how to fight, etc and replaces it with a more immersive fight taking weight height and other IC values into effect.

Could always set the unarmed damage modifier to something low. Perhaps that could work?

I know we're talking about a rule suggestion here, but why not give it a thought? I know we shouldn't rely on the script for something like this, but it looks like spam punching and rapidly pressing whatever button is used to punch - is the culprit.

Edited by Soupiest
14 hours ago, Soupiest said:

Could always set the unarmed damage modifier to something low. Perhaps that could work?

Yeah but most street fights are short. all it takes is one good punch to knock someone out. obviously it’s not going to happen every time but street fights are luck and skill. The “Better Fighter” could be k/o’d by a well placed shot. 

• 1 month later...
On 9/29/2019 at 4:52 PM, Topinambour said:

I'm omw to punch you to death with my anorexic 5'1 char who knows nothing of fighting, and you're henceforth forbidden to ever open a single report about it, per your very own post. 

EDIT: In case it wasn't clear I'm kidding, I don't even have such a character ? It's just that the "we have the same keybinds, it's fair" reply exclusively takes into account the OOC aspects and doesn't consider any sort of IC element, which is a bit of a problem on an RP server where IC aspects are supposed to be... rather important ^^' 

yea you’re right, lots of people will ignore their character’s weaknesses...

but it could be like david and goliath, just because you are small doesn’t mean you cant fight 

My opinion is that fights should be role-played out unless agreed otherwise by both parties. This is due to several reasons. The first one is that fighting in GTA V is crap. It's been dumbed down too much to the point where fights are too simple. A system similar to GTA IV's would be way better for this sort of role-playing game but this is impossible to change. Thirdly, sync is an issue in my experience.

I would not like to be "rushed" and punched to death while I'm trying to type up a response. That's not good role-play. Not to mention there are different character builds, some are taller, some are shorter. Others are more muscular, others are skinnier. Some know how to fight, some don't. These are all important aspects to consider before engaging in a fight with another player.

While a fight with no role-play might appear more "fair" that's only if both players have the mentality OOC that they must win.

I'd personally include a gamey factor in role-played fights with fair handicaps depending on the character's body, experience and outright luck to fight against this. That would certainly be fairer to both players and not as frustrating in my opinion. Something like /dice, higher number "wins" an emote etc.

• mj2002 locked this topic